Thursday, October 23, 2014

Random Thoughts From The Garden


The nights are getting cold here in the desert mountains with temperatures around freezing in the early morning hours. The days are still warm with never ending sunshine, or so it seems. 


Spent some time in the garden, which has, for the most part, gone to weed and seed. This is dill gone wild, a favorite herb in Swedish cooking. Put some in your pot when you boil potatoes, it adds a nice flavor.


Bees are everywhere in the garden. The bear got our neighbor's honey last week, the same night it got our trash, yet again. Our neighbor is busy with other things, so he put his bee hives on his roof. I don't know if all these bees are coming over from their penthouse next door. I can only imagine how busy they must be, replacing all that lost honey.

   

My friend Jane sent an email from Ireland where she's vacationing. She said it rains and rains. I will say back: Enjoy it while you can, back home in Southern California the sun is shining with a vengeance. After reading Middlemarch, I'm using colons now. It was interesting to see how often George Eliot used them in the book. I really liked it.


About books: I'm reading Roland Yeoman's book, Hibbs, The Cub With No Clue, about a sweet little bear cub. Without a clue. I'm reading it slowly on my Kindle and I love it. I am also reading This Side of Paradise which of course takes place in Princeton, where I lived from 1963 to 1972. It's fun to see familiar street names: Prospect, Nassau, and the Lawrenceville Road; the names of the clubs and campus buildings. It brings back memories, good and bad both. 


There are still some hardy plants in our garden. This is the first cabbage that decided to curl over and look like a cabbage, well, more or less like a cabbage anyway. 


I like the colors in the garden right now, like fall and summer both. Next Wednesday we have to get up super-early to be at the UCLA Medical Center at 6:45 a.m. for my husband to have an MRI at 7:00. Then we have to wait until 2:15 p.m. to see the oncologist. I guess we will find out the results of the MRI then, but I'm not sure. It will be a long wait, nerves on edge. My husband is pretty happy now and feeling OK, and I so want it to last. 




I hope you enjoyed this little tour of our garden. It is still producing cabbage, sugar peas (lot's of those, see upper corner), a special kind of lettuce, greens, okra, and broccoli leaves, which we put in our salads. We planted our seeds in early June, and it was way too late for the broccoli to mature. We have little buds that we'll eat soon. Frost is on the way.....

We will still have tomatoes and all kinds of peppers in our little green house with heater and all. And the mint is coming back, I think I can dry some more now. For tea this winter.









LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails