Friday, May 3, 2013

Fishducky's Fables, by Fran Fischer ~ A Book Review


Many of you know Fran, aka fishducky, from her blog, fishducky, finally and as an artist in many different media. I have an on-going series of posts of Fran's art here under the title fishducky's art corner. And now Fran has written a book ~ a book like no other: Her personal take on fairy tales, nursery rhymes, scary stories and more. Fran truly is a comedic genius and she demonstrates it in this very funny book. 



As I began to read the book, I immediately fell down the rabbit hole of Fran's brilliant imagination. While in this other world of Mad Hatters and Cheshire Cats, I encountered the fairy tales of my childhood, slightly altered to better fit our modern world. 

I learned, for example, that the Princess of The Princess and Pea sleeps on mattresses from Sit'n'Sleep; Alice finds a cheeseburger, fries, and a diet Coke next to the Eat Me/Drink Me signs; and the Cheshire Cat wears dentures (of course, why didn't anyone see this before). Reading the book, I was enchanted by the author's ability to insert references to modern life with hilarious and perfect pitch.  

Who hasn't known a kid who asked how the Zebra got its stripes or the Leopard its spots, or who wondered why all the king's men couldn't put Humpty Dumpty back together again. Fishducky's Fables will answer these questions and many more. Organized into five sections, it covers much more than fairy tales. Here you will find all your favorites: Nursery rhymes like you never seen them before, fables, fairy tales, scary stories; even the ancient gods of Greek aren't safe here. 

This book will give your kids references they can understand, for example: The Tooth Fairy sells tooth necklaces on eBay and is so successful that the Tooth Fairy family opens a business called ToothfairiesRUs. 



A book for grownups and kids alike ~ I strongly recommend it to anyone who enjoys a good laugh. 

To read Dee Ready's review of Fishducky's Fables, please click here.









Note: I have created Pages for the posts from my three A to Z Challenges. Just click on a tab at the top of the screen to access my A to Z posts.

19 comments:

  1. i loved fables and fairy tales all my life, this sounds delightful... i wish i had kept my giant book of fairy tales, it got lost somewhere along life's highway... i loved Rapunzel best of all...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fran's imagination is next to no one. She stands out in front in a class all by herself. One funny lady.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Inger - FishDucky's book looks fascinating and as you say a great buy .. I'll look into it once I've got over the A-Z etc ..

    But re your comment on my blog - no worries here re commenting - as far as I can see = normal service to me ..

    There are some "oddies" with other blogs not sure why they happen - something doesn't quite match up with browsers, set up .. or what ever!! Yours is fine ...

    Google + - yes I'll go with you there: some I can access their blogs, others I can't.

    GUI - I think is the 'new' blogger interface that has all the bells and whistles ...

    The Gear Setting blogs may fall into the GUI category too - I just don't know ..

    I did find out that the way some people's computers are set up (or ours), particularly possibly their browser can cause a hiccup ...

    I did email a couple of people - and had answers from one .. no resolve as such though (just the browser comment above) .. the one I had no answer from I can access his blog comments occasionally ..

    It's a strange old world and while I vexed for a while .. I just left it - my tough luck, or theirs!!

    Let me know if this helps.

    Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  4. she is a talented one, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a lovely book. And, who doesn't need to laugh?

    Fishducky is lucky to have you for a friend. I love her drawings and her art.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Inger - glad my answers cleared somethings up - though blogs will always throw up some oddities for whichever / whatever!! reason ..

    Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm reading fishducky's book now. It's great! Thanks for reviewing it.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Inger, as a person who has read Fran's book, I think that your review is absolutely wonderful! I wish I could have found the whimsy and the words that you used.

    Thanks so much for sending your readers to my blog for the review there, but it's from your blog they'll get the best flavor of the book. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It seldom happens, but I find myself at a loss for words. As a matter of fact, I only have 2 for you & Dee--THANK YOU!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds awesome! I wasn't familiar with fishducky before but now want to check out her book and blog both. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That sounds like its right up my alley. I might have to read it to my 15 year old! She'd love it too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sounds like a totally fun book!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I absolutely LOVE this book! It's so much fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great blog, nice atmosphere, interesting here with you. :) Regards! In my note of
    extraordinary event involving historic steam locomotives. You are cordially invited! :)
    I hope you enjoy it. Kisses.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like a darling little book !

    ReplyDelete
  16. I live with someone who can feel a pea under all those mattresses and is a late bloomer - he's 12! sandie

    ReplyDelete
  17. I need to get to know Fishducky! She sounds like a tremendous talent. Two wonderful reviews. I'll be getting the book a.s.a.p! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. OMG of course. Dentures explains it all.
    I tried to click on the picture of her book but got the message--"Oops! Google Chrome could not find http" I will try Amazon.
    Wonderful review. Dee interested me and you pushed me over the edge. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment.. ~~ Inger

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails