Monday, October 25, 2010

Clouds Before the Storm

I hope you are not bored with my nature pictures, because I just couldn't resist these clouds that appeared yesterday morning.


Do you see the two ravens flying high into the clouds? 


Then the storm came last night. There was a storm warning for the high desert -- I thought for today, but it came in the middle of the night. The wind blew so hard against my bedroom window that I couldn't sleep.


So I finally went into the guest bedroom where it was quieter. Just as I was going to turn off the bedside lamp, the electricity went off and the smoke alarms gave off a pinging noise that scared Angel into a shivering and shaking fit. And she jumped up in the bed, followed by Samson. Then she stomped around in the bed, too scared to lay down and go to sleep. At least she got rid of Samson, who was very cool throughout the storm. 


So I just stayed awake and petted her until she calmed down. And, in my mind, I changed my mind about going to town today. I knew I would be just way too tired. When after a couple of hours, toward morning now, Angel and I finally snoozed off, the electric lights came on, the smoke alarms pinged, and the phone answering machine started talking, and Angel was off on yet another fearful fit.  


Practical old Swede that I am, I realized that this was my opportunity to get some coffee and breakfast made. Everything runs on electric here and I didn't know if it would hold up or go out again.


I had put some old trashcans without lids behind the house, out of sight, and filled them with recycle bottles and cans. As I looked out the window, I saw one trashcan way down in our field, beer cans, water bottles, a wine bottle, three old phonebooks, and various cartons that had been in the two trashcans strewn all over the place and being carefully checked out by a flock of ravens. Those birds don't waste any time, let me tell you. I went out and picked up the trashcan from the field. It had been full, now it was empty. I didn't see but a tiny bit of all the bottles, etc., that I had stuffed it with, so I assume a lot of cans and bottles are now strewn all over our land. So I will have some fun later on picking up bottles and cans. A crazy night with very, very high winds and lots and lots of rain. And next to no sleep for me.

And I am happy the satellite dish didn't blow out of joint and all is well with my Internet access.

22 comments:

  1. Wow, seems like a lot of people had storms last night! Your storm is probably on the way here now! They sure can make noise, can't they, with the season's change. Our poor dogs - some of them are so sensitive! Have fun finding your bottles and cans, that happened to us once, felt like I was picking up cans all day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor Angel! We had high winds last night and today too, and we're supposed to get our first snow tonight. We're moving out of Fall and into Winter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love these pics Inger. Keep them coming. Such strange cloud formations. That storm sounded really bad. We don't get many of those here too often but I like it when we do as long as all are safe and sound. Storms don't bother Sophie at all. She sleeps right through them!
    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love your cloud pictures! Those are some really strange and beautiful clouds. Yes, storms can make for a wild night. In Oklahoma, we get them frequently in the spring and fall. (Mostly spring.) Ours ususally come in late afternoon and last all evening long, just terrible and downright scary. But we love them. We have excellent weather guys here. They can tell us exactly what street the tornado is at, using radar. Amazing and it saves many lives. Glad all is well at your place, Inger!

    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sharon: Yeah, can you see me picking up beer cans all over the place? I should blog about that adventure.

    Terry: Are you getting our storm? No snow here yet at our altitude. I saw on TV there is some a bit higher up.

    Jabacue: Angel is OK with the storm, but the smoke alarms terrify her. I'm glad you arenot tired of the nature pics yet.

    Ninny: Living in tornado country would terrify me. You are very brave.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Had to laugh about your recycling trash strewn all over! Sorry you lost a lot of sleep. I feel so bad when dogs don't like storms and there's almost nothing you can do to calm them. In your case, you couldn't even turn on a light to "hide" the lightning (that helps a bit with my 2 scaredy-dogs.) Hope you get better rest tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You can certainly see the storm front in those cloud pics -- great job capturing that, Inger! It sounds like quite an eventful night. Sure glad your electricity came back on in the morning, instead of being out for the day, or even longer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are some beautiful pictures. Nature can be so gorgeous, how can you not take pictures?! Glad you made it through the night, even though you didn't get much sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never get bored with your pictures Inger... beautiful as always! What a night for you. Hope you sleep good tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are interesting cloud formations. I always enjoy the clouds when a storm is forming.

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are really unusual pictures.

    I am not sure i have ever seen formations like this. It looks like a combination of a lenticular and a thunderhead. Your environment holds so many surprises

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hmmm...not sure if I would have wanted your storm- or my snow.
    You can never tire of cloud pictures....I really like that 1st one!!!
    Hope you get to sleep tonight!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Have to chuckle because out lights went out sometime last night and we all got up late this morning.
    Those pics of the clouds are fabulous. Just fabulous.
    Here's a hug for Angel.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You've got some pretty cool, cloud photos. Never apologize for taking photos of our natural environment. That is what makes this world beautiful. What one of us can't see, another can capture for our enjoyment ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. That bit about the trash strewn all over the place and the fire alarm cracked me up! Keep your pictures coming please,those cloud formations are realy unusual,they look cold too!
    My first thought in the mornings with dips in the electricity supply is always...coffee,make some quick before the electricity gives. I can whip out something to still the hunger but have to get the kettle boiling for coffee!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  16. What great photos...popped over from Ocean Breezes. Nice blog!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Stunning pictures Inger! thanks for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for these beautiful sky photographs.

    Take a nap!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very nice formations, cool pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  20. wow, sounds like quite a storm! sorry you didn't get much sleep - that is never fun. good for you for putting off town. the pictures of the cloud formations are great. we didn't get the storm in my part of the high desert - but i totally know what you're talking about when it blows so hard you can't sleep. hope it's calm for you today. have a good one and get some cat naps in!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you all so much for your comments. I appreciate them so much. I thought the clouds deserved attention and I'm glad you all enjoyed them.

    ReplyDelete
  22. The clouds were lovely but sorry about the storm that followed. Henry and Wally are OK with wind and rain as long as there is no thunder involved. Even with the sound attenuation they get really scared during thunder storms. Hope you caught up on your rest. Take Care

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment.. ~~ Inger

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails