Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Got Milk, Said the Cow ~ Making Butter Said Hubby ~ Meeting Llamas Said Samson ~ And Other News From the Canyon.








Last month, after watching Luis, our neighbor, milk his Guernsey cow, hubby got some milk and instructions for how to make butter. After leaving the milk in the fridge for 24 hours, he separated the cream from the milk and later that evening, while I was asleep, he sat in front of the TV and shook the can of cream for about 45 minutes. And, voila! We had butter! The milk is delicious and has a high content of beta carotene, which makes it look a little yellowish. The butter doesn't look too great in the pictures above, but it had a mellow taste and was fun to try. I'm going for yogurt next.

Two little calves have been born next door. One to a Devon cow, the other to one of the Guernsey cows. They are staying far away in the field, so I haven't been able to get a picture yet. The two llamas are getting used to Samson and me as we walk down the road, past their pasture. They are very alert and don't miss a thing. Can't say that for Samson who didn't notice them until yesterday. Then he got very excited as they came walking across the field to check us out. The llamas looked at him calmly while he pulled on his leash and barked at them. I told him they were neighbors and to be nice. I had to pull him away to walk back home, Samson walking backwards, not wanting to leave these interesting critters.



Cloudy, windy, and cold yesterday when I took this picture. 


When Rachael came to see us on Friday, it was hot, as you can see here. 


We drove up the mountain to visit the monastery gift shop, where I got the heavenly salve the nuns make of lavender oil and many other healing herbs and oils. 


It was so hot, the goats were too lazy to get up and socialize. There are lots of them resting in the shade, I didn't get a good picture of them, but I love the green colors. We haven't had much of that here these past few years. Rachael and I had breakfast for lunch at Denny's and talked. After we got back home, she gave me my summer hair cut. It was great to see her and catch up on her busy life. 


Samson Says:  It's very windy here. Every day, the wind blows, and howls, and blows some more. The wind irritates mommy and disturbs me too. It keeps me cool, but still, enough already. Anyhow, I just wanted to send my love to my Gracie: XOXOXOXO and say this to all my blogger friends:


Have a nice day, everyone!


P. S. Mommy told me Gracie sent me a marriage message on her blog and it will be turned into a Guest Post here real soon. I can't wait to hear from her and for you all to meet her on my blog. Sorry mommy, our blog.







31 comments:

  1. We get many useful things from the cow. See in the first picture cow looks like a hero sitting in the middle of the bushes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Inger love the butter my girls used to use the bottle trick when we milked our Mary the cow oh yes fresh butter is the best. Happy that Rachel comes to visit and you go for trips, nice to have a friend like that.
    Samson oh I can hardly wait:) Hug B

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love to read all your stories of the animals nearby. And the Lavender oil sounds heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am surprised that everything looks green and pretty what with the drought in the west. I am with you on disliking the winds. They are ominous and scary.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I once over beat the cream and when I looked at my mistake and was about to throw it away,when my German girlfriend, a farmers daughter who never wastes anything,took over! She gathered it all together with her hands and washed it with cold running water, shaped it carefully, and presented me with very palatable butter!

    ReplyDelete
  6. how neat to make butter! :) nice you have such great neighbors - 4-legged and 2-legged alike. :)

    glad you had a nice day with rachel.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used to make butter with my students. It was great fun. As a 'city' kid, I never did acquire a taste for 'fresh-from-the-cow' milk.
    Love Samson's pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cows are pretty from a distance, but close up they are quite scary! (or am I just a wimp?)
    I linked your blog in my latest thank you post. I hope you and hubby are ok
    x Hayley-E

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like you still have some green, everything is so brown and dry here now. If you have a food processor I think you can use it for making butter.

    ReplyDelete
  10. As usual, the photo of Samson shows him off as the most handsome feller ever, even if he is angry with the wind. I love the way he had to walk home backwards after spotting the llamas... and I wouldn't mind some of that Lavender oil. I suspect it's just what I need right now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great photos, and you mentioned lavender oil. That's also good as a relaxant or calming oil. We bought some from an aromatherapy place and they said to put some on your wrists or pillows. Hubs was having trouble sleeping. Lavender is also a preventive against moths in clothing. I used to make sachets of it when I grew my own.
    Love that cow photo. Sounds like something brewing with Samson and Gracie. . .

    ReplyDelete
  12. Homemade butter is the absolute best. I must have churned a ton of cream into butter. We had 3 cows, lots of cream and milk.

    Lavender oil is wonderful in so many ways.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Now Inger, of course I love this post with all the animals in it! So nice you had fresh milk and butter.
    Let's see your haircut!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I always envy people who live out that way the long views they have. Here, the forest closes you in everywhere. If you can see 100 yards you are lucky, unless you go up to a mountain top. That looks like a great place for morning walks with the dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think if we lived in a slower world my husband would become a cheese maker. He'd have to try everything and see what new or odd varieties he could create. Me, I'm good with store bought. =)

    ReplyDelete
  16. How satisfying to have made your own butter. You have a patient hubby.
    Cute about Samson and the llamas. Funny he just now noticed them.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Loved your post today. Samson is a hoot. Gracie's guest post is something I look forward to.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Samson and Inger - fun post to read about and catch up on all the news in the Canyon .. so pleased you had a good look at the Llamas, and Daddy shook his butter to milk no doubt with you at his side .. sounds good - I must get out to MooMan's dairy farm next week .. lovely products - fresh and pure ..

    I'm glad our wind has died down .. and summer is slowly coming amongst the heavy showers ...

    Take care all of you .. and looking forward to Gracie's letter to you Samson ... all the best and thinking of you ..cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Inger. What a treat to have 'real' milk and butter!! My grandfather always had this fresh butter and it looked so different.

    Great photos of your walk with Samson. I hope it has warmed up a bit and the wind has dies down somewhat. Have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Homemade butter is so good! ANd how pretty all that green is!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hej!
    Vilka fina bilder! Härligt grönt var det ja.....skönt för er. Här har det varit +27 gr i skuggan o vi var nere vid sjön både igår och idag. Sambon premiärbadade idag och det var inte kallt. Imorgon tar jag mig nog ett dopp då vi får lika varmt.
    Kram M/

    ReplyDelete
  22. Samson, you look so handsome with the wind blowing your fur.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  23. Loved your photos and reading the post. I would have never thought of making my own butter. Samson looks cute.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I always enjoy your pictures! Hi, Samson.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow! Those are amazing pictures. Have to admit you live in a beautiful place. :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Making butter sounds like much fun...I was hoping to see a picture of you with your summer haircut!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your dog is so fuzzy and cute! I bet he thinks the llamas are some new really cool kind of dog! lol

    Have a great weekend and good luck with the yogurt!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Everything looks so green and wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great photos. Can you directly post photos from your I Phone to your blog? I am so not good at this.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Dear Inger, what wonderful photographs. It's like you invited us to go along and journey with you through your week. I remember when I grew up on a farm and mom separated the cream from the Guernsey milk with a "separator machine" that had to be washed and scalded after each use. We had a well and so had to draw the water from it and then put it on the stove to boil and then pour it on the many pieces that made up the appliance/machine. Thanks for bringing back that memory.

    And hello to Samson and the goats and cows and the llamas and all the creatures who make up your life and bring you such contentment and joy. Peace.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment.. ~~ Inger

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails