Sunday, September 18, 2016

GranFondo 2016 ~ Tehachapi, California


Here we go again, how fast a year goes by! On Saturday, bicyclists from all over gathered in our town for the 2016 Tehachapi GranFondo. 



This year, I helped out at the entrance to our canyon. Only the best riders, those who sign up for the 100 and 80 mile rides, go down the canyon and turn around for a roundtrip of about 12 miles. Mary is to the left and I'm to the right in the above picture, and, as you can see, we had plenty of water. We also had powdered electrolytes and protein bars.  And a tray full of doughnuts and muffins. (It went fast!) A more full service station with sandwiches and such was 10 miles ahead.


The pro and elit bikers come by so fast, look so great, but it's over in the blink of an eye, so no pictures. Then come the rest and they stop, they talk, use the port-a-potties, fill up their water bottles, grab a protein bar before they take off again.




The GranFondo is only a race for the best cyclists, for the rest it's more of a folkfest. For me, it's a lot of fun, a great time with friends, helping in a small way to make the event a success for our town. 


These guys wanted to be in my picture and on my blog too. It was really fun to see so many older bikers participating in the event. 



I thought the bike rack was really cool. We will need more of them for next year. A lot more people than last year came by this station, so notes were made of items we will need more of. In its third year, the Tehachapi GranFondo is a big success. 



As you can see, people are taking their time, meeting friends, and socializing with fellow cyclists. 


Then the pros returned from their trip down the canyon, still as fast, so I only caught this last guy. 


Followed by this great old car. 

Fun as it is to see the really great cyclists zoom by, it's those who had some bad luck early on, but who didn't give up, that I will remember best. 









24 comments:

  1. that's awesome. have been to a few bike rides/races as a spectator or supporter. they work and train so hard...

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great event! I, too, think it's just wonderful to see older cyclists enthusiastically participating. We have a few friends who have made a life-long commitment to cycling and they've been participating in events such as this for more than 40 years. I do admire their dedication! I really enjoyed the photos and to see you supporting the participants. I hope it was early enough in the day to avoid the extreme heat. :-) (http://www.breathelighter.wordpress.com)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Inger - what a lovely post ... great to see the other cyclists joining in the race and generally adding spirit to the whole - I'm so pleased you volunteered once again. Also sounds as though the event is taking off ... love your photos.

    I saw the Milk Race leg (stage is a better word, I guess?!) one year in Penzance ... they raced down the hill from Newlyn over the humped back bridge at the bottom and on to the Penzance front ... I must say it was daunting to see 'a number of' riders together coming down these tiny Cornish lanes and hitting that hump back bridge - the locals were squealing with 'horror-delight' ... With your knowledge of England - I expect you can visualise what I'm saying!! Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can feel the fun coming off the post... what a great way to socialize, I would love to be at that station and meet all those people. I was happy to know there are potties, since I can go no where that doesn't have easy access. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. How lovely to have such an event and to be able to be involved with friends and neighbours and to meet some of the participants. Great pictures, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like fun... my daughter does GrandFondo's I've only does a 180 km bike trip over 2 days.....

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful way to spend a day. I would never make twelve miles!

    Thanks. Andrew has done very well with his music. All self taught. He's just begun singing. This was a solo night for him. The rest of his band did not come. He is happy with music and works part time for UPS. Thinking about college. We are very proud.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks like a fun event! My husband is an avid cyclist.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Blake & Matt are riding to cure Cystic Fibrosis soon; I'm very proud of them!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should be so proud. I know they, or at least Matt, bike for Juvenile Diabetes too. I love them for it.

      Delete
  10. Phillip Marlowe or the ghost of Humphrey Bogart should have been driving that great vintage car! Has it been a year already? It seems only six months or so to me! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad to hear you're having a good time participating in the bike events. A car following is a good idea in case of mishaps. Time does fly by, and it goes faster the older we get.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I Googled this and see all riders wear a chip for timing, guess this is similar to what our family bikers have, and as they pass a certain point, it clicks to the transponder there, Each chip is registered to each different rider. What a wonderful event, and Inger, so good to see you out there.Lots of ups and downs, but a wide road, hope if there is traffic it is careful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The year did go fast! Great to see you and Mary! Lots of activity that's for sure. Looks like a super day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Since you are wearing jackets, it looks like it was a perfect day for a race.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well you got a lot of good pictures of this event! Great to see your smiling face :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a delightful way to spend the day. I came upon cycling late in life and really wish I had started when I was much younger. Today, it had better be short and level or I'm done. I so admire the serious biker. It is such a fun way to keep fit. Loved all the cool shots.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good morning Inger!
    Tehachapi GranFondo 2016 sounds a great event!
    Love to see your smile enjoying that beautiful day!
    Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That really is amazing! I know you enjoy it and look forward to it each year. Great looking bikes and beautiful scenery! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks like great fun,good for you for taking part.

    ReplyDelete
  20. That IS a terrific car!

    Isn't that wonderful, those who keep on - live in our hearts . . . .

    love & love,
    -g-

    ReplyDelete
  21. That's really cool that some of the cyclists stopped and socialized!

    ReplyDelete
  22. We recently went to colorado for a nieces wedding, and there was a bike race going on - you are right- they ARE tough!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment.. ~~ Inger

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails