Monday, February 27, 2017

Please Keep Sweden Out Of It!






Dear President Trump and Fox News:




Swedes were left scratching their heads for the second time in less than a week as their country continues to enjoy an unlikely turn at the national spotlight. The latest culprit? A man interviewed by Bill O’Reilly on Fox News on Thursday identified as a “Swedish Defense and National Security Advisor” who turns out to be completely unknown to pretty much anybody in the country’s security or defense circles.
Read the rest here: http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2017/02/26/fox_news_interviews_fake_expert_on_sweden_to_warn_about_immigration_threat.html

According to Dagens Nyheter,  Sweden’s largest newspaper, this so-called (yes, I know, the president’s favorite phrase) this so-called expert left Sweden in 1994 and no one has heard of him since. Just like no one heard of the riots that the president said had recently taken place in Sweden.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'm getting really, really tired of this nonsense. For the first time in my 54 years in this country, I'm getting homesick, yes, for Sweden. A country of caring people, a country that has taken in more refugees per capita than any other nation. Of course there are problems, but not of the magnitude this administration and its preferred TV-station, Fox News, are claiming. Overall, Sweden's refugee program is considered to be a success. And the Swedish crime rate is declining.

So, would you please leave Sweden out of your attempts to scare us all. Is it too much to ask for empathy and respect for those who are different from us? Is it too much to ask for protection of the civil rights of all people in this country? Is it too much to ask for affordable health care for all? Is it too much to ask for fair treatment of refugees and immigrants from countries that scare you? 
Home of the Brave!


20 comments:

  1. Hi Inger - I could not agree with you more ... there is no respect, no thought on what is being said and thus implications it will bring ... it is awful ... the law of intended or unintended consequences ... and everyone is mixing up fake with lies ... I don't blame you for being homesick ... with lots of thoughts - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said Inger - it's just crazy the things that are being said at the moment with no thought for the consequences or repercussions. I have a very good friend living in Sweden and more in Denmark - the Scandinavian countries are a beacon of fair play. I don't wonder that you're homesick. Fil

    ReplyDelete
  3. there is indeed fake news, and always has been. I missed this one though. I am so sick of all the hype and media and of course the new president who is a fake president in my book

    ReplyDelete
  4. Every day brings us more lies and more anxiety. I still don't understand how this all happened. Now, your beautiful country is being used for propaganda wrongly. Our heads and hearts are spinning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's so sad that things are as they are and we can no longer believe what is said. I can understand you being homesick for your lovely country. How could this be happening? It's difficult to understand... It's mind spinning alright.
    Hugs from Canada.
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's beyond rediculous. The shooting at the Quebec Mosque was being used as a scare tactic until it became clear that the shooter was a white right wing extremist- then it was no longer 'of use'.

    I am proud of my country (Canada) in taking in the refugees and think that we need to do more. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't note this. I don't understand how this BS continues. It all makes me angry too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maybe he will choose New Zealand next, how could he get it all so wrong? Sensational maybe, but utter rubbish. Keep calm Inger, this is nothing but crazy words, how homesick you must be right now, for a return to your country where peace and truth prevail. Take comfort in your beautiful surrounds, a cloudy sky, morning sunrise, and evening sunsets.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You need to bundle this post up and send it to the tweet master in chief. Can we all go with you to where sanity rules?

    ReplyDelete
  10. More and more, I find myself in the uncomfortable position of being embarrassed by my country's leader. This behavior is appalling. If I had a "home" country to return to, I would be sorely tempted.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mr. (I will not call him president until he acts like one) Trump's motto should be, "My mind is made up. Don't confuse me with facts!!"

    ReplyDelete
  12. I sadly think the Sweden you remember no longer exists just like the country of my childhood seems to have devolved into something that unsettles me immensely. :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep in contact and read the Dagens Nyheter newspaper online, so I know pretty much waht's going on. And the Sweden I left was pretty boring with mostly just Swedes there. I mean, Roland, why do you think I came to the United States to begin with. It was for the people, not to make a better life for myself. The people did not disappoint, now they may, we'll see.

      Delete
  13. I agree with you too, Inger, and I read that article the other day and wondered if you would see it. The president, using the term loosely, was called an 'attention addict' by another article. That one seems quite true. The US has survived bad presidents before, and will again. I salute the courts for pulling the rein in on that stupid immigration policy, and reminding the president that the country is NOT one of his businesses.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is infuriating. A certain newspaper in the UK which should know better has been quoting that guy in order to give Trump some kind of authenticity. Unforgiveable...

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so embarrassed that almost half of our country voted for him. I never knew just how racist, uneducated and hateful so many people are here..... very discouraging....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that I live in a rural community, I live among those people. Those I know are for the most part good people, but they are trying so hard to normalize the bad behavior and bad decisions made by the president and the administration, and administration which is definitely racist, hateful, and ignorant.
      So how you square that, I don't know but I plan to be vigilant and see how it goes.

      Delete
  16. Ignorance is no excuse for telling a lie.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm so tired of all the lies. George W. Bush even looks good to me now.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  18. I thought of you when this came out!! This President is NOT a representation of ALL the people of our GREAT country! This too shall pass!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment.. ~~ Inger

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails