Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Tuesday's Treasures & Things


Welcome Vicki Lane, John Gray, and Cheryl Ann...I'm so glad you signed up to follow my blog.

Last night as I wrapped myself in my ruana and sat down on the couch to watch the finale of Dancing with the Stars, I began to wonder what my treasure for today would be. I had no idea and no treasure came to mind. I even got up and wandered around my house, but didn't feel inspired. Then I thought, as I wrapped the nice woolen blanket tighter around myself, this is my treasure, right here. And a treasure it is... it keeps me warm during these cold winter months.

A long time ago, I lived for 12 years in Princeton, N. J. and there I met Bianca and Guillermo, a very nice and lively couple from Columbia. After a trip back home they gave me this authentic Columbian ruana. 


Here I am today all wrapped up and it is just as nice and warm as it was back then. It even looks like new. (My haircut is by my friend Rachael. Just a little asides for those of you who have followed me for a while.) 


The ruana also makes a nice throw.


Or a small, but warm blanket.


Here is some proof of both its and my longevity. I believe this is from a mid-60s trip to New Hampshire. 


And this is also from the 1960s. I remember this: It's from a trip to New Brunswick, Canada, and I am looking at the Bay of Fundy as it meets the Saint John river and famously makes the flow of the river reverse itself for several hours during high tide. An interesting natural wonder to behold.


And here I am all wrapped up on the UCLA campus sometime in the 1970s. You would all crack up if I showed you the very 1970s style of clothes I'm wearing under the ruana. I had to laugh out loud myself.

And on a completely different subject, this is what I did with the apples yesterday. It doesn't look all that great, but it tasted really good and all that cinnamon made the house smell like Christmas. I just sliced the apples and layered them in this dish (is this a Pyrex -- do I own a Pyrex dish after all?? Jim?? Sharon?? Let me know!!). I sprinkled brown sugar and cinnamon between the layers, dotted it with a little butter and put some water in the bottom. Then I baked it for 25 minutes at 375. And it came out so good, I'm happy to say. Simple and easy, just the way I like it and nothing went to waste as the dogs, happily ate the apple cores. Thank you so much all of you who offered recipes and suggestions. I have to look into how to make some of the apple dishes you mentioned.


Another big storm is supposed to come our way, bringing more snow and up 60 mph wind gusts. I just love it!! I'll let you know what happens.

16 comments:

  1. I do apples like this all the time, so cozy

    The pyrex looks vintage with the little "cool" flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are an amazing woman, not only can you identify plants and critters, but household goods as well? I had written on a blog a while back that I didn't own any Pyrex at all. Now I know, and since I'm pretty vintage myself, this dish may well be too. You know I will do apples like this too in the future and make sure I have some whip cream to go with it. It was so easy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Speaking of vintage, you take care of clothing items better than anyone I know! A 55 yr old sweater, a 40 yr old blanket/cloak. And YOU look great too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Inger, that's just what I do with an apple when I want a snack...with cinnamon & sugar and sometimes I craisins!...:)JP

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Inger!
    R=rolling
    Looks like Pyrex, what does it say on the bottom? I have a couple that are Fire King.
    Those apples look good enough to eat!
    I got me some specs, so I can now see the keyboard and the monitor! No more hunt, peck, revise!
    Love your comfy... you an old hippy? LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm going to try apples done that way. I bought a couple today, but they are for a crockpot pork roast with sauerkraut and apples. Mmmm, that's going to be my Thanksgiving meal, instead of turkey, which I'm not terribly fond of.

    That ruana looks wonderful, beautiful and warm at the same time. Lucky you to have had such good friends to give you such a lovely thing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The ruana looks just as fashionable today as it did back then. And that is a compliment! I love things that really stand the test of time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OH it looks cozy:) And to sit and eat your apple dish beside a fire watching your show.....I need to join you!
    (It's to get -38 here tonight with the wind:(
    I need to go find something cozy....
    Love your past pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never heard of a ruana before, but it looks like a handy garment. It was fun to see it and you through the years. From your very pretty 70s photo, I'm guessing we're close to the same age.
    The apples look yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very cool pick from the 70's Inger, so thoughtful looking, too beautiful.

    Squash is pretty good baked that way also.

    Keep warm, it was a balmy 80 degrees here today.
    Terry

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice ruana, can't believe you've held onto it all these years. That's awesome! I just love the pictures, and Inger, what a beautiful young lady you were!! You have not changed much at all. Thanks for showing us the apples. I was wondering what became of them and you have inspired me to do a little apple baking of my own soon. Stay warm! Give Samson and Angel a hug just for me!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. ah, i love this post! what great memories of the throw and it's as good, if not better, as the day you got it! love the haircut - it suits you well. the apples looked tasty delicious and i could almost smell them from here.

    ReplyDelete
  13. texwisgirl: Only a few items survive because I always get rid of things. I can think of some nice warm sweaters that would have been great to keep for here.

    JP: I liked it and it was so simple.

    Sharon: I meant the entire abbreviation -- I'm so dense, I didn't get any of it. I will check the bottom once I'm done eating the apples. I missed the hippe stuff, was a bit too old, never liked communal living nor smoking pot. But the rest was OK -- I'm all for peace, love and this is the first day of the rest of your life.

    Louise: That sounds like a wonderful meal. I don't like turkey much either. Good friends are such a blessing. These two I lost touch with when I left the east coast.

    farmchick: I do too, like good quality stuff.

    Dawn: We have a horrible windstorm here too. My dogs are barking at the wind. It is 40 now and raining, so I think we may get more snow by morning.

    Terry: I was in my 30s in the 1970s.

    Terry M. Scott: I'm glad it isn't in the 80s here. I have to read your profile to see where you are located. Florida? I love squash and will definitely bake it this way. I can see how good that would be.

    Bobbi: Thank you for the compliments and I'm glad if I inspired you to bake some apples of your own. Hugs will be delivered and to Soldier as well. I guess I must write some more about him soon. He is dog number 3, well 2, and then Samson arrived and sort of hogged the spotlight.

    Hopeful: I like the haircut too. It makes me look very Swedish somehow. I'm so glad you liked my post down memory lane again. Maybe I should write my memoirs.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Inger,I agree that the Ruana still looks very stylish indeed. Our summer is turning out to be cold and rainy these past two weeks,so I find myself still doing puddings and stews!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, I love your ruana! Hubby and I wrapped ourselves up in blankets last night, too! We FINALLY turned on the furnace here in the low desert. Your apple dish looks delicious! I'd love to try it! Yum, yum! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. YOu look marvelous and there is something about the top photo that is really artsy. I like it. What a beautiful young woman you were...and I like your haircut, I need one soon.

    I enjoyed the post ...........

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment.. ~~ Inger

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails