Sunday, July 8, 2012

Montana Fires and More -- Asking for Help Again




In the spring, when I took my camera to the other side of town, I came upon this oak grove. I'm posting it now because it presents such a contrast to the dangerously dry and scary July landscape around here. Wild fires are always on my mind in the summer and I'm so grateful my hubby is retired and living here now. Nothing bad is going on here, but in Montana, over 200,000 acres have burned and our blogger friend Feral Woman has been seriously affected. While waiting to find out if they needed to evacuate, the fire bore down on them so violently, they had to flee to their greenest field, driving through fire to get there. One of their cats got loose and injured, but has a chance to live. Their horses were singed, but the vet said they should be OK. They can't leave their property and their horses need hay.
You can read about the fire here and on two subsequent posts. Please visit her and send her your support and hugs.


If you would like to help Feral Woman and others affected by the fires in Montana, I know of two blogger friends that have Red Cross buttons on their blogs where you can donate. Any small amount will be welcome, of course. My two friends are Nancy at http://www.aruraljournal.com/  and TexWisGirl at http://run-a-roundranch.blogspot.com/

Reading blogs, you learn about tragedies that affect people's lives and this is one such event. So sudden, so scary, and so amazing that they survived. Please try to help, just a few dollars will make a difference, I'm sure. Thank you my generous blogger friends. 


I'm not posting that Red Cross button here because I'm having some problems with my blog. I have decided to take a few days off from blogging. I may visit you, but I won't post anything because I want to figure out how this new blogger interface works. I also need to update some of my programs. Yesterday, Gracie, Bobbi's dog and Samson's girlfriend, sent him a video that we cannot open. I'm sure we will or Samson will be so disappointed. I got notes to update my Adobe Flash and my Explorer so I need to do that. 



I also have over 100 emails, not that they all need to be read, but some do and will need responses. And I need to clean my computer and delete files and on and on. You know how it goes, taking pictures and blogging is just so much fun, you keep going and going and if you don't keep up on the maintenance, sooner or later you will be stuck. And I fear I'm heading in that direction now. So I will be back in a few days. 






22 comments:

  1. We'll see you back in a few days. I hope you can get things figured out. I've had some issues, too. I know that 'they' like to keep things on the cutting edge and make sure that their sites have every whistle, button and bow, but it makes it hard for me to keep up with the changes! I wish they would at least give us a little warning, and maybe a tutorial showing the changes and how to work with them!

    I'm glad you put up the information about Feral Woman's plight, and that of others. Her pictures are haunting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We'll see you back in a few days. I hope you can get things figured out. I've had some issues, too. I know that 'they' like to keep things on the cutting edge and make sure that their sites have every whistle, button and bow, but it makes it hard for me to keep up with the changes! I wish they would at least give us a little warning, and maybe a tutorial showing the changes and how to work with them!

    I'm glad you put up the information about Feral Woman's plight, and that of others. Her pictures are haunting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you, thank you, dear inger, for helping to spread the word about the fundraising efforts. i wish i could send a big truckload of hay from texas to montana...

    ReplyDelete
  4. i have been following Ferals story and it breaks my heart for her and others in the path of the fires. i know what you mean about the maint, sometimes when my computer starts dragging, i think duh when is the last time you did anything beside email and blog and edit photos. good luck. i downloaded Google Chrome and love it, much more than IE. love your photos today. will be waiting for your return

    ReplyDelete
  5. I, too, have used Chrome for quite some time and can't recommend it highly enough.

    I am so sorry to hear about the devastating fires and will be paying a visit to Feral Woman's blog right away. Thanks for the head's up.

    Your photos are glorious. I love oak trees and your pictures remind me so much of those we have in France.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Picmonkey is a lot faster and easier to learn than PS and takes no space on your computer. if you have PS elements it doesn't take up much space, if it is the big PS it will take a lot of space but should not matter because you don't have to be online when using it. with PM you have to work on line, so PS would be better for working off line.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful pictures. Enjoy your time off blogging, hope to see you back soon.
    Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved you "spring" pictures, Inger.

    Those fires are horrid! I used to fight fire, and know how difficult they can be. I do hope you and your family can stay safe. And the Samson sees his girlfriend's story. Have you ploughed a fire guard around your buildings?

    I noticed you mentioned Explorer. Even though they go through new versions, by blogger tech friend says they are terrible "glitchy." Better something like Firefox (which is free) or Safari — the two that I use.

    Good grief; computer repairs by committee!

    I've been over to Feral Woman's place from time to time: I'll pop over again in a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just for the record, I do use Google Chrome. It's the only thing that I can blog in, using the new Blogger interface. So I will stick with that. I got a message in my AOL to upgrade my Internet Explorer, which I don't use, to help me download the video. Or at least that's when it appeared. I need to get the Adobe Flash player too. I have tried to avoid getting it, but for Samson, I'll do it. Also, it was so darned sweet of Bobbi and her hubby to do this video for Samson, so I will do anything I can so he can see it.

    We must have a 30 and 100 feet fire break here by June 15 each year. And we do. It's basically just dirt outside here. Not too much fun when it rains, but it rarely rains here in the summer. And amazingly, green grass and wild flower reappear each spring.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad to know the fire guards are in place. They make an almost incredible difference. House may be singed a bit, but stay intact. Better than than no house left. And, yes, the "yard" does get messy when it rains. If it rains.

    Blessings and Bear hugs, still!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Catch you after the break. Feral Woman has a lot of friends out there...hope things improve quickly as they have been put to the test.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Vad fina bilder. ja man måste nog fixa datorn ibland :-). Vad för slags uppkoppling har du? Jag har fiberkabel, alltså jättesnabb uppkoppling. Inte vanligt här ute i skogen men tack vare Gudrun stormen så skulle kablar grävas ner och en granne såg till att man lade ner fiberkabeln med från stora vägen. Vi betalade 14 000 för hela klabbet. Det var grävning utmed vår tomtgräns och allt inkopplat.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's a scary summer for so many.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Din bild syns bra. Cool!! Jag skall försöka göra lite nytt på sidan med. Har dock min hemsida som inte är klar och jag betalar för den, dumt eller hur?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the links, I will check them out. This has been such a horrendous summer for so many people. Hopefully we will all get a break this week if the forcasters are right.
    I am still using the old blogger format. I switched to new but was unable to do much so I switched back.
    I do keep up with my maintainence on a weekly schedule. So far,so good. See ya when you get back from your spring?computer cleaning.

    ReplyDelete
  16. with the hot weather, those who are not affected by fires, should be thankful.

    On another note, congratulations, I’m nominating you to receive the Versatile Blogger Award(check out my new blog post) – please ignore if you’ve received it before.

    ReplyDelete
  17. go ahead and post the shadows, i am dying to see them, pleassseeeee

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh Inger happy computer cleaning.:)
    Thank you for posting Feral Woman's plight I have the donation box on my site and I hope it does it's job. There is so much need. B

    ReplyDelete
  19. Bless you, my dear Swedish friend, for posting about Feral Woman's plight. I'm having computer issues of my own and it's so very frustrating.

    Hoping you get your blogger problems solved, and me too! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  20. A real tragedy with those fires folks, and I'm very sorry for that. Some fire fighters I understand from my area have gone out west to help those local fire fighters, and some have already returned. Richard from the Amish settlement of Lebanon,pa

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for this Inger...fire causes such horrible devastation...we dealt with forest fires a few years ago and so fortunately did not lose our home...we just went under a no-fire ban today...I just hope it's not happening again.
    Take care of your computer Inger...it's your best friend...I know my new layout is troubling you...I tried this layout last year and reverted back to the easy system, now I'm back to the new system and I'm finding it much better and refreshing...give it a chance and practice playing with the options...any questions please ask!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Dear Inger, taking time off from blogging--both posting and reading/commenting--is often so essential so that we can keep within ourselves the calming peace that helps us live in the present moment. Please be gracious to yourself and take care of you. Peace.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment.. ~~ Inger

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails