Thursday, June 6, 2013

Old Family Photos On This ~ The National Day of Sweden




My uncle Sven, my dad's brother, enjoying a cup of coffee in the snow. Look closely and you'll see he has a fire going, a coffee pot keeping warm to the side of it, and uncle himself sitting on fir branches spread out to protect him from the cold, wet snow. 

Our family, like most Swedes, truly enjoyed being outdoors. At the first stirring of nature in spring, we turned our faces up toward a weak spring sun, grateful to see the end of a long winter. We loved spending summers on the water, boating, fishing, and swimming. 

In autumn, the big forests of Sweden are full of wonderful mushrooms and berries; it was my family's favorite season. We picked mushrooms, blueberries, and lingonberries. My family knew all mushrooms by name; they knew which ones were safe to eat, and the ones to avoid at all cost. Winter for me was skating on hockey skates at the rink below our house. For the older generation, it was cross country skiing with coffee breaks in the snow. This last part I didn't know until I found the picture of my uncle.


Just a few thoughts back on a country that gave me so much, on this, the National Day of Sweden or the Day of the Swedish Flag, as it used to be called when I lived there. This day  celebrates the election (he was the last elected king, the crown has been inherited since then) of Gustav Vasa as King of Sweden in 1523, ending the Kalmar Union, a union of the Nordic countries that had been in effect since 1397. Gustav Vasa is thought of as the man who liberated the Swedes from the tyranny of a Danish king, and as the founder of modern Sweden. 


The Swedish flag, so pretty against a blue sky.



  







24 comments:

  1. i really like that first photo of your uncle, it tells his story just looking at it... and the photo stirred your fond memories.. as photos are meant to do. photos are the pilot light of memories, my favorite quote. i saw the flag like this one on Monica's blog today, she lives in Sweden. have you visited her blog?

    http://dawntreader-island2.blogspot.com/2013/06/graduations-and-celebrations.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Swedish Day - and the flag is pretty against the blue sky. sandie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such nice memories Inger. Love the photos. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, the flag is beautiful against the sky. It is nice to see family photos when someone knows who is in the picture and what they are doing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy National Day of Sweden Inger.
    I like your family enjoy the outdoors and the snow. Maybe we are related:)
    I love your old photos. B

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy National Day of Sweden,Inger!
    It is a beautiful flag, and I love the colour.

    I've always liked the idea of cross-country skiing, but haven't tried it. Hubs liked downhill skiing in his youth.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i know you must truly miss it sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh Inger. that first photo brings me back to so many memories of wisconsin - releasing trees on our woodlots in the winter, having a old coffeepot on the fire filled with boiling water for hot chocolate, drying out my leather choppers nearby...

    and yes, this was a nice post to remember your homeland - happy National day of Sweden!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Enjoy your National Day - It does look like Uncle Sven is quite comfortable sitting there. So nice to have pictures to jog the memories and entertain the mind! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy National Day, Sweden! Inger, I love old photos.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Precious photos...can almost feel the crisp air and your uncle's delight in being out doors.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful photo of your Uncle Sven!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I do love the Swedish flag. So crisp and cheery. I have a few of them on my Winter tree every year!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hoppas att du har en skön nationals dag :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. The Swedish flag is indeed pretty.

    Even though we all move around to different places, the place of our birth and childhood always remains "home" of the heart.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Really liked that picture of your uncle. As kids, we did the same thing around a fire only with hot chocolate and no pipe. Wonderful memories.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Inger! I always love seeing your old pictures and your descriptions of those days gone by are captivating... I so enjoy these posts!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for the delightful post, Inger. Canadians have taken to using cross-country skis quite a bit. It is a good way to travel, and good exercise. I've given mine to my son, as I have trouble using them now.

    I hope you have fun celebrating Sweden's National Day!

    Blessings and Bear hugs!
    Bears Noting, Life in the Urban Forest (poetry).

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy National Sweden Day to you Inger . The flag is beautiful. Love the picture of Uncle Sven.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy Sweden Day!
    What a fun photo of your uncle!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Inger!! Wow, I love your blog... I thought I'd stop by and say thanks for leaving such a kind and thoughtful comment on my blog about my robbery ordeal this past weekend....

    I appreciated it very much! Hope you have a joyful day!

    Jenni

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Inger Feral sent me sorry I did not bring Maple Syrup apparently it is our Canadian tradition I will leave a hug though. HUGS B

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hope you enjoyed Swedish Day.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Such a beautiful country, Inger. You have a lot to be proud of and celebrate on this National Day of Sweden.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment.. ~~ Inger

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails