Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Wednesday's Book & Fire Clouds At Sunset

Before I took my break, I had decided to share my thoughts on the books I've read lately and I set aside Wednesdays as my book day. I'm challenging myself here because I have no experience at all in this kind of writing. I also want to mix my blog up a bit and write about all kinds of different things, while still centering it on life in a desert canyon. And Wednesday's Book is a step towards that goal.


The Family Orchard
By Nomi Eve

Ah, Nomi Eve! Who is this woman, I wondered, as I read her first novel not too long ago. It had been sitting in my bookcase for the past six years or so – looking difficult. Some books do that to me. Fortunately, I picked it up and began to read. And I was transported to an enchanted land, filled with both reality and dreams. There I met exquisite women and men with magic skills, people who could dream and who could tell stories so fantastic you never knew or cared if they were real.

Nomi Eve is blessed with magical writing skills, there are twists and turns in this novel that will enchant and bewitch you. The story follows several generations of a family over two hundred years. It begins in Russia; most of it takes place in Palestine, later Israel; and it ends in the United States. Here is a quote from the back cover: "Intensely imagined, at once sensual, spiritual, and humorous, an artful mixture of dreams and reality, legend and fact, this impressive novel takes risks with narrative method and succeeds beautifully." -- Publishers Weekly

And it is that risk Nomi Eve takes with the narrative that makes the book so wonderful. To imagine these stories in your mind and then write a first novel like The Family Orchard is amazing. I loved it.

Fire Clouds At Sunset

Yesterday, a there was a wild-fire some miles from us. Looking out my window it seemed to be just behind the hills in front of our house, but it wasn't that close. I took these pictures at sunset. I don't see any smoke this morning, so, hopefully, it has been contained.




Have a great day!

11 comments:

  1. Oh, I can't wait until my eyes get bad enough (oh, that sounds terrible) for me to have something done with these cataracts! Reading used to be a joy, not it gives me eye strain and headaches. I just love a book that is so interesting that a bomb could go off and I wouldn't hear it! I love historical novels! That sounds like a good one!

    Terribly dry there, I suppose fires are a real problem. Nice pictures though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I rediscovered my love for reading in the past year and I love getting totally lost in a book. If I don't like a book I just switch to another one as there are too many books out there to struggle through a specific one. What do you do if you don't like a book?

    Sharon... what about audio books? They might be a good thing if you can't read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sharon: I like Sandra's idea of audio books. You can borrow those at the library.

    Sandra: I do the same thing if I don't like a book. I tried The Time Traveler's Wife, but couldn't get into it, so I will give it to the library.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love reading historical novels!

    hopefully the fire has settled down but gorgeous photos!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your visit...Sounds like a good read...and the pictures are very beautiful! (Funny about your shadow picture and some people!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have thought of the audio books, but believe my own imagination would not be spurred if someone is reading to me. Reading, to be able to go back and reread certain passages and get lost without the sounds of the house to disturb me, is my preference. Thanks anyway, that will be last resort.

    Re: your response to my blog - I didn't get the 3rd picture, it was a total mess of two furs. DC tends to make nice and then bite or slime, she has been known to beat Jack up, that's why the look on Jack's face.

    Also, I get the same story from my family, yet they never say anything, I doubt they even go to my blog.

    Have a great afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The novel sounds like a good read. Will add it to my list.
    The pics of fire are great. Hope it stays far away from you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice to meet you! You live in an amazing place...beautiful photographs! I look forward to reading your blog...xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amy: I just noticed that the canyon is very smoky. But the fire should still be away from here.
    Julie: I took almost a month off from blogging --it's good to be back.
    Sharon: What a baaad kitty. I could tell Jack was expecting something more than kisses.
    Jabacue: As I said above, it has gotten very smoky here in the canyon. I think I will try to find our local radio station, if there is such a thing. I have people I can call if I want to find out more. It seems to be burning in the same area, but the winds have been very strong today.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the review on the book. Will also add it to my list.
    Glad the smoke was not visible this morning. Tis the season for those nasty wildfires. Thankfully we haven't has any. Well, except for a few very small ones that were put out asap.
    Looking forward to next Weds. post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tracey: It is so nice to meet you too. I'm looking forward to some photos of the fens, perhaps, and to get to laugh with you some more.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment.. ~~ Inger

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails