Sunday, October 10, 2010

Happy Birthday, Angel Cakes! Mommy Loves You Very Much!

My (our) German shepherd dog, Angel, will be 12 years old sometime this fall.  I picked October 10, as a good day for a birthday.

In the spring of 1999, I was diagnosed with breast cancer. The evening before the lumpectomy surgery, my husband, his brother, and I were outside in the garden of our LA house. That house is right on the sidewalk with steps leading up to a gate and that evening a young German shepherd dog ran up the steps and sat down outside the gate. She would not leave, so of course, we opened the gate and took her in. My BIL has dogs also, and I remember pleading with him to take her home as I was having surgery the next morning. Thank God he said no.

At this time, I had three other dogs: Bandit, our beloved hound dog mix, Saschi, our Siberian Husky/Malamute cross, and our disturbed Doberman pinscher, Sundance. We also had our two cats, Samantha and Sindbad, and two parakeets. All this in a house with a small yard and way over the legal city limit of three pets. And I had cancer and wanted to focus on my recovery, not on a new dog.

But right then and there, I had some kind of insight and decided to make lemonade of the lemon that had just arrived. I felt very strongly that this dog had been sent to look after me and as my husband posted signs and walked her around the neighborhood, I hoped that an owner would not be found. And no one ever was.

I named her Angel, and I was right, she came to look after me. For the past eleven plus years, this dog has never left my side. She is 12 now and every time I get up and leave the room, she gets up and leaves the room. This is a tribute to Angel on her 12th birthday:

She is Protective

Angel in 2006. She always positions herself facing away from me toward the door. And not until recently have I seen this dog sleep. With both eyes closed. All her life she was always alert, protecting me and her family. 


She barks and puts on a fierce guard dog show. She still has excellent hearing and is always the first to alert. And that goes for anything that moves or makes a sound, including the wind. She still hasn't figured that one out.
She is Kind

Looking after Soldier during a thunder storm.


Sleeping with little Samson.

Kissing her beloved Sindbad.

She loves to Play

Who stole Mommy's shoe, is a favorite. 

She loves to Run
Sniff
And play in her Kiddie Pool

She will stand in it for the longest time.

She Climbs
Angel is a rock climber; she will climb as high as I let her.

Climbs and Sniffs some more.
Christmas is a favorite time of the year.
She likes some people, Rachael is one of them. 

She is not much for being petted, hugged or kissed. She is scared at the vet, she is terrified of moths, and she doesn't like flies. You can see her nose is red. After we moved up here, she got Discoid Lupus. It is only on her nose and I manage it with homeopathic remedies. It looks kind of bad, but she is doing very well, much better in all-around health than when she was on Tetracycline and Nicacinamide. 


And here she is today, anticipating her birthday cake!

As most beloved pets, she has a few nicknames: Angel Cakes, Missy, Missy Cake, and Come when I call you, will you!.

Happy Birthday, Dear Angel, from Mommy, Daddy, Soldier, Samson, and Pippi Birdie!

27 comments:

  1. What a beautiful girl, Angel! She is a real protector of everyone I see. Good thing she 'stayed' and watched over you Inger.
    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Angel!! Not sure where you hide your wings, but am certain they are there.
    Lots of love from all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh God bless your Angel and all the angels that come to share our lives and look after us! I have an angel that will turn 13 next week - my little yellow lab girl. I'm so glad your sweet baby found you and your wonderful home!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Inger!! What a true gift your sweet Angel is!!! Thank-you for sharing her with us today and I hope you have many more birthdays to celebrate together!!

    Also, many thanks for your kind and thoughtful comments on our loss of Sam--It really is a comfort when people like you understand!

    ReplyDelete
  5. And what an angel she is! Happy Birthday Angel!! What a wonderful tribute to a beautiful girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. She looks very sweet...a good, loyal dog!

    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've read two posts of your today and have cried two times. I LOVE your Angel. What a special gift you were sent that day...have you ever seen the movie Hachi? It stars Richard Geere? If you haven't, I really recommend it. One of my favorites for sure and I think you would very much relate to it :)
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday, Angel! You truly are an angel and a blessing for your Mommy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Angel sounds like the kind of dog everyone needs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Angel Says: Thank you all you nice people for wishing me a Happy Birthday. And Mommy wants to reply to two ladies...

    Kim: I lit that candle for Sam. I hope you are OK.

    Amy: My next post will be about a plate. See Tuesdays Treasures & Things, so you will definitely not cry if you check back then.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amy: No I haven't seen that movie. I wrote down the name and may check it out later.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Angel has the perfect name. What a good girl!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I also believe she was sent to you,I have a dog that was sent to me and changed my life in so many positive ways..,my Minki. Angel is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Birthday to the Birthday Angel. What a marvellous sounding dog. I do agree with you that she was sent to watch over you and she sure sounds to be a most marvellous companion.

    ReplyDelete
  15. ...and from Sandra! The happiest of birthdays dear Angel, you are awesome! And beautiful. And well... just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful friend! She deserves a birthday cake!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your Angel sounds so much like my Buck. He is my shadow, and never leaves my side either.

    German Shepherds are such loyal, personable, intelligent dogs. I love mine so much, I can't imagine what it would be like without them.

    Thank you so much for sharing the pictures of Angel. Happy Birthday, Angel Cakes. What a sweet girl you are. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful Angel, I hope that you had the happiest of Birthdays. You are so precious to your people, and I think that you know it, and return their love. Thank you for being there for Inger, whenever she needs you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Angel Says: Thank you all for your birthday wishes. I try to be a good girl and take good care of my Mommy. But since she doesn't know how to bake a doggie cake, I just got a lot of dog biscuits for my birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a beautiful post, about a beautiful dog ! Thanks so much for sharing it with us today !

    ReplyDelete
  21. Our beloved animals really are our own personal angels in so many ways, but your girl truly IS your Angel. I love how she came to be with you and how she seems to believe protecting you is her one, true calling. What a good girl - and what a lovely post honoring her.
    Happy birthday, Angel - you good, good girl, you!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy Birthday dear Angel I hope you have had a wonderful day ~ Ally xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Angel Says: Thank you, thank you, for all the birthday wishes. I had a very nice day. And I can't believe how many of Mommy's friends left me messages. You are all such very nice people.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Happy Birthday, Angel! I will see you & your mommy & rest of the gang soon!

    ReplyDelete
  25. ah, i love this story!!! happy birthday, angel! you two were meant to be with one another. hope the cake lasts at least a couple of days...

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beautiful dog! Happy Birthday a little late to Angel!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment.. ~~ Inger

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails