Thursday, March 19, 2015

Update On Hubby & Hepatitis C ~ Update On Me ~ And What To Do About The A to Z



Yesterday, March 18, 2015, (I had to note the date) after 33 days, I knew that my husband recognized me and understood me. They removed the breathing tube on Monday, but had to re-insert it after he became very tired. I spent a couple of hours with him and one hour in the support group. Before I left, I said: "I have to go home now and take care of Samson and Faith." He nodded, and a smile came into his eyes. A precious moment, after all this time.


I love support groups because you learn so much and you do understand that you are not alone. Listening to the people in the group, I was astonished to learn how many of them are suffering from Hepatitis C, the chronic infection that my husband had. These people either have a new liver or are waiting to receive one. It many take 20 to 30 years for the HepC virus to destroy your liver, but when it does, the results are devastating. Because so many may have the disease and not know it, I'm adding this quote:

Contracted via blood-to-blood contact, hepatitis C is an infection caused by a virus that attacks the liver and leads to inflammation. Many people infected with chronic hepatitis C (HCV) have no symptoms. In fact, most people do not know they have the hepatitis C infection until liver damage shows up decades later. 

I am mentioning this because it can't hurt to have your liver function checked. Now that there's a cure. 

My husband was diagnosed in 1991 and, since he didn't have any of the other risk factors or risky behavior, he most likely got it from a 1986 blood transfusion. Ironically, at a UCLA affiliated hospital. There was no good cure until December 2013, when the drugs my husband took came on the market. Earlier this year, I was tested, and fortunately was negative for the virus. 


I know we didn't take this disease as seriously as we should have. When we heard on TV ads for the new drugs that HepC can cause liver cancer, my husband went back to his liver doctor. Tests were done, and he was diagnosed with liver cancer. And so it all began, back in May of 2014. I hope that his nod yesterday, and the glint in his eye, mean that we have turned a corner and are moving toward better and healthier times. A long road ahead, but we will travel it together. 


While this may look like a nice forest picture taken from an airplane, it's just the weeds that have sprouted all around our house. Since I can't handle the weed-whacker or the gas operated lawnmower, I put my electric one back together, charged it up, and started mowing. It went great and was a lot of fun! 


In the house, keeping in mind the extra clean environment that will be needed for my husband, I moved on to clean the refrigerator and its freezer drawer. (In there he had collected, amongh other things,  a bunch of fish heads, no doubt for some future fish soup. All gone now, there will be plenty more where they came from.)
I still have the large freezer left to do, but it will be a while before hubby can home. 


Then I moved on to the spice cabinet, yes, a whole corner cabinet dedicated to spices, herbs, hot sauce and so on. I purged all with expired dates, scrubbed the shelves, and organized the rest. There's now lots of room for more stuff in this cabinet; they made them pretty big back in the '70s when our house was built. And now I'm working on the cabinets dedicated to pantry service. It feels so good, I must have wanted to do this for years!


This post is getting way long, but it's only because I write so few. Just as when someone calls me now, I tend to babble. I guess because I have no one to talk to here. Human contact is very important, after all.

I signed up for the A to Z before all this happened with my hubby. I have always done it a day at a time, enjoying the challenge of coming up with something new for each letter, just the day before. So I hadn't thought about it, at all. Then on St. Patrick's Day, I realized that April is not far away. My theme to be was: Treasures From My Bookcase. I had picked out some books I wanted to write about, but that's all. So I decided to skip the A to Z this year. Too much uncertainty. 

The top shelves of one of my bookcases (when it was nice and tidy ~ a mess now).

While I fretted about this decision (I enjoy the A to Z so much, after all) before going to sleep, I remembered that I used to have a weekly post, called Wednesday's Book, where I actually reviewed books. Then I thought that maybe I could find some books in those posts, plus some from my annual posts about Good Books. I got so excited, I almost jumped out of bed to check it out, but contained myself and waited until Tuesday morning. I had to write something new about a couple of books; and it took some editing, adding the theme, adding some other books to a post, adding some from my Kindle, but I now have posts from A to H more or less completed. So, maybe I can do it, we'll see. 


For those of you who made it to the end of this long post, here are some spring flowers posted outside our stores in town. We had no winter this year, not a single snowfall (and I so wanted to see what Faith would do in the snow....), and now spring is almost here, officially. Have a good day and thanks for stopping by. 









35 comments:

  1. Thank God your hubby is now responding!! You know he's a fighter--he'll make it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Inger - exactly thank goodness for that delightful smile and nod of encouragement for the dogs. You are amazing and obviously just getting on with the necessities ... so you're prepared ... well done and for being resourceful ...

    That's good re the A-Z .. you can always drop out ... and so don't feel stressed ... just enjoy what you can - but well done on finding those book reviews .. and having got A- H done and dusted ...

    Been thinking of you .. go well and take care and all the very best - Spring is just about here .. big hugs Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for explaining and sharing. Once again I feel you hope and you "carrying on" in this post. You are a strong woman. Keep cleaning. It is good therapy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Inger, It pleases me so to learn that your husband gifted you with a smile all the way to his eyes. The eyes are the mirror of the soul and he's happy. I'm also very happy that you are enjoying purging the excess of outdated stuff. It's way easier to do when one is alone I find.

    By the time your husband comes home the house will be spick and span and I bet you even the dogs will have had their bath.

    Having a support group is so important at a time like this. I'm glad you shared that information with us about Hepatitis C.

    We have still so much snow with having two storms back to back this week but some even got it worst than we did.
    Take care and tomorrow Spring begins on the calendar for us at least.
    Hugs and prayers.

    JB

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad your hubby is responding! I don't blame you for not doing the A-Z challenge this year. You've got a lot on your plate!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad your hubby is responding! I don't blame you for not doing the A-Z challenge this year. You've got a lot on your plate!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the update. The glint in your husband's eyes is a good thing and must have felt great. I need to purge my spices... one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is heartening to read how you are handling this adventure - and it is a true gift that you take time to share with all of us. Thank you - and now i am REALLY looking forward to reading about your books . . . (it would be handy if that cleaning enthusiasm took residence in my world . . )

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is wonderful news that he knew you and spent that time off the ventilator. especially the smile when you mentioned his babies. I pray now that he will contiue to heal and will be home soon with the three of you... i believe that hard work is beneficial to the soul when we are worried or upset. i clean much better if i am angry or worried. a double benefit. clean house and soul feels better to. hugs and i would not worry about a to z or any blogging as long as all this is going on. just do it if you want and don't if you don't. blog is fun not a job.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so happy to hear things are looking better. I will continue to pray.
    Thank You for the pretty flowers :-) I needed a dose a of Spring today.
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Step by step is the way it goes. So glad to hear the good news. Beautiful flowers. Thanks! As for the A to Z, I signed up then realized I can't do it, especially as what energy I do have, after caring for my daughter, I'm using to write one more memoir, my spiritual journey one.

    I also know how much energy it takes to clean out shelves, etc. I've been doing this the past week as you have been doing yours. Doesn't it make you feel great when it's done? I've been bouncing for days as I look at Jen's walk-in closet that's now uncluttered, and the way I've consolidated lots of food storage in my kitchen cupboards.

    Keep up the good work. And here are many prayers for your husband's continued recovery.

    (sorry for the above deletion. I should proofread before I click!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. My dear Inger, I have been out of the blogging loop for a while and am only now catching up with your great trials and tribulations. Your positive attitude and fortitude are qualities that bring great hope out of despair and I am sure have helped your husband immeasurably. I always have enjoyed your A-Z postings and hope that since they mean so much to you that you will be able to continue this year, too. It will be a sign that the world for you is coming right again.

    ReplyDelete
  14. SOOOO good to hear your husband had a good day and knew you! i am hoping he can keep getting stronger. i am glad you have a support group to go to - just to feel kinship with others facing this journey! glad you got the electric mower going and you are cleaning like crazy! :) i'm glad it all feels good to you. bless you, inger. love from texas sent to all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am so happy to read that your husband is responding! And that he smiled at you, what a precious moment that must have been for you. I can understand why you dropped out of the A-Z. I'm not doing it this year either in spite of always enjoying it in the past. My heart just isn't in blogging right now though. I look forward to checking out your Wednesday review posts, sounds like a great idea.
    Take care and I hope your husband continues to improve each day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I wasn't clear in my post, b ecause both you and some others above throught I wasn't going through with the A to Z. What I tried to say was that I decided to use my earlier reviews for some of my A to Z posts, so I will be doing it. At least A through H, those are almost done.I will just be doing it in a different way. Come to think of it, I don't know how many people will want to read about my books. We'll see, main thing is to have fun. And I will miss you, Julie.

      Delete
  16. Good news Inger smiles and twinkling eyes sounds good to me. Support group is what you need. Take care OK Hugs B

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am so glad to read that your husband is improving, and is able to recognise and respond to you! That had to have been so reassuring and uplifting for you. Glad, as well, to read that you are part of a support group... especially when everything falls on your shoulders, you need that.

    Whilst I don't do the A-Z challenge I am addicted to books, so I'm certainly looking forward to those posts. Take good care of yourself; sending hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Glad to hear that your husband is showing some positive signs toward recovery! Prayers for you Inger, to maintain your strength and positive outlook.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think you should do whatever makes you happy and comfortable. I'm so glad your husband connected with you.

    Love and prayers,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  20. There’s hope again. Hope that all will be well.
    Take it one day at a time, as no doubt you already do, and take care of yourself. You will need all the strength you can muster.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm so glad he responded to you my friend. I know that made you feel better. And I love seeing your shelves of books and the sweet dolls on top. Take care of yourself this week and don't work too hard. Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  22. The Wednesday Book Post sounds like a good idea and less stress. I am having qualms about the A to Z as well. Some 3rd World Nations don't have as many people as are participating! I'm glad you liked my post of today! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hello Inger, I've missed you in Theresa's fences,
    and today I saw your comment and came over
    for a visit. I was quite shocked about what I had
    to read here (and I read it all).
    You are both going through so much, I wish you
    all the strength you need to go through this.
    Loved to read that he recognises you and
    I hope this will be the beginning of a step by
    step recovery.
    Here is a big hug for you and
    some flowers

    (⁀‵⁀,) ✿
    .`⋎´✿✿¸.•°
    ✿¸.
    Sending alot of energy to you both

    【ツ】Knipsa

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh I am so happy to hear the good news about your husband. : ) I pray he continues to improve.
    I have a corner cabinet just like you full of spices.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I didn't know anything about hepatitis c until I read your post. I don't know if I have ever been exposed but I have been exposed to blood. I will ask my doctor about the test. Seems like a lot of progress has been made with your husband.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great news Inger - I admire your strength and I'm so glad that you're seeing signs of his recovery.. Long may it continue.
    I decded yesterday that I wasn't going to do the A to Z this year, even though I have sort of prepared a good few of them... But after reading yours I might go back and have another look in a few days and not give up yet -- I loved it last year. We'll see.
    Please pass on that cleaning bug to me as well when you're done with it :) Have a good weekend and get as much rest as you can.
    Fil

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wonderful news that your husband was responding to you. What a blessing and relief that had to be. I am so ghlad you have a support group to bring you ease. I am a HUGE believer in the benefits they can supply when times get tough for us. I no longer use mine for support but just for their amazing friendship.
    I am also glad you had yourself tested. That is one worry off your mind.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thank you so much for the update, Inger! I have been praying every morning. I love your strength! Hopefully, from visiting you here often, I can draw from that strength. Glad that your husband had a look in his eyes that showed hope. Give Samson hugs for Gracie.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wonderful update! To see the glint in the eye means everything.
    A 2 Z or not to do A 2 Z? With your photograghy gift, why not put up photos? The letter could be how the photo makes you feel?
    You are starting to sound more like yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I read your post at work, when I was having a few minutes of "dull moment". I was thrilled to know that your husband recognized you. This is wonderful
    I know only too well about keeping our home extra clean after my husband's surgery. That kept me busy and it will keep you busy too.
    I had to come home to comment. The internet at work lets me read, but I cannot write for some reason, except business stuff.
    Those flowers are pretty.
    I am not doing the A" to Z. Too busy ar work.
    Take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  31. wonderful that he recognized you and smiled! And thanks for explaining hep c. I never knew all that. It always feels great to clean everything out and start fresh. Hope you have a good week and even more good news coming up.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Im so glad you were able to connect with your honey - and now that spring has arrived, so will the healing! XOXOX

    ReplyDelete
  33. I hope it means a turning point too - with him knowing you and smiling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I guess if you go for physicals and they run tests they would see how your liver functions. And everything has to be super clean for him????

    ReplyDelete
  34. Dear Inger, de-cluttering, I've always found, can be so therapeutic. So comforting. I'm glad you are taking advantage of this time to move from one task to another. It seems to me that you are doing what I always wish I would do--live in the present moment.

    And I'm glad to learn that you are going to do the A-Z because I know how much you enjoy it. Peace.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment.. ~~ Inger

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails