Sunday, June 13, 2010

Henry David Thoreau For A Sunday Morning


I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.

   Henry David Thoreau, Walden, 1854
Jabacue said, in reference to my accident, that he learned from an accident he had that everything happens for a reason. Since I read that, I've been wondering…then when I came upon the Thoreau quote, I felt so strongly that I had found a reason. I've lived here alone with my dogs, with few other distractions, for almost four years. I've paid attention to the changing seasons, the beauty of the desert mountains, the wildlife in the canyon, the clouds, the sun rise, and the sunset. But have I lived deliberately? Do I know what it means?  I still have much to learn and discover, that's all I know for now.

On a less serious note: Today, the dogs and I are having a spa day! We'll all get brushed and have pedicures. I'm not sure I can give anyone a pedicure with my arm in a sling, but I'll try.









12 comments:

  1. OMG, is it Father's Day! DH left already and I didn't say anything about it. :( I thought it was next weekend!

    I don't know that I have lived deliberately, I just keep plugging along as well as I can.

    Spa day, how nice, especially for the dogs! I know I have to do my dogs again, it really isn't fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems like such a simple lesson, but it is one that you spend your whole life learning.

    Have a happy spa day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Father's Day is next weekend...my daddy told me so! ;-)wink

    ReplyDelete
  4. I learned something from you today Miss Canyon Girl...the LinkWithin option is a grat addition, so thank you very much.

    Yes, Nova Scotia has a lot of sailboats because the 1000's of beaches and 1800 miles of coast line.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sharon: See Sophie had to correct me and I hope I didn't worry you too much with my early Father's Day announcement. I knew it was on the 20th, but I thought today was the 20th.

    See I need to live more deliberately -- so I at least will know what date it is.

    Sophie: Thank you sweetheart!! And I'm glad you learned to link within. I need to learn how to link to my previous posts. Do you know how to do that?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice quote:) Sometimes we all need a little 'wake up' call to really appreciate the ordinariness of our lives. Each moment is special and unique and to be treasured. Your temp gauge says it's 75 degrees in Tehachapi -- yahoo! Glad to see it finally quit snowing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What is this a big 'family reunion' of some sort?!
    My interpretation of living deliberately is that we learn to focus on what we are doing in the present time. And as Louise said it takes a lifetime to learn to do so. Why not, it's all we have.
    Great quote by Thoreau.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rachael: It's just too windy -- other than that the weather is perfect.

    Jabacue: That is my interpretation too and something I've spent a lifetime working on. But now I'm here, alone, no sounds, no distractions, no driving, no shopping, no trips, no lunch dates, and so on, so I feel instead of missing that, let me see if I can be quiet inside my busy head.

    Love my blogging family.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I sure don't miss that weather!

    ReplyDelete
  10. ... as long as they don't try to give you a pedicure, you'll be fine:))

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thoreau has some great quotes doesn't he. I hate wind too..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sandra: Don't put any ideas in their heads.

    Cottage Garden Farmer: Somehow I ended up in one of the windiest places in the country - go figure!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment.. ~~ Inger

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails