Monday, July 11, 2022

Conversations With Faith ~ Bathtime

 Faith has been suffering something terrible from the heatwave we had a week or two ago. 

Itching, itching and scratching, leaving big fur balls all over the house. 

The weather has been lovely and she is getting better. 

I haven't been home much. And these days I get so tired after a trip to town. Even on the next day. It now takes a day for me to recover. But I needed to take care of my best little friend and try to help her. 


So I finally managed to give her a bath with an itch-reducing shampoo. 


Faith: Let me out of here, I don't trust you no more. 

Faith does not like to get wet. Some Labrador mix you are, I tell her. 

Faith: What's my breed got to do with anything?

Me: Labrador retrievers fetch birds that fall into the water after being shot by the dog's master.

Faith: There's something wrong with that argument.

Me: What?

Faith: I don't see any guns. I don't see any birds. I certainly don't see any masters. And the only water I see came out of that bucket you just poured over me.

Me: Sorry.

Faith: That's all you have to say?

Me: No, I did give you a bath to try to help you get rid of that horrible itch you've been suffering from for the past week. 

Faith: So you did it to help me?

Me: Of course I did it to help you. 

Faith: Well, you sure took your time, I've been itching forever. And I've got news for you, it hasn't helped much. 

Me: So what should we do?

Faith: Maybe there's a pill, a very good tasting pill I could take. I think you should call that nice Dr. Vet who came to see me special. 

Me: OK, I will try to figure something out. Meanwhile, I will wipe you down with the wipes and spray a little itch spray on you. Would that be agreeable?

Faith: Yes, mommy, that sounds like a plan. 


A wet, miserable and annoyed Faith. 


Then on Friday, I started her on Benadryl and that has helped a lot. 

But we're in for another heatwave with temps in the high 80s to mid-90s. For us in the canyon, mid-90s often goes to 100 F. 

Summertime and the living is easy, as the song goes. 

I made a decision to not complain this summer, so I will try to stick to it. 

I may post about how I cope. 

But I had never expected Faith to suffer so. This is the first summer she's had any issues with the heat. 

She's a senior dog now, maybe that has something to do with it. Even though her general health is excellent. 





LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails