Monday, January 16, 2023

An Update

 


I've had a difficult time feeling like myself, like the person I always was. This has affected my ability to think, to feel inspired, to be creative, to keep up my blog, keep up my email correspondence with my closest friends, and everything else I've always enjoyed.

Jeanne suggested this may have something to do with the anesthesia I had for my surgery back in November.  

I finally looked it up, just in general online, and found this, which is not from my usual medically reliable places, like John Hopkins and the Mayo Clinic. I just googled the question. But it makes sense.

“As many as 40 percent of elderly patients (over 65) experience a decline in mental function immediately after surgery.”

Recent studies have found that general anesthesia when used on the elderly, can increase the risk of dementia and the development of neurodegenerative disorders like Parkinson's or Alzheimer's disease.

This explains some of what I've been feeling and I will discuss it with my NP when I see her next week.

But it is in no way as serious as dementia, more like a continuing brain fog where I'm able to function, just at a slower pace. It's weird, but not unpleasant. 

I think the best way to fight this will be to keep doing the things I've always enjoyed, including keeping up with my friends, my blog, my walks and eating well. 

It may just go a bit slower than it did before. 

Here's a foggy picture to go with the story of my foggy brain.

Other than that, the PET scan I had the other week, came back with really good results, the nodule in my lung has become even smaller and there was no sign of cancer or anything else of concern. 

So great news to end this post with.


Before I go, I must mention that we have had a lot of rain. Much needed rain and there's more to come, maybe even some snow. 









LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails