Monday, July 12, 2021

I Treat Myself -- And Jeanne Goes To Death Valley

 
I'm working on creating a calm, peaceful, and happy old age for myself. I have a strong sense that I no longer want to own anything. So I'm selling the Jeep; hoping to sell the house, while staying in it for awhile; leasing a new car instead of buying; and more along that general path. 

In the picture below, the house looks smaller and the car looks bigger. I promise I didn't get a car almost as big as my house. 



As you may know, a global shortage of computer chips has slowed auto production, resulting in fewer cars available for sale. And, of course, higher prices for the few, and I mean few, that sit on car dealers' lots. 

Not a good time to need a new car, but Joyce wants to buy the Jeep and I want to sell it to her. So on Friday, Joyce and I went to the Lancaster Auto Mall, where we began at the Subaru dealer. They had eight new cars, Foresters, a couple of Crosstreks. I didn't fit in the latter, but was interested in learning more about the Forester.

Unfortunately, the salespeople were not very helpful, so we decided to leave, get some coffee, and then go and see the Jamaican guy at Honda. His name is Clive and I've been talking to him on the phone for months now. 


He was just as nice and helpful as I expected him to be. Researching cars within my price range, I found the Honda CRV to be the best car, so I was hoping they would have some.

Well, they had one, just one, and it was a top of the line car and a lot over the amount I had budgeted. I could still afford it, and thought why not treat myself. I've been driving the Jeep for over ten years, and while it's great for around here, I don't like it on the freeways and will not take it on trips. 

Of course the color of the only car they had was this red. I didn't want a red car, but this was the only one. It's a soft metallic red and I like it better already. 

It has the necessary All Wheel Drive (in case it will ever snow or rain here again), it's a hybrid, so better for the environment, the electric charges when you step on the brake. 

It has all the bells and whistles you could possibly want. Most of them I can live without, but how cool that as long as you have your keys on you, you can just walk away, and the car will magically lock itself. Then you only have to touch the handle to open it. 

I don't need or want all the stuff I have to pay extra for, but some of it can be fun to play with, I'm sure. 

I have a lot to learn.

Best for me: I'm very comfortable sitting in it and driving it. It fits me perfectly. 

And it's such a joy to drive. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jeanne and Jon went to Death Valley, where it is HOT, VERY HOT. 

It was 110 in Lancaster, but she sent this picture from Death Valley:


Jeanne and Jon like to do these fun and a bit out of the way things. I hope it wasn't too crowded in Death Valley, I hope they weren't too HOT. Even though they were hoping for really HOT. I can't wait to hear all about it.

The temp in the picture is not verified as correct. I believe the temperature Friday hit 130 F. That converts to 54.4 Celsius. Growing up with Celsius, that makes it real for me in a whole different way. 


















LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails