Thursday, April 21, 2011

R is for Raven

My theme for the A to Z Challenge: Desert Canyon Living

Three ravens, a mother raven and two youngsters, came at the beginning of summer last year to


spend the night on the thickest wire that leads from the electric pole to our house.


The two young ravens seemed to be wired themselves, just like kids before bedtime. While the youngsters bicker, mother raven stoically looks the other way with a sort of long-suffering raven look on her face.


OK, so what shall we do now?


I know, let's try the thinner wire down below!


Oh, no, mother raven, help, I think I'm falling off! As if to remind her youngster he can still fly, she raises her wings and flaps them a few times.


OK, I got it, I can use my wings to balance with. Cool! It's all so easy if you don't panic. 


Look at me now, I'm almost comfortable


But it's really much better on the thicker wire above, so I think I fly back up there.


Hello!


Come any closer and I'll beat you up, thinking you're so cool and all, says his sibling. 


While mother raven looks the other way, once again, wishing for some night-time QUIET, already.

The three ravens spent every night for the rest of the summer on our wires. When fall came, the youngsters were grown up and one night they did not return. 

23 comments:

  1. How about starting with a comment of my own? I just wanted to thank all of you who commented on the Quail post yesterday. I hope you clicked on the photos of the babies to enlarge them. I should have mentioned that. I am so glad you are enjoying my A to Z Challenge posts. I'm having so much fun with it myself and meeting so many new bloggers is an added benefit. I have to go to town now, so not much time for blog visits today. But I will catch up later.--Inger

    ReplyDelete
  2. love your commentary on mamma raven. you can just hear her sigh in your photos! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two little blackbirds sittin' on a hill... one named Jack, the other named Jill.

    Fly away Jack, Fly away Jill.
    Come back Jack, Come back Jill.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice sequence with a curious composition of crows and lines. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i did click on the quail pix yesterday! couldn't help wanting to see those babies up close...

    i love this last shot today. just that solitary black silhouette. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love to see Ravens we have them here and they are huge, when flying hard to tell from our eagles.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your blog NEVER disappoints!! Love the 2 squabbling on the wire.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The way you tell a story from the point of view of the animal is amazing and a joy to read. Thanks, Inger, for sharing your talents with all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The ravens must haven taken story-telling lessons from Samson. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great story about the ravens. Sometimes I wish my mama were still around so she could flap her wings and remind me - how to 'fly' sometimes. lol. This was so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I love the Raven story. Your pictures are soooo good and your story words are perfect. You could put all your picture stories into a child's book. I bet you have enough.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loved the running commentary with the pictures. They fit perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are really having fun with you A-Z posts. Good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  14. We've got three ravens working the neighborhood on a regular basis. I love 'em. They get in front of our windows in the front yard and strut around like they were makin' payments on the place.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'll bet you anything that those kids return and start families of their own, Inger! After all, with all that picture taking going on, it was as if they were in Hollywood!...:)JP

    ReplyDelete
  16. This can make a beautiful kid's story book. You and your love for nature is so touching:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. When we lived in Wisconsin years ago, there was a petting zoo not far from where we lived. We used to go down there all the time and watch a Raven that was there--He'd injured his wing and could no longer fly, so he was kept there. After weeks of visiting and talking to him, one evening he hopped over to us, and dropped a small pebble and hopped back to his perch and sat there looking right at us--It was like it was a present...I still have it and I've been a fan of Ravens ever since!

    ReplyDelete
  18. For some reason your pics reminded me of the movie The Birds :).

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great raven story! I love watching birds. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  20. fun post....I'm not the only one that talks for the birds...LOL

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment.. ~~ Inger

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails