Tuesday, February 4, 2014

I Signed Up Again!



Well, I did it again, signed up for this year's A to Z Challenge! The A to Z is the brain child of Arlee Bird at Tossing It Out.  It challenges you to post something for each letter of the alphabet every day, except Sundays, in the month of April. That's 26 posts, which corresponds to the number of letters in the alphabet.

I have met so many talented bloggers through this challenge and some have become treasured blogger friends. It's also a lot of fun, trying to come up with something for a new letter each day. If you are interested in finding out more, please click on the A to Z button in my sidebar.

Even so, I was going to skip it this year because I couldn't think of a good theme and wasn't sure I could come up with something enjoyable for others to read. A theme is not required, but for me sticking to a theme is the real challenge. Anyhow, while exchanging emails with my blogger friend D. G. Hudson, I became inspired to try again. D. G. suggested some great subjects, which helped me come up with one of my own. You will find out what it is, come April.   

This will be the fourth year that I participate and I want to challenge myself to limit my words, to work on saying what I want to say without going on and on as I tend to do. My earlier A to Z Challenges have become a bit of a memoir. They are now posted in the Pages at the top of my blog. 

While on the subject of going on and on, I have several posts for my Letters from America, 1963 in draft right now. But I am struck with a ton of insecurity about them. This is unusual for me, normally I just throw things out there, hoping my posts will be read and enjoyed.  I may play around with them for a bit and try to find the right format. 

The letters have brought back so many memories, so much that I had forgotten, and I think they don't present me in the best light either. Maybe I'm embarrassed, I'm not sure. I know I was young, I know I was both brave and silly, caring and selfish, as I settled into life in these United States, trying to figure out this country, its people, and culture; myself, my life, and my life's direction and purpose. 

I'm coming away from these letters and this experience with a great deal of admiration for those of you who write memoirs. 









23 comments:

  1. i could look back at the letters i wrote to my parents or best friend when i was just 20 something and i think i'd scold myself, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope that you blog some of your letters. It's your history and you're lucky it's been preserved by youtr mom.

    Good luck with the Ato Z Challenge.
    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ready to view your letters and memories. I wish I had even 10% of the letters that I have written...

    A to Z, good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am out of luck on the letters thing, i never wrote them and the few i got i tossed as soon as i read them... i might have written 20 letters in my whole life..
    the thing is all the memories are gone because they were not written down and my memory is shot..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I signed up for the A to Z Challenge this year, too! I need some incentive to blog more! Looking forward to reading your letters!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you changed your mind, Inger. Good Luck! I know Samson would guest post for you, wouldn't he?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so looking forward to your A to Z posts, and your memoirs. Mom kept many letters I have written over the decades. Like you, I have forgotten much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kudos to you for keeping the letters. I will have to consider the A to Z. I look forward to yours.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Me encantan las fotografías, son geniales. Ha estado un regalo el visitar tu bloc, te invito visitar el mio y si te gusta espero que te hagas seguidora.
    Elracodeldetall.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm not an A-Z person. I might spend that month sleeping because my followers practically disappear.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looking forward to your A-Z posts!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Although I don't blog much myself anymore, I still keep up with yours. I can't wait to read your A-Z and hope you share some of the letters. Take care, Inger!
    ~Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  13. Although I don't blog much myself anymore, I still keep up with yours. I can't wait to read your A-Z and hope you share some of the letters. Take care, Inger!
    ~Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love Samson's co-author photo at the bottom!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your blogs were very enriching and informative. I am glad that you joined again. I hope that all is well with you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am really looking forward to April and your posts! Last years posts were fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh Inger, I hear you. What and how we thought in our youth helped bring us to where we are today....all the joys, embarrassments, the bad decisions and of course the good one too. They all make up who you are.

    And I for one like what I see here and am curious what brought you to this point. But, no pressure!!! lol

    I love your A to Z Challenge that you do....you put your heart and soul into each one. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm not taking part in the A to Z this year partly because I'm in the middle of a time-consuming cemetery research project but also because my daughter is schedule to have major surgery then and I don't want to be distracted from looking after her.

    Good luck with the challenge. I hope I'll be able to visit and looking forward to the letters blog posts. If you're feeling uneasy about posting them then my advice would be to edit them down and cut out anything that you really don't want the whole world to know about. Hope that helps :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Glad you joined A to Z , Inger...looking forward to your posts, and Inger, we all have things in our life we are not proud of...:)JP

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm not doing the A-Z this year but will be reading yours. The letters must be great to read.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Inger - so pleased you're doing the challenge again this year .. just spotted! I'm sure your letters will provide an interesting read .. and would be good to be out there ..

    Cheers for now - we have a sunny day! Hilary

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment.. ~~ Inger

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails