Friday, February 3, 2012

Traveling the Blogger World, Part 2

My job at the vicarage was easy and school was a couple of evenings, so I had a lot of free time. Maybe too much, because after a wonderful time, I forget how long, maybe nine months, the vicar's little boy was ready to start kindergarten, or the British equivalent, and I lost my great job. I moved back with my Polish friends and lived there for quite a while, supporting myself by cleaning houses and baby sitting. 


I had a great romantic love affair, one of those that was bound to not work out. We would meet in the coffee houses of Soho and from there go to the different jazz clubs. I was young, it was fun. I met people from all over the world -- I lived in the now and enjoyed London so much, not thinking much about the future. 



OK, back to the blogs. And what follows is a story of how small the world is and how much it can open up for you on the blogs. Last week, sometime, my friend Dee Ready mentioned a comment by someone named Friko. The name stood out in my mind and when Friko then left a comment on my blog, I checked hers out here. It turns out that Friko is a German woman who lives in England. When she was young, she also lived in London and in her most recent post she describes how she tried to make a living as an undocumented person there. And she also mentioned frequenting coffee houses in Soho. So Friko was someone who had lived a life in London, very similar to mine. I felt an instant connection and became a follower of her blog that day.



But it gets even better. The day after that, a woman who blogs as Vagabonde here, saw my comment on Friko's post and left one on mine. She suggested I visit a post of hers from December 2011, where she writes about the coffeehouses and jazz clubs in Soho that she went to at exactly the same time, New Year's 1959-1960, that I was there. She also mentioned that she is a jazz fan, just like I am. She wrote about how she came to love Traditional Jazz, just like I did. She mentions some of the jazz greats who played both in Paris, where she lived, and also came to play in Stockholm, where I lived. And the UK Skiffle music, and bands that I had long forgotten. And more, she showed photos of a lot of places in Soho and remembers their names. I have said it before and I will say it again: Isn't blogging wonderful in how it opens up your world? Here I am, sitting in my little house on all this land in the middle of nowhere, and I get to travel back to all that!!!




And in real life, my love affair ended, as it was bound to. I went back to Sweden on a gleaming Russian ship, surviving a horrendous storm on the North Sea, and arriving in Stockholm after a breathtaking journey through the thousands of islands that make up the Stockholm archipelago. After a year or so in Stockholm, I got a job in the US and left Sweden for good. And that, of course, is another story.


Note: I took the pictures a while ago and since I don't have any new  ones, I thought you would enjoy seeing them again. I love clouds, but unfortunately clouds are few and far between this warm and sunny winter.
P.S. I wanted to mention when I got to Post 500, but I forgot. This is Post 503 and I can't believe it!

25 comments:

  1. Spännande och läsa om dina upplevelser i England. Dina bilder är jättefina.
    Här är det kallt, rekord för säsongen i Norrland -40 grader brr. I södra Sverige håller det sig på -10-15, nästa vecka blir det som tur varmare. Det har kommit snö i Östersjölandskapen upp till 3 dm.
    Vovvarna vill inte vara ute i kylan längre stunder. Ikväll blir det lax i ugn som sambon börjat med..ha en fin fredagskväll!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i do love how blogging makes the world a very small place, full of friends from far away places.

    and these photos are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't (virtual) traveling wonderful?

    ReplyDelete
  4. First, congrats on over 500 posts! Wow!
    I love the cloud pictures. They are beautiful. I do hope you get some, with a wee bit of snow - or rain!
    I do love how small our world is - I think our social networking via Blogger, Twitter or FaceBook speeds up those opportunities to connect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved reading your memories!! The cloud photos are absolutely amazing! Thanks for sharing!! ~Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  6. 500! That's wonderful. keep up the great work!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Inger, your memories are just as full as those clouds!...:)JP

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for coming to my blog Inger. Congratulation on posting more than 500 posts – what an achievement. I started my blog in March 2009 but so far have only written about 160 posts. My posts are long though so I only publish them once a week. I, too, am very surprised at all the people who come and visit my blog. I have a little map of the world and it changes daily, showing people from everywhere. I also have a counter, which I installed months after starting my blog and it now shows more than 204,000 visits. If you comment on my blog you will start to see some of my readers come to your blog. I have seen several go to Friko’s – this is the nice thing about blogging, we become a circle of friends. I have also met bloggers – went to Oslo, Norway to a Blog Gathering in 2010. Blogging is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on 503, I am close behind you.
    I am amazed daily at how the fingers of the web reach out and touch people continents apart. Wonderful invention.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's cool that you've found people with whom you have so much in common. I would like to have a big roaring love affair, but I want it to settle down into a purr that can last the rest of my life.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats, Inger, on a major milestone! I really enjoy your super blog and wish you many, many more posts.

    It's a small world after all - and what a wonderful world it is when old times come alive. I'm off to check out your previous post. Hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, that was fascinating and so interesting. The photos are great too. I really enjoyed reading about your past and connecting up with people now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. you have had such an amazing and diverse life!

    I wonder if that scamp, 20 Year old Inger, ever thought she would be living in some lonesome high desert, with a sweetheart that cooks.

    You frisky gal you ! I love the stories!

    You lenticular photos, magnificent

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an interesting life you are having, Inger.
    Those rosy clouds are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It is great to meet people that share common history with you from years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Inger, how wonderful...isn't it amazing how we meet others we wouldn't normally have met. I just met a blogger who is about 30 min. from me and I will meet her when I have my next book signing as she is coming...just fun!

    ReplyDelete
  17. http://www.cominghometomyself.blogspot.comFebruary 4, 2012 at 1:39 PM

    Dear Inger,
    Fascinating. That's the only word I can come up with to adequately describe your last two postings. I'm so happy you and Friko are now reading one another. Happy also that you've given us a link to Vagabonde.

    But what makes me happiest is learning more about you and your life as a young adult in England and your return to Sweden. I'd like to have known you then because all those experiences went into making you the wonderful person you are today.

    Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What an interesting life, Inger! You must have so many memories.

    Congratulations on #500! That's a milestone for sure. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hej Inger och verkligen kul att läsa ditt inlägg om dina upplevelser! Där ser man hur liten världen är och att det genom bloggen öppnas nya världar och upptäckter!
    Verkligen fina bilder du bjuder på också ! Gillar dessa molnbilder med det fina ljuset. Här i Bohuslän är det kallt som.... och just nu snöar det !
    Bästa hälsningar/Lasse

    ReplyDelete
  20. Inger, you could write a book about your 'journey' getting to . Your life has been a real adventure and continues to be. Those photos are fabulous.
    I agree, what a small world we live in.....

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for stopping by. I am also a cloud and sunrise sunset lover. The picture of the circular cloud is beautiful.
    I take most of my sunset/sunrise photo while aboard our 27' trawler and post on
    www.alwayslingerawhile.blogspot.com

    I love all your wildlife photos.

    ReplyDelete
  22. My friends who don't blog just don't understand how much it has opened up my world. When I read blogs I am not sitting alone at my desk, I am traveling the world with my friends. How fantastic is that!?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Inger .. what a fantastic story - I've got to get across to Friko's to finish her story of those days.

    Love the cloud formations and colours - such fun to read - it is a wonderful blogging world .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi there, I found your web site by the use of Google whilst looking for a similar subject, your website came up, it seems great. I've bookmarked it in my google bookmarks.
    Pillivuyt Porcelain 9-Inch Round-Eared Dish

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks for all of your effort on this web site. My aunt take interest in getting into internet research and it's really easy to see why. We notice all of the dynamic form you provide efficient items through this web blog and as well as recommend participation from visitors on this point plus our favorite simple princess is without a doubt studying so much. Take pleasure in the rest of the new year. Your performing a great job.
    Keen Women's Snowmass High Waterproof Winter Boot

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment.. ~~ Inger

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails