Saturday, August 21, 2010

Diabetes Meeting Inspires Me To Do Yard Work


On Thursday, I went to the diabetes support group meeting in town. This time, Eve, our diabetes educator, covered the American Association of Diabetes Educators 2010 Convention.

For those of you new to my blog, I've had type 1 diabetes since I was 49 years old. It's more common that children and young adults get it, but adult onset happens. Only about 10% of all people with diabetes have type 1. Most people have type 2.

We talked about heart disease, one of the many complications of diabetes. Whether we have diabetes or not, I think we all know what we need to eat and how much to help prevent heart disease. So I will only mention these two recommendations: Meditation (prayers count) for five minutes twice daily and exercise for 150 minutes per week.

Eve also reported on recommendations that the Cleveland Clinic made to their employees. These included meditation, dietary changes, and exercise, starting with 100 minutes of movement a day that should include 30 minutes of walking. And then build up from there.

Since I just hate the word exercise, I really liked the word MOVEMENT. It has such a nice ring to it. I know I have been unwell and spent far too much time sitting right here, at the computer, writing, blogging, reading blogs and so on. So movement interested me and this morning I decided to keep track of how much I move right now. Of course that made me move MORE, but that's a good thing.

In future Diabetes Support Group meetings we will cover:

Eating Healthy on a Budget
Merits of the Mediterranean Diet
Let's get Physical

I'm looking forward to all of those.

Of all the products that were displayed at the convention, the coolest one, as far as I'm concerned, was an insulin syringe with a retracting needle. Since it's illegal to dump sharps as regular trash, this would make life easier for people who use syringes. They will no longer have to worry about disposing of their needles safely and lawfully in special containers at special sites and so on.

The weirdest (to me) was something called OraMoist – A New Approach to Dry Mouth, Now Available at Walgreen's! So a moisturizer for the inside of your mouth. Hopefully, we will all continue to drink water and remember that thirst and a dry mouth are warning signs of high blood sugars. I guess, to be fair, there may be some who suffer from chronic dry mouth that would be helped by this product.

This morning, I felt motivated to move, so this is what happened:


Starting at 7:15 a.m., I walked Angel to the mailbox to put a letter in for the mail carrier to pick up. We ran into our neighbor on the road and chatted for a few minutes while being eyed suspiciously by his steer. Total time back and forth: 20 minutes.


Back home I cleaned the dog enclosure, did three minutes on the exercise bike, and then decided to rake some of the grass cuttings that were left after Rachael and I mowed the grass/weeds earlier in the summer. Using my bad arm, I figured it would be a good way to help strengthen it.


Yes, I know: This is the smallest stack of hay you ever saw! But I did it using both arms. It will be slow going until I get stronger.


Another thing that has been getting on my nerves outside: All the branches sprouting at the bottom of this tree.


So I went to the shed and got the proper tool, whatever they are called escapes me right now. And started cutting….


Oh boy, using that tool really, really hurt, but I got the thicker branches cut. And no pain, no gain, so I figure I can count that as part of my shoulder exercises for today. Tomorrow, I'll get the rest with a regular pair of scissors. So that was my morning and my score:

Movement: 105 minutes, of which 15 was walking, and 3 were on the exercise bike. So I guess I can sit here for the rest of the day, reading blogs (just kidding)!


I hope you all have a great day!

15 comments:

  1. I tried to get my exercise in early in the morning too, because once I get comfortable or busy doing other stuff I forget about it really easy or push it to a later timepoint and never get to it lol...oh my logic sometimes..
    Glad you are feeling up to some yard work, just don't over do it...Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done! I like the word movement....much better than exercise! I know I go on about it, but boy don't you live in a wonderful part of the world! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Inger!
    Good that you have a motivating support group! I know I should move more, and I will, as soon as this heat and humidity go away! I promise. Movement of any kind is good and so is the right kinds of foods. You'll have to fill me in on that one! ;-)
    We just call that cutting tool, a loppers, I don't know what they are really called. As soon as I can I need to get out there with mine!
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tina: Hugs back to you!

    Tracey: England is lovely too, so is Sweden. I guess most places have something going for them, but I'm glad you like it here.

    Sharon: The key for me was that I made it outside by 7:15 and was back inside at 9. It was already starting to get hot then. It has been 100F here in the canyon the last week, but cool in the early mornings. I know how awful it is back east and south. I lived in NJ for 12 years. So hot at night too and that terrible humidity, so you take it easy, OK.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I, too, like the word movement, better than exercise. I'm so glad to be getting back to my nature walks, now that the humidity has decreased. Today, I walked the backside at the track for three hours. I guess that counts, too.

    You keep going. Work that bad arm, but not too hard. The old saying "no pain, no gain" isn't always true.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cindi: Yes, movement makes me want to do something while exercise makes me just tune out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow ! You did really well on moving more today -it is always so motivating when one writes it all down as you have .... and yes, I reckon you've earned yourself the right to sit for the rest of the day browsing blogs and surfing the internet ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lynda: I can't stop thinking about those potatoes! But I think I go and take a nap now, it's 2:00 p.m. here and getting really HOT!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know, those potatoes... I had to stop.

    Inger I too hate the exercise without purpose. I don't consider it being "healthful" as purpose.

    Bird watching, nature nutting, photography... that is a great reason to go for a walk

    In your environment I would add star gazing and watching the sun rise / set . dark clear skies we just don't get here in the city.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Upupaepops: I watch the sun rise everyday. It is so beautiful. In the summer I'm just glad when the sun is gone b/c it's so darned hot here. But we get beautiful sunsets the rest of the year. And the stars! I watch them from my bed at night. I guess those activities could pass for meditation.

    ReplyDelete
  11. When you move, you don't cut corners! :))

    ReplyDelete
  12. Inger, sorry, my mistake. Edit the gadget where you added the BLES button. Under the windows of title and captions there is a window for a link and you should add this one: http://www.blesele.org/
    I noticed it didn't work.... let me know if it works now, please.
    Have a nice Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good to hear that you are doing these activities for your health.
    I deal with Type 2. I am going to the gym and doing water aerobics to get my leg limber and....joined a Zumba class!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Inger, we call those branches growing from the bottom of trees 'suckers'....they suck a lot of energy from the tree unnecessarily. Yes, get them off. When I was in university, my summer job was working for the Public Gardens in Halifax and one of my jobs was to remove those 'suckers' from the trees in the city.

    Support groups are great eh? I was in one last year after I was diagnosed with heart disease. It was a tremendous help for me. Meditation, diet and MOVEMENT (love it) are the keys in maintaining your health. Stick with it and you'll reap the benefits Inger.
    Jim

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment.. ~~ Inger

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails