Sunday, October 2, 2016

Notes From The Canyon



Every fall nature honors our town, valleys and canyons with a couple of wonderful events: Turkey vultures by the thousands stop to rest here on the way from their breeding grounds in the north to Central and South America, where they will spend the winter. Mary pointed out a flock, or "kettles" as they are called (who comes up with these names for many birds flying together?) soaring above town the other day. Today I saw some flying over my backyard as I was hanging laundry on the line, wishing, as I always do when things happen, that I had my camera with me. 


And then there is the Rabbit Brush, a rather non-descript looking nuisance for most of the year, that bursts into bloom as fall approaches. I live next to a very large field, which this shrub has more or less taken over, with many spilling over on to my property, where I really don't want them. A few would be OK, but it's a lot of work to keep this shrub at bay without major machinery, like a tractor. But still, every October, I marvel at the beauty of the bright yellow flowers and the multitude of bees and butterflies that come around to enjoy the nectar. I read that beekeepers keep the Rabbit Brush honey for their bees' winter provisions because it doesn't taste as good as honey from other plants. To us humans, I mean; I'm sure the bees like it just fine.


Native Americans used Rabbit Brush for medicinal purposes and teas. Here in the canyon, the shrub provides cover for many birds, from little sparrows to California Quail. Rabbits also take cover under the dense bushes and  hide away their young there. They, however, don't like to eat these shrubs named for them.


One more of nature's wonders, this one grown by man, bursts onto the scene in our mountain town each fall: Apples, a crop grown in abundance around here. Tourists and locals alike visit the orchards to pick their own apples, or buy cider, applesauce and other apple goodies. 


And for me, just the fact that fall has arrived is enough. Every July first, I count 100 days, which takes me to October 8, to when I feel I can begin to come to life again. Growing up in Sweden, a land of lakes with a climate on the cool side, I sometimes wonder what I'm doing here, except, of course I love it for the other nine months. So I put up with the constant sunshine from a clear blue sky, with no rain, hardly any clouds and hot temperatures. At least it isn't humid and that's a good thing. I know, I lived in New Jersey for nine years, phew! 


Other than that, I hope to reschedule my cataract surgery for October. I go for the pre-op visit next Friday. Samson is doing well with the dental chews the vet recommended after his teeth cleaning revealed stage 3 gingivitis. Faith chews them too. Since her mouth is really healthy, she gets the thicker chews, the ones Samson can't handle quite yet, and she demolishes them with relish. She's going to the vet tomorrow for a yearly wellness visit, necessary since she is on incontinence medicine. She's doing well, took off after a jack rabbit the other day, but they are just too quick for her. She's having so much fun though and is definitely the happiest dog I have ever lived with. 

Faith and her shadow.

Thanks for stopping by ~ have a great week!







21 comments:

  1. the colors you share from there are so wonderful. and glad the pups are doing well. good luck with the pre-op. i've seen a lot of vulture activity here, too. gathering up...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I look at your photos and again remember how thankful I should be of the green lawns, paddocks and trees we have all round us. But autumn does provide colour in abundance, golden and red leaves, bare branches that are still pretty, frosty mornings with a hint of a fine day ahead. Faith and Samson, great company always.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I count the days until fall as well. Summer, ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a nice photo with the butterfly in it! I've been surprised this year at how many flowers bloom at the end of summer. Enjoy your week sweet friend. Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kettles: I learned something new from you. Franklin and Penelope send a tail wag to Samson and Faith.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Inger! Apple's are one of the best things about fall, I hope you get to enjoy plenty! We have yellow flowers that bloom this time of year as well, and I love having bright color before everything turns drab!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gosh those colors are so glorious! What a joy to live in such a beautiful place. I am glad Samson and Faith are doing well with the dental chews

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoy your photos. I like clicking them to enlarge to get a better look. Lovely!
    Faith is looking in great health!
    Good luck with the eye exam!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The land around you looks wonderful, except for the heat!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Inger - lovely post ... and I can quite see how the rabbit brush provides succour for so much nature. Gorgeous colours. Good luck with the eye test and then the op - I hope they can schedule it in for you ... and isn't it wonderful re Faith and Samson ...

    Apples are wonderful for us too - ours are ripening up and are ready for picking ... well I don't have any - but I'll get to the farm shop soon ... cheers and take care and with thoughts -Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  11. You live in the middle of beauty I can see why you have anchored there. Take care of your health Inger. That is important. For you and the fur kids. HUGS B

    ReplyDelete
  12. I always love it when you show and write about the beauty of the desert.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It sure looks beautiful there this time of year! Faith is such a pretty girl!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Once again you shared beautiful pictures. I love this time of year although I still prefer summer. Even with the hot temperatures. Oh yeah, apple season. One of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That rabbit bush may be invasive but it sure is versatile with many purposes. Hope your pre-op goes well and that this will all be behind you soon. Good thing you caught Samson's gingivitis and are treating it as it can lead to other illnesses if ignored and good that Faith is still enjoying puppy hood. Guess they are puppies till they are 2.

    ReplyDelete
  16. As always, great pictures. I'd like to go out into that landscape, find some place near some water, and camp for a few days. Alas , my camping days are over I think. But I still enjoy seeing your great pictures. Hope all goes well with the eye surgery. My mom had that at 87 and it was not a big thing, so don't worry.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I will tell you again, Inger, that your 'header' is the BEST one online!!
    I like fall and the cooler temperatures as well and I LOVE 'apple season'.....which it is here in Nova Scotia.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It is quaint that the rabbits are considerate enough not to eat the shrubs named after them! :-) I will pray that your eye surgery goes well. I hate when anyone speaks of "minor" surgery. If they are taking a scalpel to my body, then to me it is MAJOR! Have a beautiful month. October is beautiful here, too, and it is my birthday month as well.

    ReplyDelete
  19. somehow I missed this post, I love the rabbit brush, yellow flowers are so happy and make me feel happy as does Faith and her shadow. I should try those green things for Jake, he has always used sticks but I have noticed he doesn't chew them like he used to. I will add that to my shopping list. good luck with your surgery, my second one is tomorrow at noon. will keep you posted.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have talked to so many people who have had the cataract surgery and most everyone says there's not much too it and they can see so much better afterwards. I listen and store it away in my brain since one day I will likely go that route as well... getting older and all. Will be praying yours goes well as I know it will! You live in beautiful surroundings, Inger... I'm so glad you share them with us. Faith's shadow picture is cute!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hello Inger!
    I hope all the best to your cataract surgery in this month!

    I always love your photos and really you live in a wonderful area. The nature around you is just gorgeous!
    Love the Rabbit Brush too!
    As always you write so well and I have much pleasure reading your words!
    Faith looks adorable!
    Have a great week too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment.. ~~ Inger

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails