Thursday, March 24, 2011

Donkeys and Birds

I wasn't going to blog today because we have to go to the dentist this morning. My husband has a toothache and he really needs to have it taken care of. Then I think we will visit with my brother-in-law, who had one side of his wooden fence completely blown away in this past weekend's storms. He has repaired he said, so he doesn't need my husband's help. It's just nice to visit there. 

Anyway, there are two questions I remember from your comments. -- How late does it snow here? -- Last year we got the last snow on May 23rd. We are at a bit over 4,000 feet, so that's the reason it still can get cold even into June. Then it gets so darned hot that I mark the time to October on my calendar. A little over 100 days. Not looking forward to that. Then Jim asked if I had thought about having a donkey. If I were younger and lived here I would definitely have donkeys. After I got to know them, working at the rescue, they quickly became my favorite animals. And they still are. Since I'm going on 71 now, I won't get one at this time in my life. I wish everyone would get to know and understand these wonderful animals, maybe some of the abuse they suffer would stop.

I saw this foal come into the world on a cold and windy December day. I will never forget it.

Some pretty birds came by here after last weekend's snowfall and I managed to get a few photos to share. 

Western Bluebird


With a smaller bird, that comes with a large flock: Dark-eyed (Oregon) Junco, I believe.


And the Western Meadow Lark that sings such pretty songs all summer long. Last year they came early too and started to build their nests. Then a couple of bad snowstorms hit and I never saw them again. I hope this won't happen this year.

I have to get ready -- I hope you all have a great day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails