Monday, August 29, 2022

The Devil We Know

 loses his ability to scare us. 




And that's what has happened to me as I have once again been diagnosed with breast cancer, 23 years after my first encounter with it. 

I will have my surgery at Adventist Health hospital in Bakersfield. 

I was there the other day, it's a lovely place as far as hospitals go. The Adventists believe in God's healing powers and greet you with a large sign to that effect in their lobby. 

I spent four hours there, I met with my surgeon, with nurses, lab techs, office personnel and every single one of those I met was kind and focused on helping me. As it should be in a hospital setting, but this went a bit beyond what I've experienced at other hospitals. 

And I never had to wait!

I met a nurse, a nice middle-aged English woman, who will be my contact, answer any questions I may have, and so on.  

I also received a binder with everything you'd ever want to know about breast cancer and then some. 

And it included my own pathology report. 

I also got a booklet, providing information on how to interpret a  pathology report. This booklet has been very helpful. 

As far as I can tell, my report looks pretty good. The cancer is not large, it's slow growing, and will respond to hormone treatments. There was one important test that had not yet been returned and posted in the report. 

Since I already had cancer in the same breast and received radiation therapy at that time, that treatment is no longer an option. 

So I will have a mastectomy, something that sounds awful, but I find I don't really mind. This breast has become my adversary by now, I would never trust it to behave again. 

And, as an aside, being a teenager in the 1950s, in the days of Marilyn Monroe, Jane Mansfield and big breasts, I so wished for some, but, alas, that was not to be. 

And who is grateful now? Me!

It will be awhile before the surgery takes place. I have another appointment with the surgeon in late September, so I imagine soon after that. 

Before that, I will have more tests, an MRI and a pet scan. The MRI, maybe both tests, are to learn if the cancer has spread. Normally done via a sentinel lymph node, but they took all of mine on that side last time. 

So I wanted to let you know. I'm looking forward to your loving support. You are such good and caring friends. 

I will approach this with a joyful attitude. I have known this devil before, so I'm no longer afraid. 






Credit for: The Devil We Know in my header goes to Madsnapper Sandra. Thank you. 

Credit for: The magnificent rose goes to Irma, Joyce's mom, who tended to it as it grew so large and gorgeous in her garden.







LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails