Sunday, August 12, 2012

Sunday Morning Report From The Canyon



Woke up at six, which is late for me. I need to be out walking dogs by then. Checking the temperature, it was 70F outside and 80F inside, even though the windows were open all night. Usually, it's in the high 40s, low 50s here at night. So we're in for yet another really bad day. I had to take a picture of these strange clouds that looked more like sunset than  sunrise clouds. They may have something to do with the fires to the north of us. 


 As soon as the sun clears the eastern mountains, which right now happens a bit before seven a.m., Samson goes nuts, starts to bark and climb on the back door to get in the house. He reminds me of the giants of Swedish folklore, who had to be home in their caves before sunrise or they would melt. By now, I'm sure poor Samson thinks he'll melt too. 


Thank you Feral Woman for your suggestion of the frozen water bottle for Samson. I checked our freezers (hubby's domain) and found them full. I can get a couple of small bottles in there to start and will see what he does with them. If he takes to them, I will find room for a gallon bottle. The idea here is to let him rest with the cool bottle next to him, lick on it, and let it cool him down. I hose both dogs down with cold water too, but of course they absolutely hate that. Both of them. I've had dogs in the past who loved it, but not these two. 


The sun stayed behind clouds for the entire hour of our walk, which was so nice. You can see smoke from the fires in these last two pictures. 
I guess this will be a good day to watch the end of the Olympic Games and in general do nothing much. Hope you all have a great Sunday.




11 comments:

  1. sorry about the excessive heat. when it doesn't cool down overnight, it gets too hot, too soon. brutal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great trick for cooling dogs! Never heard of that one.

    For people, frozen water bottles work okay too. I freeze water in a third of bottle, then add filtered water when we go walking every day. The water stays nice and cold and we stay cooler. (otherwise, I melt too, just like Samson)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your comment on my blog was so sweet! I think you're very witty--I'll never forget the post about Samson howling at the moon :)

    I'd like to try the frozen water bottle idea with Luna too. She's been super hot, but a little better since I trimmed her fur ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That frozen water bottle sounds like a great idea! Does Samson ever get to sleep in the house?

    ReplyDelete
  5. We used to put frozen water bottles in with the bunnies but they didn't seem to care. I hadn't thought about it for the dogs. They have a big water trough in their area and lots of shade so I think they are okay. We've had the same problem with the house not cooling off at night. So wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  6. the water bottles sound good, when Jake gets overheated i feed him pieces of popcycles to cool him down. and bring him in the AC to lay on the cold tile floor. do you have AC?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope it cools off even for a little while for you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The 40's and 50's usually?!!! Holy moose-poops, I didn't know it got that cold there!!! No wondering you're sweltering, waking up to 70's!!! Looks like a great morning for a walk, Inger!...:)JP

    ReplyDelete
  9. Our temperatures seem similar to yours this time of year. It was 46 when we got up, and warmed up to 80.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the idea of the water bottles too--I know this summer our ice maker has been in overdrive as the dogs have eaten as much as we give them, or just cool off sitting next to the big bowl and fan.

    I hope you've enjoyed your Sunday!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The color in the clouds in that first photo is heavenly!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment.. ~~ Inger

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails