Friday, August 28, 2009

My Container Garden

This year, I planted a small container garden for the first time since I moved to the ranch. I wasn't at all sure it would work in this hot and dry place. Some of it didn't -- but some plants did really well. And I got an unexpected joy from taking care of the plants. I hadn't gardened for a while and had forgotten how rewarding it can be. To be on the safe side, I selected easy to grow flowers: Marigolds in buckets around the fenced in area.
I planted these petunias in hanging baskets around the fence.
And these larger ones grew in a pot on the ground. And they flourished throughout this long, hot and very dry summer.
The pepper plant that was supposed to be a chili pepper, but turned out to be some other kind, but good nevertheless, also did really well. And it's in its second flowering now. Can you see the small white flowers? I hope the peppers will grow big before the freezing temps arrive.
None of the plants I tried to grow from seeds did anything much. The tomato plants grew to great hights, but produced the smallest Big Boy tomatoes ever. And to make matters worse - got worms. The other day I decided to beat the worms to the harvest and picked the small green tomatoes. I had Fried Green Tomatoes on my mind, but suspected that would involve some kind of deep-fry with a coating of breadcrumbs. Not really for me -- so I added them to the olive oil after I finished sauteeing a salmon filet, turned up the heat and burnt them a little. After I drained them on a paper towel, they were crisp and really good. So now I know that even a failed harvest can produce a good dinner.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails