Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Notes From The Canyon


I love that the very big and tough guys in the National Football League (American football to my European friends) wear pink somewhere on their uniforms during the month of October. This to promote breast cancer awareness. I think that's pretty cool and all I have to add: If you are supposed to have a mammogram, please don't get too busy and forget. Just have it done when it's due. I did and it saved my life ~ 15 years now.


Right now my husband is doing OK and life is much more normal. He drives himself to our town: To Home Depot for something for his garden, or to the grocery store, where he has many friends among the staff. Yesterday I found him outside, pruning his container plants. The little greenhouse he put up (in the back here) has a heater in it and the plants are thriving, even blooming and bearing new fruits.



Faith likes to watch her daddy work. She is growing, but I am not sure she will be a big dog, we'll see. She has a lovely temperament and is a quick learner, at least when she wants to be. It's amazing how deaf she can get when you call her to come to you....



Since my husband's situation is so uncertain and I don't deal well with that, I feel the stress of his illness more now than I did when things were really bad this summer. Then I became strong, now my brain is pretty much fogged in and I have a difficult time with just about everything.

But I'm working on taking care of me: This past week, I have seen both a foot doctor for my diabetic feet and an eye doctor. Both of them in our town. My feet are not as bad as I thought and I learned that Medicare pays for the doctor to cut my toenails every nine weeks. That will be a great help. People with diabetes should neither soak their feet (I do) nor have pedicures (I don't). I also saw the eye doctor and my retinas, where problems can cause blindness, are fine. Comforting to know. 


I still go to the knitting group once a week or every other week, depending on schedules. I am becoming very fond of the women and I enjoy learning to crochet again.  I also went to the movies and saw Gone Girl, about which I felt exactly the same as I felt about that very popular book. A page turner that left me cold. The film was very well made, very well acted, and left me cold. What can I say? I guess psychopaths are not for me. At least I went, and that's a good thing. 


Samson is fine, he's such a very good dog, in need of a lot of brushing. If I do nothing else, that's something I really need to work on in the next few days. Someone said in a comment that it's great for a dog to be raised by another dog, the way Samson is raising Faith. I smiled when I read that since Samson himself was raised by our German shepherd dog, Angel. 



She was old when he arrived, but she took him on and raised him, taught him everything he knows. And did such a wonderful job. ~ Look at his little face, wasn't he adorable? He loved her so and she him. 

When I see a picture like this, I know life is good, I know there are rough spots, I know we grow from them, and I know nothing stays the same forever. Angel is gone now, but Samson is sharing all he learned from her with Faith. 








LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails