Monday, March 24, 2014

Troika ~ My First Dog

I have been so busy and not inspired to take pictures and write something on my blog. I also haven't visited blogs for about a week. Hughes Net is coming Thursday to install an upgraded satellite disk with a modem that includes a wifi port. I bought a new Kindle, the cheapest on sale, and also a wifi router so I can download e-books, primarily by blogger friends, more easily. And of course all the rest of the books I want to read. CERT training is going well. I now know how to use a fire extinguisher. I know, I know, I should have known.... I'm posting the story below, one I wrote a long time ago. I hope you will enjoy it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
When I was eleven and twelve, we spent long summer weeks on a farm in the province of Smaland in south east SwedenThe farm came with a large manor house that the owners turned into a small family inn. The guests, we were perhaps four families, ate meals together at a very long table made of blond wood. On this table appeared lots of good and healthy country food: Eggs, fruits, home baked breads, Swedish pancakes with fresh berries, and much more.

There was a lake nearby where we swam and fished. To get there, you walked through a meadow where a large working horse, named Bisman, grazed contentedly. I remember him being a friendly horse, who liked to be petted. 

There were many cows, calves, chickens, geese, and barn cats on the farm. And a bull we were told to stay away from as he was considered quite dangerous. 

And then there were the dogs. The farmer hunted and had two hunting dogs.  One was a Stovare, a Swedish breed, the other a black English Cockerspaniel, named Troika. I spent so much time with that little dog the last summer we were there, our bond became strong as our love for each other grew over the summer weeks. I was heartbroken when our vacation was over and I had to leave her behind. 

My dad often went on business trips to his company's headquarters in Copenhagen. In the fall of that year, my mother went with him. When they arrived back home, there was a big commotion. A dog came flying in the door! A black dog! She rushed up to me and licked my face and it was Troika. My parents had been touched by my devotion to this dog and since Troika was not the best of hunting dogs, some deal was made. On their way home, my parents stopped by the farm and brought her back with them. 

She was young, less than two years old and she was the sweetest dog. She soon became the neighborhood dog, spoiled rotten by everyone. Her tendency to gain weight didn't bother her. On summer afternoons, as soon as the ladies in our street started dinner, there was Troika at their door, asking for a treat. In those days, we left our front doors open in the summer; there were few cars, dogs roamed free, and children played hopscotch, marbles, and jump rope in our suburban street.

Troika's puppies, my mom and the neighbor's kids.

Somewhere in there, Troika had three adorable puppies. My mother found good homes for all of them. 

Troika enjoying a large sausage.

I took good care of my Troika. She required a lot of brushing and cleaning of ears. We went for long walks together to fight the ever losing battle of her waistline. 

She went with us on the boat in the summers and, as we approached land, she would stand in the bow ready to jump. She loved to swim and when she felt we were close enough to land, she would jump into the water and swim the rest of the way. She had a rich and wonderful life with us kids, we were always doing things, playing, running, biking, skiing, boating and she was always there with us. 


More sausage! What were we thinking?

Troika was my dog, she loved me the best and I her. After I went to England, she missed me. I was so busy having adventures that I probably didn't miss her much. When I came home, Troika was old, but still, she was so happy to see me, she ran her fat little butt around the outside of our house several times before she calmed down. 


I was home when she died of kidney failure. She was around thirteen years old. Troika was my first dog, my first love, and you never forget your first love. Tears as I write this, after all these years......

Troika ~ My first dog, my first love.













37 comments:

  1. Hi Inger .. it sounds as though you're sorting a few things out to make life easier. Good for you and the Safety Training .. always good to have that knowledge ...

    Your Troika sounds just lovely and how wonderful of your parents to go back and see if Troika would come back to you ... what a happy ending for her and you both.

    See you when you're ready to do some of the rounds again .. take care and hope the Hughes Net helps a great deal .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, now you have my crying. What a wonderful tribute to a very special friend and love. Thank you for sharing your life with me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, now you have my crying. What a wonderful tribute to a very special friend and love. Thank you for sharing your life with me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful story of devotion, and how your father brought Troika home for you. Those summers on the farm in Sweden sound idyllic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a black and white dog when I was ten that I bonded to very well (Blackie, he was). We were inseparable but when my mother was in the hospital once, no one watched her, when I was away, and she got hit by a car. It didn't kill her but she became blind and had to eventually be put down. I never cried so hard. It still brings tears to my eyes too. A first lesson in life and its fragile nature.

    Good luck with the internet connection, Inger.

    ReplyDelete
  6. how sweet of your parents to surprise you with her! what a sweet, loving dog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. that was so very good of your parents to bring Troika home for you.. good for Troika and for you.... the paragraph about dogs roaming free, and children playing hopscotch, jump rope and marbles is what i did to just add in dolls and paper dolls, and reading books.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Inger thank you so much for sharing this story with us about you first dog Troika. I adored this share about you life and loved the photos too !

    ReplyDelete
  9. How lovely a story! I love looking at the pictures of Sweden and you all those years ago. I am sure when you look at them it brings the past back to life in many ways.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your photos document so much. Troika delighted the lives of all who knew her. So glad you were there for her final tummy rub.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love reading the storey about your first love, Troika.
    What great memories.

    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  12. Inger, my first dog was a black cocker spaniel too!!! Inky was with me from age four until I went to college!...:)JP

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a lovely account of your life with Troika, Inger. She was a wonderful dog I can see.
    We do always remember our first dog....mine was Rusty who was a great little fella.
    Loved seeing these photos.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Inger now I have tears yes you never forget your first love. Oh your parents were the best and your adventures on the farm are I am very sure special indeed. Hug B

    ReplyDelete
  15. Vilken fin berättelse om dig o din hund. Verkligen kärlek som man kan ha till en hund. VI saknar våra vovvar denna veckan då vi är i Österrike och åker skidor. Men de har det bra hemma med vänner som kommit för att bo hos oss denna veckan

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a sweet, sweet story and you are right,we never forget our first. Mine was Susie.
    How neat that your parents saw the bond and brought her to you. What a great life you shared with her.

    ReplyDelete
  17. How sad. Our furry family members do indeed take a large chunk of our hearts when they go. Unbearable.

    #RIP Troika

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, what a lovely story. I love dogs so much, and any story involving them fills me up with warmth. I loved seeing photos of you back then. My first love was my dog Pepsi who we had as a puppy when I was three, who I grew up with for 15 years. I still miss her and we have a photo of her pride of place in our home. Barney our new dog is the perfect size for cuddles, I love him so much already. Thank you for sharing this Inger I really enjoyed it :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lots of tears are being shed while we read your beautiful story of Trioka. We are also crying because you made us remember our first dog and how much we loved and still miss them.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh gosh, I have chills. Your special bond with Troika shines through this beautiful post.

    Ruby (and Angel Pip)

    ReplyDelete
  21. That's a beautiful post, Inger. God bless Troika.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  22. Awww - what an idyllic summer and a wonderful story about your first dog.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a lovely story of your first and dear dog, Inger!
    Your parents was very kind to bring Troika home for you! What a lovely surprise to you and to Troika too. I am glad that Troika had adorable puppies too. Love seeing all your photos!
    Thanks for that sweet post, dear Inger!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Troika looks like a very cute puppy.No wonder you wanted to write a tribute.
    I all most did not recognize you in the pictures.
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a beautiful love story. Your parents really knew how to see and listen. You were a blessed kid.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love the fact your parents brought Troika home to you. Not an easy feat, I imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks for your comments on my blog.
    And I found your blog to!
    I coming back soon
    Kathrine

    ReplyDelete
  28. Inger, what a beautiful and special story. What lovely days you had then! It was a wonderful time when doors did not have to be locked. Thanks for your story!

    Mary Montague Sikes

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a special memory you have shared with us. I teared up!

    ReplyDelete
  30. A lovely, heartfeltstory. And such charming pictures. Thanks for sharing. Makes me think about my first dog.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi Inger,
    Love the new photo on the header!!
    Hope you have a lovely week.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh, my, that farm sounds idyllic! And how lovely that Troika became your own dog!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Troika was indeed beautiful and such a good friend. One of the hardest things about giving your love to a dear pet is knowing they will one day leave us. But they do leave something of themselves in our hearts, and it's clear that Troika has done that, too. I'm so glad you shared this wonderful story that included a little more about your mother and father, too. Many warm and loving memories.

    ReplyDelete
  34. What a beautiful post my friend. You really put your heart into it and I enjoyed it. Have a good weekend! I hope you can get outside and enjoy it! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  35. Troika was one special dog! Thanks for sharing your story. I had a cocker spaniel too named Tippi. It reminds me of how much pets enrich our lives. Good luck in the A-Z. Stop by my blog for some yummy fruit!
    http://shells-tales-sails.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment.. ~~ Inger

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails