Tuesday, January 24, 2017

A Cold Winter Morning


I was very tired this morning after a strange night of interrupted sleep, something that rarely happens to me. 


After a day of snow, sleet, and rain it got cold overnight and the last of the snow stuck to the ground. This morning, as the sun rose through the clouds, painted the sky and spread glitter across the snow, I knew I had to take the dogs for a walk.


At the end of our walk, the sun had not yet broken through the clouds, creating a weak light that reminded me of the special Nordic winter light that I grew up with. Of course I hurried into the house and grabbed the camera.


It took but a minute, but when I came back outside the special light was gone, the sun had escaped the clouds and was shining California bright again. I took the last two pictures, went back inside and back to bed. Where I stayed and read and napped until now.

It was a special morning, one where I did more than I thought I wanted to do. And so glad for it.






18 comments:

  1. Jag gillade ditt inlägg, min vän; Håll dig varm!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hej, this was perfect Swedish, my friend!

      Delete
  2. Lovely landscapes.The contraption? with wheels and a tow bar? Is that for hay feeding to any animals? And in bed with a good book, a perfect way to end the morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a cement mixer! Now a garden ornament, perhaps? I really don't know what to do with it.

      Delete
  3. Sometimes the "chore" of taking the dogs out is just what we need. I walked yesterday and got to witness and photograph a beautiful rainbow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent early shot and lovely daytime shots! Sorry about the lousy night. I've been having more than my share of those lately. I hope you have a good one tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I slept like a .... I forget how you say that, I slept very, very well.

      Delete
  5. Hi Inger - lovely photos of your desert canyon ... it must have been glorious .. but I can quite understand though why you went back to bed - tiredness and the cold. Gorgeous ... I'm in thick mist - freezing - but yesterday we had bright sun across the Channel. Cheers and good to see another post ... Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  6. really beautiful even if the special light was gone. anything that is light related only last a few seconds.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful pictures. How often it happens that we can just miss the so fleeting special morning light.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sometimes we must burn the moment in our hearts whose images never fade. Have better sleep tonight, dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's beautiful. I didn't feel well. Last night I slept and slept and slept. Went to bed about ten and woke up at one--in the afternoon!

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that's a marathon sleep for sure.

      Delete
  10. You take such beautiful pictures. I am so glad that you share them!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sometimes mornings are a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful landscape, Inger. I've wondered how the storms have impacted you. I like the idea of a frosty cold morning walk with the dogs, and then getting back into a warm bed with a book! Sounds perfect to me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I retired last April 30 and hubby retired in August. We find our sleep patterns very strange. Like tonight I awoke as 12:30 a.m.! (so did he)...we sleep when we want now! It is WoNDERFUL!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment.. ~~ Inger

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails