Sunday, July 31, 2022

Sunday Morning Reflections ~ Drought

 


I've been thinking about this drought, about all the animals that have disappeared. Today, I saw a single California quail in my front yard. In years past, this time of the year, there would be coveys of quail with their youngsters, anywhere from 25 to 50 birds. Today, there was one, bravely pecking away in my yard. 


D. H. Lawrence famously said: "I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself."

I believe he was right, but I cannot help feeling so terribly sorry for them all. 

And for a future when I no longer will be alive, a future that will be this, this drought, and so much more, so much worse. 

As you may have realized from my Memories posts, I've had a tendency to up and leave when a place no longer works for me. 



To fly away like this hawk. It has never hurt me to do this. When I came up against the great Pacific Ocean and could go no further, I found that I was happy and didn't want to. 

I'm still happy with what is inside of my soul and my mind. And I can deal with this, with living here. I have no choice, really, so I must.

But what I have been wondering lately is this: If I were, say 60 years old, alone, but with a dog, would I leave?

Yes, I would. 

I would find some rainy place, with mountains and lakes. 

And I would leave...









LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails