Tuesday, February 2, 2016

FROZEN!


This little house where I live now was built in 1977 and has floorboard heaters, which Errol felt were not safe. Since I don't like them either, we made do with space heaters and the wood burning stove in the living room. I turn off all heaters at night and go to sleep under an enormous feather bed my friend Carol gave me when I first moved up here. So I didn't feel cold when I woke up this morning, even though it was 16F outside and 50 inside. 



But as soon as I got up, I realized how cold it was in the house. Since one of the two heaters in the living room conked out the other day, I knew it would be a while before the house got warm. I quickly turned on the other heater and built a fire, then went back to bed and had my breakfast. But the house would not heat up. We have had wind storms here for a long time it seems, the latest with gusts up to 70 mph; it has been unbelievable. I dressed in thermals and wool, but my feet were still so cold. No wonder, I slept in summer cotton socks. Then I remembered I had some very ancient raggsocks (a Scandinavian wool sock that really keeps you warm) stored somewhere. It has been so warm here in recent winters, I had to think to remember where they were. Once I found them and put them on, my feet were warm again. The raggsocks above are from Google Images. I know I complained about Google in my last post, but say what you will, you can find just about anything there.  



Last week, the CERT team from our canyon toured the Lehigh Cement Plant, located outside the city of Tehachapi. The lecture was interesting, but not sure about those filters to screen out mercury the tour guide reassured us about. A couple of years ago, they had a high emission rate of mercury, or so it said in articles at the time. 


But it was great to see everyone. Here I am to the left, holding on to my hat since the wind was strong. Our canyon CERT leader Dave, who with his wife Bernice arranged for the tour is to my right and the Tehachapi mountain range is behind us. And check out that magnificent cloud!


The cement plant employs around 110 people and has an interesting history going back to 1909, when limestone was first quarried and used to build the Los Angeles Aqueduct. Even though I drive by here all the time, I had not realized how huge the place is. The walking tour took a lot out of me, we stood around listening to our guide telling us about all the different buildings and processes; it was very windy, and when we went up (in an elevator) to the ninth floor of the tower, the wind was unbearable. Still, I'm glad I went, it was interesting, and I appreciate that our CERT leaders arranged the tour for us. At the same time though, I'm so happy I traveled when I was young. I think my touring days may be over......




Then these yellow clouds appeared the other day. You know I get the best clouds up here, but I've never seen any this bright yellow. Orange, yes, and these turned to orange after a while. They were so pretty, I wanted to share them.
 

And then the snow came and with it more severe winds. When I took the dogs out in the morning, one side of my road was clear of snow, then I stepped on to the other side and sank down in a snow drift way over my boots. But we love it, the dogs and I. 


This is Samson's tail after being out in a wet snowfall earlier this month. He just loves this time of the year. A true snow dog.



Only a few years ago, I know I liked cold and snow better than I do today. I still want it to snow and be cold, but I feel my age and I'm not as enthusiastic as I once was. Snuggling with Faith by the fire may just be more my thing now. 







36 comments:

  1. love the snow tail and the tale of two people snuggling on the sofa.. that yellow sky is awesome and i love the shed pic to. i don't like high winds and really don't like cold.. 55 is my lowest i am comfy with. i can see where rag socks would help your feet. we sleep without heat to. i have always preferred to sleep without heat, even when we lived in cold country

    ReplyDelete
  2. love that snow dog! :) sweet faith. she knows a good thing. when my feet get cold, i am cold all over, too. lovely skies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing quite like a good snuggle by the fire, with a canine companion of course! I keep a feather cover on my bed and love it. Nothing like it! Stay warm, Inger!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tour. Love the sky.

    Stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You get the most magnificent skies.

    There is nothing like a good pair of socks. If your feet are cold, so seems the rest of you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is the first time I read about rag socks. I always called them either wool socks or cotton socks. Like Theresa, if my feet are cold, my whole body is cold.

    I use a magic bag I made myself by roasting oats in a 200 °F. in the oven to kill any molds or bacteria and I sew a bag with thick material like jeans and loosely fill the bag and sew the opening and I use it over and over again. I heat it a two minutes in the microwave and I bring it to bed with me. You can use rice or barley instead of oats. It warms up the bed and feel so comfortable.
    You can look up Magic Bag on the web. It's made here in Canada.

    The dogs love the snow and it's different for them. I don't care for the snow either since i've aged but I know God in His wisdom has made the snow for a purpose.

    You look all cosy on the cough with Faith keeping you warm.

    Spring soon will be here. I'm already looking at seed catalogues.
    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think the snuggling is good for both of you! Take care and stay warm! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  8. The wind and clouds have been amazing. Beautiful and terrifying. I envy your wood burning stove. I highly recommend the Vornado heater on Amazon. It saves me in the morning!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You do have beautiful clouds there, nice shots.
    When the wind blows that hard, it's difficult to heat a house. Heavy socks help you stay warmer, even a knit scarf and a stocking hat are part of my own, "Can't get warm" days.
    Slowing down isn't so bad. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I learned growing up that if you keep your feet, hands, neck and ears warm and you will be OK. I did put on the little scarf I crotched last year of baby alpaca yarn that I found at the thrift store. It's wonderful and warm.

      Delete
  10. Snuggling with your marvelous fur-companions sounds really good to me.
    Please take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anything at all that resembles " COOL' would be so welcome down here, we had 34.7 Celsius today, I think almost 95F. Love those photos, and your socks, a great idea. Keep warm.

    ReplyDelete
  12. "I turn off all heaters at night and go to sleep under an enormous feather bed my friend Carol gave me when I first moved up here." I think you mean you sleep under a feather quilt & NOT under the bed!! Love the sweet picture of you & Faith.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's actually called a feather bed because you are supposed to sleep on top of it. I know it sounds funny to say I sleep under it. At least that's what I have been told. Now I guess I have to Google it too.

      Delete
  13. Oh the yellow clouds are beautiful. I am happy you found the warm socks and I think Faith and Samson will keep you warm. That was an interesting tour. Keep warm and safe. HUGS B

    ReplyDelete
  14. We have had such a mild winter out here in IL. Though I guess I don't mind much ...like you, I like snow, but I also like being inside by a fire with the pets.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good morning Inger!
    Looks very interesting the tour to CERT even the wind was strong.
    Gorgeous the yellow clouds and the photo of the snow!
    Just funny seeing Samson's tail after being out in a snowfall.
    Sounds so nice snuggling with Faith on the couch.
    Stay warm my dear Inger!
    Lots of hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Clouds are very pretty and calming....
    I'm not liking the cold and snow anymore...I long for balmy warm weather...Florida?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my, that snow-crusted tail is so cute. I love your walk and the pictures. What a beautiful landscape, though cold!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh those socks looks toasty warm!!
    Snowy pictures are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have no interest in the cold weather I used to live in. I'm quite sure my blood has thinned.

    ReplyDelete
  20. My feet are always freezing in the wintertime! I have to check out those socks but if they are too warm then my feet got hot and I hate that, too! Oh well, no making me happy I guess!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Amazing photos of clouds. My mum used to wear a woolen hat to bed when it was cold.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Samson, Gracie wants to race right over there and warm you up! What fun you must be having! Inger these pictures are beautiful, as always. And I love, love, love the last one of you resting with Faith. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your cloud pictures are amazing. I feel the same way about the snow. Used to like it. Now I don't! Thank goodness we haven't had much here in Kansas this winter. Yet!

    ReplyDelete
  24. The shed in the snow makes me feel like I am back in Illinois! Great pictures.

    Have you considered using Faith and Samson as warm comforters?

    ReplyDelete
  25. Yep, wooly socks are good for cold, love to have them for "my" cold weather, which is a bit warmer (30's) but still nice. Love the pics of the yellow sky, and boy, pup looks comfy!!
    Cat

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Inger ... ooh I'd feel cold .. I can't wear wool and so really suffer. Wonderful tour you were able to have - and to see how far the plant has come in over 100 years. Beautiful photos ... and then that snow - not nice to think about. Samson's tail is a great shot! Take care and hope the winds stop soon ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  27. We have a lot in common. When I was younger I really enjoyed the snow coming in, and I didn't care much if I could't get out of the woods for a while But now, although I enjoy the snow, it makes me a little on edge not being able to leave if I want to or need to.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Look at those clouds! great photos, Inger!
    It looks really cold there....keep bundled up and keep moving if you can. that's where the dogs come in handy,eh? Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I feel for you - my house is always cold - it has high wood ceilings, lots of big windows upstairs and downstairs where my bedroom is - it just never warms up with the heat on. And about those winds you experienced, I feel for you! We have had more wind events that I care to have. It seems we will go from cold straight to summer humidity - at least that's what it felt like last year. Fall and spring go so quickly here in the mountains. Enjoyed your post and photos.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Our house is very poorly insulated and there is no heater, except the wood stove, downstairs. Sometimes it it below 50 in the house in the morning and that is miserable! The wood stove does a good job but it takes it awhile to get things warmed up. We also sleep under a big feather duvet and love it -- but getting up in the morning is difficult!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love the yellow clouds! I've never seen any that colour. I like the way snow looks but it causes all kinds of havoc on our roads here. You be sure and be careful when out walking your pups. We are having a very mild winter, it feels like early spring. . .

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi there, Samson.
    It's been quite a while since I've checked out my blog friends, but I had to stop by and say "Hello" to you after watching Bogey , the Samoyed, win the Working Group at Westminster. I hope you have been watching too.


    ReplyDelete
  33. How's it going, Inger? Are you warming up yet? Our averages are beginning to get a little warmer now. I hope you are well and everything is hunky-dorry.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment.. ~~ Inger

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails