Saturday, March 5, 2011

My Blog, My Word Verification Removed, My Husband and Some Canyon Photos

God Morning and it’s a beautiful morning here in the canyon with frost that will soon melt as the sun comes over the eastern mountains. Today, I found that I have three new followers of my blog and for a moment it made blank out, you know, feeling responsible for coming up with good stuff all the time and so on. Those thoughts passed quickly and I am very happy to welcome: Melissa, who is from Texas, and whose blog is called  http://melissaohnoutka.blogspot.com and http://thewifeofadairyman.blogspot.com, who blogs about farm life in Northern California, and finally, Fran Fischer, who does not blog, but who you know from last Tuesday's treasure, The Mirror. Welcome, I am looking forward to reading your blogs and getting to know you.


Eclectic adj. [< Gr. ek, out + legein, to pick] selected or selecting from various sources 

Before I move on, let me say this to those of you who follow my blog: I am so excited about the fact that people with such wide interests, hobbies, and professions – from farmers to writers are following my blog. And people from so many different countries, I think 63 the last time I checked my flag counter, from Sweden to the Philippines. For a long time, when I first began blogging, I was worried that no one would want to read my blog since it was not specific and sort of all over the place in terms of subjects. But now I have both followers and a blog I think can be called eclectic and I love it.


Verify vt. [< L. verus, true + facere, make] to prove to be true by evidence, etc; confirm

The reason for this Latin lesson is Blogger's Word Verification. You know those non-words that you have to enter to somehow prove you are not a spammer every time you make a comment. I have been guilty of using this myself. However, I have noticed that it's becoming a pain in the butt, particularly on these new and fancier blogs, where it takes a very long time to do anything for someone like me, who lives in the mountains and uses a satellite. And with so many wonderful blogs to follow, using word verification will just take too long. Then this morning, I spotted a header on this blog and went there. Karen, who by the way has over 600 followers, has not had any spam problems. She recommends we all go to our Settings and remove our Word Verification requirements to make it easier and faster to read each other's blogs. It's very simple, I did it, and I am sure nothing bad will happen to me or my blog. Please check out Karen's post on this and let me know if you notice any difference when you leave a comment on my blog.


Distract vt. [< L. dis-, apart + trahere, draw] to draw away in another direction; divert

With my hubby here again, this is what's happening: I am being distracted, drawn away from blogging, and from reading blogs. Those of you who work at jobs, have kids, make quilts and other gorgeous stuff, take care of farms, rescue animals and care for them, write books, and still have time to blog more or less every day have my greatest admiration. I don't see how you do it. I will try my best and you know what is great here? I'm up early and my hubby is not. Well, if he wants to be a rancher, he will have to work on that, but for right now…..I will let the man sleep.


The photos are from the hike we took a few weeks ago. This last picture is of a green sandstone quarry, associated with the ruins, and abandoned a long time ago now. You can read about our canyon hike here.

30 comments:

  1. I turned off my word verification a year ago. I've not missed it and neither have my readers!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa: It was nice to see your comment pop up like this, so I could comment back right away, instead of having to wait for emails and approvals. Thanks for the confirmation that this is a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh hurray!!! I took the word verification off my blog a few weeks ago and haven't had any problems. I, too, was realizing how dreadfully long it took to get thru my blog roll and leave comments, yet I didn't want to give up leaving comments either as I know they're so important to let folks know you've stopped by and appreciate their posts. I love your eclectic blog, by the way! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got rid of the word verification a long time ago, but I kept the email authorization. I like having that because I don't have to keep checking the blog for new posts. And, I have noticed that I have people who respond to posts I made a few days ago. With the email authorization, I don't miss those comments.

    I'm not surprised that you are finding less time to blog now. You're in a period of adjustment and that makes everything take longer. Hopefully, once you settle into a routine, you'll again find that you have more time for blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the canyon photos! It's so beautiful there! I really don't know what I have: word verification or ?
    We are getting rain, rain and more rain, along with thunder boomers. I just now got my satellite back - for how long - no clue.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey girl! That is so much faster!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I ditched word verification as well: I know how much it bugs me on other people's blogs! I kept e-mail verification for the same reason Louise did.

    And I agree with Sharon.. the pics are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting post, Inger, and those photos are as beautiful as always, so, so beautiful! Green stones: that's fascinating. But, then, I guess I shouldn't be surprised, because I once saw a green slate floor in someone's entryway. I need to check, I can't even remember if I have that word verification turned on or off.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Inger- I got rid of it awhile back. No Spam yet!
    During the week I read blogs before work and don't always have the time to wait for word verification. Thus- no comment!

    Love your canyon.
    Terry

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Inger,
    I've never had any SPAM but I have another blog by Wordpress and that's all I get is SPAM. (But what's spam without eggs, huh)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful photos, Inger. I can understand why you love living in your desert canyon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I get a little bit of spam onto my blog, but I have e-mail verification so I just delete it. It works for me, and I'm hoping that the change you've made will continue to work for you too Inger--It's nice when you're the boss and can decide, isn't it?

    Anyway, I love the sun and warmth of your pictures today (is it?) and always seeing what's going on in your corner of the world!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good, Inger! That Word Verification is a pain for us that have slower connectivity. For that, I thank you! As for your husband sleeping late...good luck with that!...:)JP

    ReplyDelete
  14. darn I love your environment.

    Anyway, I have not used the word pass and I have only had one post that blogspot themselves filtered as spam. The comment didnt really make sense to me, in context. I suspect it was someone cranky about land conservaton.

    ReplyDelete
  15. so much better without word verification...I wish more people would drop it...I also wish you could comment directly back to people...some make it hard to answer their questions or comment back on their comments...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Inger, I so love your blog and also like the 'randomness' of it...mine is that way as well and it's always interesting. Besides, the blog is for you to write about what is in your heart.
    I like your photos Inger because your area is so very different than where I live, so it's fascinating to see!
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for all your comments. I hope to hear from those who still have it too. Keeping the email notification makes sense so you know if someone commented on an earlier blog. I think you can set the number of days before you want to be notified and I did 10. I may look into that.--Inger

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Inger,I am going to ditch my word verification as well! You have a super blog and I love to read about your desert,dogs and other things! Take the husband a cup of coffee in bed! Have a lovely Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such pretty pics of your hike!

    I should look into getting rid of the word verification to.And agree with you on how hard it is to find the time to keep up with blogging some times. I need more hours in the day :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Good for you taking off word verification. It's much lighter. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I so enjoyed reading this post. Well, I always do, but this in particular for some reason ... I don't know :o)
    That's good that you took away the word verification. Google has that, probably for big companies, or blogs with thousands of subscribers that get easily spammed. I doubt that's a big problem for little personal blogs like ours.

    Oh, my blog is certainly eclectic too ... I'm all over the place. I get a lot of hits but not so many comments.

    Don't you get notified by Blogger when you have new comments without having the 'approval' thingy activated?! That's weird.

    I have a Blogger-blog too [Rebkin] but I don't use it all that much and don't have any 'followers'. Going to look there now and see how the comment system works.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ah, but I will miss some of the silly words that come up! Or the incredible coincidences where a word has to do with the post you just read. But, you are right, it will be much faster and I don't know why, but it has become more annoying.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Good morning Inger. I took my word verification off a month or so ago. You're right, it's a pain sometimes. I'm sure it's nice having your husband there with you, even if you have to work around him and blog when you get a chance. It's okay... first things first. Life is so full of things to do. I don't understand how anyone could get bored! Have a beautiful Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you for the latest comments. I do give my husband his coffee. With all the cooking he does, that's such a small thing. I'm glad you guys enjoy my not so specific blog, I guess it is about life here in the canyon and life is ever changing. I wish blogger would come up with a way whereby I now could enter a comment directly back to each of your blogs. Deb mentioned that above. It would be so great.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I would love to hike in that area! Such a different landscape from here Inger. And your photos do it justice I am sure.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I think I took my word verification off but am not 100% sure so I will check on that. I have high speed service and lately I've noticed that things are taking much longer to load and that anything that slows me down from leaving a comment, sends me off to see something else ;-) So am glad to see that some of us and you too are turning this feature off. Now I had better go and make sure mine is off, lol. I do enjoy your eclectic blog. Mine is also eclectic and slowly am gathering followers.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thank you for turning off your word verification. I actually have trouble reading those stupid words and it usually takes me a couple of trys to get it right. I moderate my comments, but no word verification on my site either...as you know. I hope you are enjoying having hubby around.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I took your advise, removed the word verification and got the button. Thanks for sharing that!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Inger,
    I had not thought of that before ... that Blogger doesn't have the reply-feature in the comments ...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment.. ~~ Inger

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails