Monday, October 8, 2018

Notes To Myself ~ September 2018


Since I don't keep a journal now, I want to try something new here. A summary of each  month:

 

On the first of the month, I drove through town on my way to  the annual Go Native event, which took place in one of our parks. Local Native Americans gathered to sell their crafts, to teach us how to make things out of reeds and grasses, and so on. Bernice from CERT and crochet was there. I bought a present for Joyce's birthday, and had a long conversation with the woman who sold me the gift. She told me she had lost her husband 12 months ago. She was so devastated. Of course, I couldn't tell her it will get better with time. I didn't say anything about my loss, I just listened and was glad we somehow connected.  


The GranFondo took place on the 15th, with 1200 bicycle riders taking on several different routes, the length of which went from 18 to 100 miles. Mary, Joyce and I joined a couple from CERT up at the windmills. 



An event photographer came to take pictures. I took his. Then I asked if he minded me putting his backside on my blog. He said NO, so here it is.


Here's Joyce waiting for the first cyclists to arrive. We gave out water, cut oranges, cookies and nut bars. I took on the task of adding electrolytes to the water of those who desired it.




It was over very fast because we only had the best riders, those signed up for the 100 and 82 mile runs. I was a little disappointed. It's more of a folk fest when you help with the less experienced cyclists. And since we were the first stop, many riders just flew by. There's a local guy who wins every year. He's so fast, I've never been able to capture him with my camera. 


After we helped pack up, Mary and I drove over to the second rest stop where we visited with our friends from CERT for a while. It was a very good morning.


Madsnapper figured out why there are so many birthdays at the end of September. Oh, well, I guess you can figure it out too. Errol's birthday was the the 25th, he would have been 72. I didn't have a sad day, but now that I write about it, I feel the sadness. I will never see him get old. A weird thought, perhaps? Other birthdays: My niece, her brother; my friend Fran, or fishducky, as she's known on the blogs; Rosemary, my friend from UCLA; and here is Joyce, my neighbor and friend, with her big cakes, she got two kinds.


Her parents and her daughter Stephanie and her boyfriend were there. We had such a nice time. I'm so fond of her family, her mom is a few years older than me, her dad is in his 90s and going strong. 


I spent a lot of time here in September. I read somewhere that it costs over $23,000 to keep a dog for a normal life span. I'm assuming that's for a relatively healthy dog who only gets ill when old. All of my previous ones were like that. Samson was two when he first got ill. Phew.... At least the vet is wonderful, the absolutely best ever, and the hospital gives a 10% discount to seniors, which helps.

I'm posting the next picture for my own records. No need for you to look at it.


Samson injured himself, that has now healed. This is not from his injury, it's from his illness. Or so the vet thinks. I have no idea what's going on. And this is after I cleaned him up a bit. Before that he looked like Carrie from that scary movie. He's been on increased Prednisone and is much better, but still not OK. He went to the vet once in September.


Faith went twice for vaccinations and a wellness visit. First time she got in the Jeep, second time, no way. I had to call Joyce to come and help. Faith is very good at the vet, first time she fell in love with a gorgeous golden long-haired German shepherd. This last his time she had an ear infection and had to have her right ear deep-cleaned. No problems at all. So it's the drive that makes her so upset. It's 20 miles one way and she displays such unbelievable misery, it really hurts me. Faith likes to be in control and in the Jeep she's clearly not. The vet said, "she just wants to drive." So true.  

Sorry about this long post, I'm getting to the end now. I see both my PCP and my diabetes people (not the doctor, so much, but the nurse educator) every three months. Before my visits I have comprehensive blood tests done, one for each doctor. This month I also saw the PA for my dermatologist, a nice guy named Jim, who checks me out from top to toe, literally. And, finally, I had a heart stress test. Will find out about that one tomorrow. As far as the rest went, I was fine. 

The weather was still hot and dry for the entire month, but the nights cooled off significantly. And we began our early morning walks. In bad shape all of us, maybe not Faith, but she needs to lose 3 -4 pounds. 


It was a good month, just a bit too busy for me. 






LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails