Monday, May 27, 2013

A Random Act of Kindness



Compassion is a kind of alchemy to restore the soul.


Please click this button in my sidebar to learn more about the blogfest.

Today, I'm joining the Random Acts of Kindness blogfest, sponsored by Wayman Publishing.

This is my story:

It was September 2010, when after a difficult summer recovering from a shattered humerus bone, the uppermost bone in my left arm, I was stopped at a stop sign by the new Love's Truck Stop on my way to our small town. As I began to drive again, I noticed a huge green truck coming toward me in the opposite lane and a large SUV beginning to drive next to me off road in the dirt. 

I got a bad feeling and was going to honk my horn, but had time only to think, not react. The man in the SUV turned his steering wheel in my direction and drove into the right front fender of my Chevy Trailblazer, causing it to lose touch with the ground and travel on two wheels toward the green big rig that was next to me now in the on-coming lane. I felt my seatbelt tighten, then somehow my car landed back down on all fours and went off the road into the gravel. A large rock flew up and shattered my windshield. I screamed.

My left window was open. As I stopped screaming, I felt a hand on my arm. A young man stood there, holding on to my arm. He said, "my name is Matthew and I will help you, just breathe." While the idiot who hit me was fluttering around saying he was sorry, Matthew called 911 and in a few minutes there was a huge response of firetrucks, an ambulance, police, and sheriffs. I almost thought I had died, but no, I learned that in a small town you get a strong and fast response. They kept asking me if I was injured, if I had a bad heart, and so on. Matthew insisted I had to go to the hospital to be checked. I sent away the ambulance after he offered to take me. 

Matthew and his wife, Heather, helped me to their car. On that particular day, the emergency room in our small town hospital was very busy. I called my husband who was working in Los Angeles, normally a two-hour trip, but since he had to go to our L. A. house and pick up our dog, it would take him at least three to get up to our mountain town and to me.

I learned that Heather and Matthew lived several hours away and were on their way home from a trip to Seattle. I could  only imagine how tired they were. I tried to tell them to leave, that my husband was coming, that I would be OK. They both refused. 

I can still feel Matthew's hand on my arm, calming me down, helping me to think and function again. They were Christians they said, born again, and I felt their spirit. They were also just plain kind and caring souls.

My neck and back were injured and I had to stop physical therapy for my broken arm, which left me with little range of motion in my left arm. Since my right arm is pretty much useless too, this became the only lasting problem from the crash. My Trailblazer was totaled, but fortunately the man who hit me had excellent car insurance so everything was covered. 

I will never forget this random act of kindness, this kind and thoughtful gift from Matthew and Heather when I was alone, hurt, confused, and scared. 



Memorial Day ~ Thank You







30 comments:

  1. Wow! I am so glad he was there to help you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this brought tears to my eyes. God bless them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This story reaffirms my faith in the good still in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember your wreck and I'm glad for your particular random act.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful couple to help you so much that day! There is still good in the world and God sent them to be your angels during your time of need. I'm so glad that you were ok and have a comforting story to tell. Have a Happy Memorial Day! ~Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jesus sent you Matthew and Heather, and I hope their lives are joyful today. Did you stay in touch with them, or could you find them, to share this blog post with them?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry for your troubles, but what a beautiful and inspiring story about 2 people being kind and doing the right thing.

    I joined a pay it forward thing on facebook awhile back and am in the process of fulfilling that.
    Still road tripping through a-z

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad that they helped you. How wonderful that they took--what must have been a terrifying moment--and made it into a sweet memory. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Inger - that sounds terrible and horrifying .. and I'm surprised your injuries weren't worse.

    Mark and Heather sound wonderful people and so kind to be around with you ...

    The injuries are a nuisance to continue with .. but you are alive, the costs were covered thank goodness ..

    and as you say Memorial Day holds worse for so many .. bless all who Serve ... with thoughts Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank the fates for good people who are sincere. You must have guardians watching over you, Inger.

    BTW - What the heck was that guy doing driving on your right side off the road?? Sheesh.

    You're a survivor of the best kind.

    ReplyDelete
  11. totally awesome story and God bless Matthew and his wife.. a truly wonderful random act of kindness and an inspiration to pay attention and pay it forward.
    i have had two memorial random acts, one is to long to post, when my Suv rolled 3 times. the other i left my son's house 6 years ago with tears flowing, driving across that skyway bridge. i came to the toll and stopped to pay the toll. the lady said the woman in the car in front of you paid your toll and said to tell you have a nice day... my tears dryed up and i smiled on the way home. it was only a dollar toll but the kindness was the big thing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This warmed my heart. God is pretty awesome, isn't He, to send such kind people to care for you?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you very much for dropping by to read my interview with Mad Snapper...what an inspiring story you have today
    Hugs Madi

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good, good people those two:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, glad you survived! I'm also glad I got rid of our Trailblazer! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good people there--just when your needed them the most!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a wonderful act of kindness, Inger, that you received from a total stranger. We don't hear about these 'acts' enough....I guess they aren't as news-worthy.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am so glad he was there for you and went the extra mile. I'm also thankful you weren't injured any worse, because it sounds like a terrible crash.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a wonderful scary but feel good story and thank you for letting us meet Matthew and his wife also. What special people who went way beyond what was necessary.
    I hope you stayed in touch.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a nice story -- Good Samaritans!

    I also enjoyed your post on the Vasquez Rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Inger, I found myself holding my breath reading your story--Wow! Like you I'm always grateful when someone is there at that moment when I need them the most, and I'm glad that "Matthew" was there to comfort you at a time when you needed someone!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yikes! What a terrible accident. So glad for good people like Matthew, who truly make the world a better place.

    ReplyDelete
  23. God bless Matthew and Heather. I'm so glad such good people were there for you, Inger.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  24. I hope you are all better now. God bless the couple who helped you.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Dear Inger, this story created so many feelings within me: fear for you and some anger at the driver who made the mistakes; relief that Matthew and Heather insisted on helping you, staying with you, and being sure that you were looked after; and awe at how the Holy Oneness of All Creation--of which you and Matthew and Heather and your husband and the dogs with whom you live and the cats with whom I live and myself--meet at the most auspicious times. Our lives touch and all we can say is "Thank you, Oneness, for this blessing. Alleluia. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hello Inger! What a beautiful story and wonderful people who helped you! It does a heart good to know that yes, there are still good people in this world! And there are!! What a horrible scare that accident must have been... so glad you are okay!

    ReplyDelete
  27. A very moving story. It's good to know there are kind people still in this world.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Totally had tears in my eyes by the end. Despite the negative the media touts, there really ARE gracious people out there and that gives me hope. Your story reminded me of something I nearly forgot...when I was involved in a car accident, before cell phones, I needed to get a hold of my husband. We recently received our amateur radio operator's license and I used the HAM radio to contact someone...anyone. The man running the repeater station heard my call, and while I explained things to him, he called my husband's work and relayed the info. He was there just after they carted me to the hospital. That man was definitely as gracious as your Matthew!

    Jamie Dement (LadyJai)
    http://writebackwards.we3dements.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi Inger,What a heart felt post. It sounds like this couple were your angels that day.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment.. ~~ Inger

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails