Monday, January 7, 2013

Samson Tracks The Wild Critters



After the so-called snow storm, that left us with only a trace of snow on the ground, mommy and me went for our early morning walk. She had her camera with her, so I knew I would be slowed down in my quest for exercise: Samson, stop, Samson, wait, Samson, Stay........Been there done that.


Samson: Mommy, mommy can you smell -- oh no, of course you can't, but with the wet ground, you can see all the tracks, can't you?
Mommy: Yes, Samson, I can see them. 
Samson: Mommy, mommy can we follow that one? I wonder if it's the lone California wolf?
Mommy: Samson, I think the lone wolf lives way north of here, so it's probably a coyote. Even though it looks like a mountain bike, weird....
Samson: What's a mountain bike?
Mommy: Never mind....


Then mommy says that coyotes walk in a straight line, like that, not like you dogs who are all over the place. When I ask why, mommy doesn't really know, but she thinks it's because they walk with a purpose. She says they have to find their dinner.


I'm wondering how they find their dinner, walking in a straight line like that. Do they know their dinner is waiting for them at the end of the line? Humans, you never know if they know what they're talking about. I find scents of critters walking to and fro. Is that a word? I bet mommy doesn't know. She's not even a real American, she was real old when she became one. 
Mommy: Samson, what are you talking to yourself about? 
Samson: Nothing, mommy, nothing.


After I put my nose to the ground and follow the tracks, I pick up different smells, rabbit for one. Here, someone scratched the ground, but I don't smell any pee. Soldier always scratches up a storm after he leaves his mark on a bush. Not me, I figure anyone can smell my stuff and know to stay away.


Talk about marks, mommy thought this picture was so pretty, she had to put her mark on it: Desert Canyon Living it says. 


After we followed the tracks for a while, we saw how they turned and went under this juniper tree.


We could see how the grass was all matted down and we knew a critter slept here. Maybe for all night long, imagine that! In my backyard, they are all here, but we just don't see or hear them very often. 

Have a nice day everyone!


Posted by Samson, the Samoyed Pup Dog



29 comments:

  1. 'mommy's not even a real american'
    made me crack up!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fine detective work there, Samson, and beautiful(!) photos, Mommy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, Samson! You're lucky you have a field to roam about, with Inger of course.

    And that photo with the title is a good one. A frozen moment before the clouds shift and light changes.
    Good shots, Inger.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bwhahahaha...oh Samson you really does need to blog more often cuz you does crack me up! Hoomans thinks they know everything but they really don't. I has to find my dinner and I not walk in a straight line...hehehe...okay so I don't HAVE to find my dinner but it is fun to hunt anyways.
    Dat foto your mommy took is absolutely breathtakin'...heck, I'd be puttin' my mark ALL overs it too.

    Puddles
    PS: Thanks fur your well wishes fur me

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well if you didn't get enough snow come to Utah! haha I love that same picture. The light coming through the branches is beautiful. As I can only see shape and color it really caught my eye so to speak. :) Thanks for visiting me and I hope your pipes thaw out quickly also.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay Samson, lets get this straight - it wasnt until the early 1900's, like only 100 years AGO did people even know that Samoyeds existed - up to that point you guys lived with siberian nomadic tribes that followed reindeer...we wanted a Samoyed and found Dexterdog because we have mongolian in our heritage and you are supposed to be one of the purest breeds in the AKC registry, and that you are closely related to the wolf more so then other breeds - but you are so family oriented that You guys also make lousy watchdogs unless you count licking someone to death as a defense....so calling your mom out as a late in life American is not cool you still-young-adult-pup you...now go give her a kiss and say youre sorry...

    ReplyDelete
  7. tell Mommy i love the sky at the edge of the mountains, in the header photo and the ones she took while you had to wait on her... you do have a beautiful place to exercise and chase critters. glad you did not find the coyote...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for letting us eavesdrop on this private conversation! Does Samson speak Swedish or do you speak Samoyed or was it in English?

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fun post. My cats never carry on such intelligent conversations with me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Va kul Samson att du var ute o gick med matte, fina bilder hon fick på er dal.
    Gosa med henne ordentligt nu! Kram på er båda!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Humans probably don't know what they're talking about. Dogs, on the other hand, are very wise and knowledgeable.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Samson Says: Thank you, auntie Feral Woman and Dexterdog's mom for letting everybody know my great ancestry. I expect to be treated with respect from now on. I have decided to write a post about my noble background soon.
    Auntie fishducky: I speak a little Russian, samoiedskaya sobaka, that's me!
    Auntie Susan: What do you expect, they're CATS!
    Puddles: I post, I think you miss them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Now Sampson, give your Mom a little credit even though she's not a real American...she does feed you!...:)JP

    ReplyDelete
  14. Samson is such a good narrator on his walks and smart too ... he knows you don't find your food in a straight line down the road. Did he do a through job checking the matted grass to see if their were any indication as to who slept there? Will have to get Samson a CSI kit to take on his walks.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It sounds like Samson has everything under control! lol

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am so glad Samson that your Mommy put her 'mark' on that photo!! It is gorgeous! I was wondering what that was in the middle background of the opening photo......looked at first like a flock of birds or a storm cloud of sorts! But no! It was the peak of a beautiful mountain! Your Mommy is one great photographer Samson...I think you know that, right?!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Samson, you are a real naturalist. That's a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Samson, it sounds and looked like a great walk, even if your mom slowed you down! And that photo your mom put her mark on is absolutely beautiful!! Thanks for sharing! ~Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  19. You've made me smile -- a whole lot!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I agree mark your photos and spread the word!!!Hugs Samson!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hey Sampson,
    It's Cody girl from Montana. I'd love to come and help you on the scent. But to be truthful, my nose ain't the best sniffer for tracking. I excel in herding. I can round them up after you sniff em out. Deal?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Samson, thanks for tracking the wild critters. I didn't know that coyotes followed a single track. That was very interesting.
    Thanks for letting your mom take such neat pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Samson, thanks for tracking the wild critters. I didn't know that coyotes followed a single track. That was very interesting.
    Thanks for letting your mom take such neat pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Chuckle chuckle. My first real giggle for the day, thanks to Samson.

    PS -- foxes run in a straight line too according to the husband.

    ReplyDelete
  25. He's got it under control he does:)

    ReplyDelete
  26. HEY Inger you oops I mean Samson make me laugh. HUGS B

    ReplyDelete
  27. Dear Samson, thank you for sharing your latest adventure with us. I so admire your patience with your "mommy." Like most humans, me included, she needs a little prodding to accept the superiority of dogs and cats! I'm glad you were able to convince her that following the trail to the juniper tree was a quest worthy of a brave and fearless Samoyed like you. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Are there snakes on this region in the summer months ? did you see any ?

    Marcos - Brazil -,Rio de Janeiro

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment.. ~~ Inger

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails