Thursday, January 17, 2013

Feeling Better and Some More This & That



Feeling better today, I decided to share this picture, just for fun. I am the girl in the white blouse and dark skirt, about a head taller than all the rest of the girls. I will come back to this picture as I write more stories. There are many here: Ingrid, the girl to the left of me, was my friend since we were about five, then we lost contact over the distances. She lived in Madrid. Then, a few years ago, I learned that she passed away. The boy in the front row, with the pained expression, died of a brain tumor soon after this picture was taken. Some of the other little brats in the front row would gang up with some older boys and bully me, because I was so much taller than they. The boy to the right in the second row, came to my rescue once that I'll never forget. After the first four years of school, I transferred to an all-girls school and life was great. I don't recall any high school dramas of the kind shown in American films. We all got along.
This and the following pictures are just some old, randomly selected ones. I just can't blog without pictures.

I called the lab yesterday and made my appointments. They wanted fasting for the abdomen and I had to whine a bit about my insulin dependent diabetes and how I just can't fast. Not entirely true, since I have an insulin pump I can do it, but I get so evil without breakfast that I try to avoid it at all cost. 


After some back and forth, I was able to get appointments for the 25th beginning at 10:30 a.m., on the condition that I ate nothing after 4:30 a.m. That will work for me, except that I donated away my cumbersome alarm clock. Since I don't trust my cell phone, I will stop by K-mart today and pick up a small travel alarm. They will do all the ultrasounds and also another mammogram. I'm beginning to really like this lab, they are both caring and efficient.


The aches from my fall are beginning to subside and I am beginning to realize that I was really lucky to get away with just a some little aches. 


Thank you all so much for your caring comments on my post of yesterday. Of course I know I can write about anything that bothers me here, but still, I hesitate. I think I hesitate because I know myself well enough and, as a rule, what bothers me one day will usually be gone the next. 

Still, the community I have found in bloggy land continues to amaze me. It's really something else if you think about it. So I am immensely grateful for the gift of having you all in my life.


Finally, on the best books I read in 2012 post, I forgot about this guy, Wesley. An absolutely wonderful book about a young woman who rescues baby barn owl and lives with him for over 20 years. I learned so much ~ about barn owls and their amazing talents, they can, for example, hear a bug crawl on a wall, and, yes, they do eat a lot of mice; but most of all I learned about love, the kind of love that is almost impossible to understand. This woman gave up so much for Wesley, but she made it clear in the book that it was all worth it ~ the love she received back from Wesley knew no bounds. A strong recommend both from me and my friend, Jane, who reminded me that I forgot to include Wesley on my list. 

I'm off to town for most of the rest of today: diabetes support group, dentist hygenist, the vet to pick up meds for dogs, and a bunch of stores. So I'll catch up with everyone tomorrow.


23 comments:

  1. glad you are feeling less achy and have your appts. made. samson always makes me smile. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love seeing you as a young school girl! How solid and determined you look... It always astonishes me how the memories come flooding back when I come upon photographs from my school days. Even more astonishing is how I can remember the names of people many of whom I haven't thought about for decades! As usual, Inger, a charming post...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey look at all the blondes. Looks like Minneapolis. Ha
    Keep the spirits up and glad you are feeling better.
    Love and peace

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you're feeling better! I ALWAYS love pictures of Samson! I just ordered the "Wesley" book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Inger you were a stunner even back then,tall girl are envied in my family:)
    It is always nice to look back and see old school chums and trip those memories n your mind. Some sad some happy.
    I am glad you are feeling better take care. Bloggers are amazingling loving people. Hugs B

    ReplyDelete
  6. You sound like a gal on a mission with lots of energy, all great news. Glad those aches aren't so bad.

    Inger, you're a natural beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. bring on the pics, i love pics, old ones and new ones and puppy pics are my favorite... glad you are feeling better and that the whining worked. stay safe out there running around today, hope all the snow is gone by now. i went through 12 years of school, graduated in 63 and there was no drama like what they show now. we were more like children, today's children are more adult and things are just different than when we were in school. a lot different.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will look for "Wesley" at the library, next time I head into town.
    Thank you for the tip.
    Thank you very Much for letting us know you feel better . . .
    I can imagine you were picked out - and upon - extra times when you were a child . . I hope you consider your height a blessing now.

    Hm, i wonder if i have any old photos to share. I'll have to go look.

    Great Day to You!
    -g-

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your comment about your classmate with the brain tumor made me sad for some reason. Guess because I have two boys. Ah well...

    Glad you are feeling better -- no more falls, okay? :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful photo. Memories always are a mixed bag, aren't they.
    You will be in my prayers as you walk through the next weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's good that the aches are better. I'm happy to hear a smile on your face.

    Sounds like you have busy times ahead!
    Neat school picture, I don't remember much about the early years in school.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad you like the lab. Wesley the barn owl sounds cool.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad you are well and keeping up with appts. They are important for health. I am always glad to see pics of Samson, no matter!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Inger! I missed yesterdays post. I'm so glad you were not hurt badly. YOu will not believe this... but I fell yesterday too. I was walking in from next door (my office) and I was carrying my macbook separate from my computer case and my left ankle gave way and down I went! I was afraid I might have broken something.. most importantly my mac.. LOL (Not really) I skinned my knee but had no breaks.. Gracie ran right over to offer her love and comfort. I still have no clue why my left ankle twisted. Guess I wasn't watching what I was doing.
    I will be PRAYING for your test results and your overall health. Samson looked beautiful peering out of the window. Gracie sends her love, Samson!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Inger, I'm also sending my good healthy and healing thoughts and am glad the ones sent yesterday have helped and you are feeling better, I hope it continues and everything is okay!!

    I was also the 'tall girl' in my class growing up--I'm 6 ft. tall and have learned to love my height, but just as you found, it wasn't always easy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, as tall and beautiful as a model. I'm glad you're feeling better day. And hope you're feeling better yet tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I haven't read your last post. But I do hope you will pass these tests with flying colors. I understand the diabetes - I am on a 24/7 blood sugar monitor for a week - I sure can't figure out what is happening. So I will go read your before post.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm glad that you're feeling better!

    www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gott Nytt År Inger, skönt att höra att du mår bättre. Du var som jag ett huvud längre än alla andra i skolan.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Inger ... good to know things are looking up a little - wishing you all the very best ... big hugs - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hoppas det går framåt nu....fin klass ni var.
    Krya på dig vidare nu o ta det försiktigt. Kramar från Sverige!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. So glad that they are able to get all the tests done in one visit - that can just add to the stress when you have to go all over and on many days and on an empty stomach too!

    Im not nice though, because I did giggle at your "evil without breakfast" comment... I can relate, except we use the word "wicked"...

    Your childhood photo is wonderful; its amzing how wonderful photos such as yours can prompt so many memories :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi, Inger. I'm composing an email to you, and in yours you said if I got a minute to stop by to see your elementary school picture. It's WONDERFUL. So is the rest of the post, except for all the trouble you're having medically speaking. Now, back to my email to you....

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment.. ~~ Inger

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails