Thursday, November 5, 2015

Notes From The Canyon


This morning brought the first frost to the canyon, 22 F and, unfortunately, only 55 in the house. Remembering that old folks can get hypothermia, I quickly turned on the heaters (we never used the floorboard heaters, not trusting the electric, I think) so stand-alone heaters and a fire in the wood burning stove/fireplace are enough to heat this small house. But I'm leaving the fireplace alone until the chimney gets cleaned.


Faith says, mommy it's cold outside, either I go running, or you let me inside.


So I can go snooze by the heater. 

She gets cold this dog. I keep hoping she'll grow some winter fur, but now I think I may have to crochet her a vest. Not that I would know how to do that, so it would be a challenge, and then she'd probably eat it. My Material Girl, is who she is.


Back to the hypothermia - I quickly put on longjohns and brought out this wonderful wool sweater, made and worn by my friend Carol. She gave it to me when I first moved up here and it has kept me warm ever since. It's a bit worn now, but I still love it. One of those gifts that just keep on giving.



It rained here for about two days, on and off. A soft and much needed wonderful rain. There was no point in Glenn coming; Tuesdays and Wednesdays are the days he works here, but it was just too wet and muddy. With no one here, I got to work on my closets. I emptied out Errol's closet in here, cleaned it, and then put my clothes in it. I accomplished most of what I set out to do. My "office" clothes and my nicer clothes for going out are still in my closet in the master bedroom. I guess I will never wear most of those clothes again, so I need to go through and purge some more.


This is the master bedroom right now. I just throw everything in there and then work my way through it. It's not as bad as it looks though, the boxes are empty I'm taking some more clothes to the thrift store today, and the rest I will sort through and take care of. When I'm done with this and the hall closet, I'm ready to begin tackling the old van that we have used as a storage unit for years now. It's stuffed to the gills also, but I hope to get the stuff down to where I can find room for it in my little house. I'm good at this, so I think I can make it work.



These were all the hangers left after I cleaned out Errol's closet. A lifetime's worth of clothes hangers, I thought. It made me sad. This is not easy, cleaning out what's left behind. All these hangers, empty now, no longer being used for Errol's clothes, brought home the temporary nature of our stay on this earth. 

I felt sad, but I don't want to end this on a sad note so I want to let you know that I kept many of his clothes and I'm wearing them. And that doesn't make me sad. It actually makes me smile to think that Errol was almost 4 inches shorter than I, but with age, I shrunk so that now I can wear his jeans! 








30 comments:

  1. I think it is sweet, and comforting, that you wear his clothes my friend. love you, stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep warm and I am happy those jeans fit . HUGS HUGS B

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, my puppy would at least taste (and maybe eat) and clothing i tried to provide for her . . .
    She would enjoy your colder weather . . .
    I hope some Special and Unique Joy surprises you . . .
    love & love to YOU

    ReplyDelete
  4. We had a frost this morning, too, the 6th here, It was minus 04.C, just enough to kill the runner beans, so off to spray with water before the sun gets up. You are doing so well with sorting and giving away, but keeping some for yourself is healing too. What about a fleece coat for Faith, so easy to make and wash. You could almost do one without a machine. A rectangle, cut 2 holes for the front legs, a little curve for the throat and under the neck, and safety pin together at the top??? But a machine would make it smarter, and after all, Faith is such a good looker, a perfect model.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can picture Errol smiling at the thought of you wearing his jeans!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a sweatshirt that was my dads. I love wearing it. I think it's sweet that you are using his clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i think it is wonderful you are cleaning out closets and de cluttering, and i know it has to be hard. great idea to use his jeans and i wish i could wear bobs, they are way to small for me and nothing i am happy about. i am sure you will figure out how to knit a sweater for Faith.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It must be hard sorting through Errol's clothes but how nice that you find comfort in wearing some of them. : )
    Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know what a hard job sorting through the clothes must be. I haven't done it yet! I know it will be tough. I can't wear any of Richard's clothes. But the grandson can and he has already taken what he wants. Grandpa would like that!

    ReplyDelete
  10. faith is so cute. smiling at you wearing errol's clothes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're doing great with decluttering Inger - lots of people will be offering you a job at the end of this hard time - to come and do the same for them:) I'm guessing there may be some joy in what you're unearthing as well as sadness. xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Inger. That was very difficult to do but something that needed to be done if you are to continue to move forward. You are a brave and courageous woman.
    And how great it is you can wear Errol's clothes.....some of them anyway. That will feel so comforting I am sure.
    Frost eh? We had just one night of a light frost but nothing too serious as of yet.
    Do take care and always good to see you at my blog. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are doing so well Inger. It must be bittersweet for you to clean out Errol's closet. How fortunate that you can wear his jeans. If you look back on all that you have accomplished since Errol's passing, I'm sure that your list is long.
    We've had several frosts but are back to warmer fall temperature and rain. I'm sure the frost is not far away.
    Have a safe weekend.
    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  14. No frost here yet, it will be here soon.
    J n J get a slightly thicker undercoat, but never get fluffy. Faith should be alright as long as she's an indoor/outdoor dog.
    Cleaning closets is not something I care to do. Nice that you found some of Errol's clothes that fit.
    Yes, I also have a favorite sweater. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awwweee... I see our heart <3 You have been busy! It is so sweet that you can now wear Errol's clothes. Stay warm!! We send our love! Me 'n Gracie.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Inger! Having gone through my brother's things a few months ago, I know the feelings you're having as you go through things, and see in some way, the sum of their life -- It is a little sad. But just as you've done, I've kept a few clothes that belonged to my brother, for me sweatshirts and a jacket and like you again, I find it gives me a bit of a lift -- And what always makes me laugh is that my dogs play with some of his "college stuffed animals" that he treasured. He would have hated that they have them, and probably would have been angry, but I grin because there's nothing he can do about it. :-)!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Do stay warm! You and Faith need to snuggle up under a fuzzy blanket. My husband, and his family, are still going through my Mother-in-law's things. It is hard for them, as I know it must be for you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's great recycling Inger, wearing some of Errol's clothes. He would likely be amused and it's practical if they fit. I'm trying to think of little jobs to keep me busy and from thinking too much while hubs is back in the hospital. Cleaning and organizing is good for that.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Inger - we haven't had frost yet - thankfully! In fact it's unseasonally warm .. I've had the heating on mainly for visitors and then only once or twice so far. I'd love to wear wool - but can't. You could cut off most of the sleeves of a very old jumper and use one or two for Faith .. that'll keep her warmer - my SIL does that for her dog/s.

    Gosh you are getting organised - that's good and will be a relief .. and how wonderful you're able to wear Errol's clothes ... saves loads of cash ... and for being at home - why not. As DG says .. I can see Errol smiling happily down on you and the dogs ... and it's lovely seeing the photos ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my 22°. That's cold! It's hard to go thru a husbands clothes..I know. I had to do it two years ago. But I know people are getting good use from them and that's a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. There's always so much to do but you can take your time and tackle it when you feel like it. You are smart to keep some of his things to wear. It will give your comfort. Sweet hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  22. Good morning dear Inger!
    Really is so sad and not easy cleaning out your dear Errol's closet...
    I agree with Denise, is very sweet and comforting that you wear his clothes.

    I can see you are very organised and it is good!
    I think that you will do a beautiful crochet vest to warm lovely Faith. I hope she don't eat it. Lol!
    Wishing you stay warm and have a lovely weekend with adorables Samson and Faith.
    Lots of ((Hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  23. These are difficult tasks that must be done. I know the feeling of wearing a lost loved-one's clothes. It is a beautiful warmth and I can feel their arms around me once more protecting me.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I hate going through and pitching stuff. I'm always afraid I"ll need each item again sometime, and will be looking for it. Love your header, and your dog looks so cozy by the warmer.

    ReplyDelete
  25. You are right about the coat hangers. I had to clear my brother's house out a year ago and at the end it was as if he had never existed. I have a painting he painted and I look at it everyday. I think he would be pleased. I'm glad you're wearing his clothes it will help you feel close to him.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Sorting through closets can be a painful process but I like how you are combining yours and Errol's clothes and using the best of both.I have the hardest time letting go of clothing.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm just saying ...... (first off sad to me that you are in this position of having to clean out your husband's closets and get use to life on your own).....but I'm just saying - ....there's something captivating in a quiet way so to speak about your writing. It's like peering in on one anothers' thoughts and feelings but feeling like this person is doing okay and even though there is grief and lonliness etc., there is still a spark in her and getting on with life and such. Ii can't put my finger on it exactly - but u definitely have a gift for writing.

    ReplyDelete
  28. The mass tangle of hangers could be my collection.

    After my father-in-law died, I gathered some of his shirts. Nearly 18 years later, I cut them into quilt squares, made a quilt for mother-in-law. Both have been "Mom and Dad" to me for 43 years.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment.. ~~ Inger

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails