Sunday, June 21, 2015

Country Life & Simple Pleasures


Hello everyone! Well, here I am on my birthday with these two, Samson above, and Faith below. And I'm having a wonderful day, seriously. I have felt better the last few days than I did for most of last year. I was worried I would think back on these days last year, but I haven't. I'm learning that you do have somewhat of a choice in where your thoughts take you.


I will have to write a post soon about Samson and Faith. It's interesting to observe how she, 20 pounds lighter than he, is trying so hard to become top dog.  But, for now, let me tell you what's been going on here in the canyon this past week or so.

My Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) cap.

I talked about belonging to the CERT team for our canyon in earlier posts. Yesterday, I participated in an evacuation drill where we used a back road as an emergency exit out of the canyon. There's only one road in and if it becomes blocked by fire or an earthquake, we can use this other road, which in part goes over private land. I have also gone to a couple of meetings. I signed up to be on the Board of a new Volunteer organization for our canyon. Last Thursday, I went to that meeting where we finalized some details needed to obtain an official non-profit status. It's been nice to get out, good to meet some new people and, hopefully, be of some help eventually. 


Friday, Rachael and Luz came up to visit. Rachael gave me her book, I'm An Ambassador, My Lessons in Spiritual Growth for my birthday. It promises to be a very special book. They gave me flowers and Rachael gave me this:


From Victoria's Secret: A most fabulous body lotion, called Mango Temptation. Only problem is that Faith goes crazy for it and follows me around trying to find a spot to lick. Of course we also went thrift store shopping and when we came home, Rachael brushed Samson for me. I work on him most every day, see below, but it's not enough. 


A small portion of undercoat from Samson's left shoulder. 

Samson's fur will not grow back if I cut it. His undercoat will, but not the rest. The main issue right now is that he's not shedding and I have to get rid of his undercoat. I wanted Rachael's opinion and she recommended a currie brush. I will buy one tomorrow. Anything to make this easier for me and better for Samson. A neighbor has given me an air conditioner, a freestanding one. It doesn't fit my present windows, but when I get my new ones, it will. And that will help us all so much.  


After Rachael and Luz left, I had time to go to the crochet group for the first time in ages. There I finished the above, which could be a wash cloth, I think. I have some ideas for Christmas presents and I'm so glad Christmas is still so far away. I need to practice, for sure.


Back in April, when these cow pictures were taken, the neighbor's cows started coming over with their new born calves. 


A friend of mine came over with his tractor and removed all these weeds, the cows got locked up better, so this was kind of cute. Except for what they left behind....


Now my neighbors are getting divorced and when he is here, he doesn't seem to care about where his animals wander. So when these two renegades appeared again, I told my neighbor off. I don't know if it will do any good, we'll see. 


I feel so very cared for by family and friends. I have received gifts and very special, and precious phone calls also. It's been a bit overwhelming even. 

And, for myself, I ordered the above book by one of my favorite American authors, Kent Haruf. I have posted about how much I love his books about life in the small plains town of Holt, Colorado before. When I learned he passed away last November, I was devastated. This is his last book; I know I will treasure it. 


Finally, please check out my friend Hayley-Eszti's blog post of June 18, where she talks about being nominated for a British National Diversity Award - Disability. Hayley has M. E. and the way she has approached her illness is amazing. If you could find it in your heart to go to her blog and vote for her, it would be so great. Some of you know her and admire her as much as I do. Those of you who haven't met her yet, will not regret visiting her blog. Just click here:
http://www.hayleyeszti.com/ and please vote for her.  Thank you!







33 comments:

  1. Your going to be busy it sounds like with the groups and such. That is good :O). Glad you had a nice birthday. I cannot keep up with brushing Keeper. He needs much more grooming than he is getting that is for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am so glad you are feeling better and making your days go forward, too. had to laugh at the neighbor's interlopers. been there; done that! mules, horses, cattle, hogs. i don't even count the dogs. :)

    big hugs to faith and samson, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like you had a good day for your birthday, and nice presents. Yeah - lotion and some dogs - LOL! Jill is like that too. Too bad your neighbors are divorcing, I hate to see that happen to anyone. He seems to be taking it hard, if he's not minding the animals. Glad you made it to your crochet get together.

    Happy Birthday again!
    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you tried a "Furminator"? The vet had them in his office and I used one on my cat, really helped with the fur balls.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad you had a good time on your birthday.
    I wish that people took care of their animals. This way they can reduce their stress as well. Animals can be such great companions in hardship as well. I just wish that people realize how loving they can be.
    Take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday, Inger. I am always so glad when I see your posts. It sounds like you are doing all the right things to move on in life. As hard as it is, it is necessary to do. I admire you for what you have done and what you will do. Hold on to your friends, make new ones and create a new normal. You will be OK and we will be your cheer leaders.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I follow Haley-Eszti's blog & I've already voted for her. I think being involved in those organizations will be very helpful for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well this note seems that you are feeling a little bit better - but I know it will always be hard. I am glad you have so much to do! Wow - one busy lady.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice to see you participating in such events.Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. your whole post is good news, except of course the neighbor who doesn't care... so glad you are feeling better and that cert team sounds good for the future and for the now of getting out with people. Samson and Faith look wonderful and hope that curry brush works. I am thankful you have friends and family holding you up..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Inger it is so nice to open my blog up and see a post from you. I have been thinking about you everyday and wondering how you are doing. Oh you are doing well my friend that makes me happy. You are amazing.Pet Faith and Samson for me. Good for you volunteering. I am off to check out our friend. HUGS HUGS B

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy birthday Midsomer Girl! I wish there were a crochet club near me. I used to crochet quite a bit but over the years hardly at all though i have done a bit of repair work not so long ago. So happy Samson is doing welland Faith is looking very fine, too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Birthday. So glad you had good friends to share it with you. You are keeping busy which is super healing. People use to be able to sell Sammy hair to doll companies. Might be worth looking into.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Inger - it's good to read you had a happy day and that Rachael was able to give you some helpful advice re Samson and his coat of lots of white colours. Perhaps they should rename the body cream 'Faith Temptation'?!

    It's good to see you out and about with your organisations and interests ... what a nuisance about the divorcing neighbours ... let's hope things will improve re their animals' care ...

    Look after yourself ... and enjoy your new two legged friends, your special four legged ones and any new pals of both sorts along the way - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Birthday. It sounds like you have a good support network. Have you tried a 'furminator' on your dog? I've head that they are fabulous for getting out the the undercoat.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm going to have to check out the book.
    Glad you have a lot of support! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy birthday! And I am so glad to hear you continue to stay strong and moving ever forward.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy Birthday Inger. It sounds like you are doing well. I am happy for you. I know you will appreciate it much when you get that A/C in the window. And so will Samson! Love the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Inger, It's so good to hear you are getting busy with enjoyable activities. It's wonderful how so many have cared for you during your difficult year and now you are thinking of ways to do the same for others. Both of those books look excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy Birthday to you. : ) I think it great that you are out doing new things and meeting new people. Glad you have much support and caring from your family and friends.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Inger, Happy Birthday! You "sound" so good, I want to cry...happy tears, of course. Faith will end up being top dog...Moon did and she weighs less than Copper. Your participation on the board seems like a good fit as you have always been a woman who knows what she wants! air hugs...:)JP

    ReplyDelete
  22. Inger, you have the best of friends and I'm so glad that you are getting involved in your community and meeting people. Happy Belated Birthday. You are a wise woman and you will be just fine. Sorry about your neighbour being so uncaring and letting his cattle roam.

    have a nice summer.
    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hello and Happy Birthday,
    I am glad you are feeling better and starting to heal. It is a true blessing to have such wonderful friends and family.
    I love the photos of your dogs.
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  24. You could make a snowball-looking fur-man with poor Samson's fur! I sympathize with you about feisty Faith ... I adopted an abandoned dusky-grey one year old cat that I've named Midnight. He is a handful and a half -- I've bought him a zillion toys, and he plays with my shoe boxes!

    It is great that Rachel and Luz visited you and that you are getting involved with that emergency group ... ugh, earthquakes and fires scare me. Sounds like Faith needs a tranquilizer ... or Samson. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Dear Inger, Happy Birthday! I am glad you had a good time on your birthday and so lovely friends, Rachael and Luz, sharing this special day with you. What a lovely friends you have! Flowers and a fabulous body lotions looks a lovely gifts for sure. The book of Rachel sounds very interesting.

    I am so glad you are feeling better, dear Inger. I admire you so much, you are an inspiration to me. I agree too, keeping busy is very important to healing and moving forward. Congratulations for signed up to be a volunteer organization for your place. It looks very important!
    I will check out your friend Hayley-Eszti's blog and I will vote for her.
    Samson and Faith looks adorable as always.
    Lots of hugs and much Love to you, my dear Inger.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I follow you for a while now. I admire your strength and your positive outlook on life! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Samson you look lovely!!! Both Gracie and I agree, you are one beautiful pup! Inger, Happy Belated birthday! I left a happy birthday on your facebook but was not on blogger. I am glad your day was wonderful. It looks like a lot is happening there. You are keeping very busy so I am guessing your cough/cold has cleared up? I have been praying! Take care. Give Samson and Faith hugs for Gracie and me. (((HUGS))) for you too!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm back again too and i was so pressed for time yesterday when I stopped by that I failed to mentioned about how happy I'm am that you also have Samson and Faith with you. I realized after I posted my comment that I had omitted to say that.

    I do admire your strength and faith in the face of all the adversity that has been your journey this past year. I don't know how you could keep going on day after day. Thanks for your visit. I'm always honoured when you stop by and comment.
    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  29. It's wonderful to read that you are feeling better and that Samson and Faith are taking such good care of you. They look even more precious than usual. I love all of the animal pictures.
    So glad you enjoyed your birthday. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  30. You take as many days as you need to make your self ready for the world again. If there is anything at all any one of us can do let us know. I know you have really good friends there but still your blogger friends are here if you need us. Take care of yourself.
    Also treat yourself to something nice, not just for your Birthday but other times too.
    _Munir

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Munir, I have a big treat planned, but since I have a bad tooth, I want to take care of it first. You will see what it is come mid-July.

      Delete
  31. Happy birthday Inger. You're so full off grit and determination which I admire so much. I wish I knew you face to face.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Happy Birthday. You have such great gifts and friends and family. Love all the photos. Keep smiling and reading.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment.. ~~ Inger

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails