Saturday, November 5, 2011

A Soldier Update



It looked like Soldier lost his spirit by Thursday evening. He kept looking at me: Why he can't I get up, go for a walk, poo properly, pee properly (sorry, but he ended up sitting in his own, you know what...) it was really awful. The vet appointment was for Friday and I had almost given up hope, so I cried and cried..... 


I'm sleeping in the guest bedroom with him since he has to be separated from Samson and I don't want him to be alone. Yesterday morning Soldier woke me up. He was standing up, he was wagging his tail, he wanted to go outside, and once there, he lifted his leg to pee. A miracle, indeed.


We took him to the vet and walked him in front of the doctor on the grass outside. When the vet tried to examine him, Soldier tried to bite him. Soldier just does not like men, except for his Daddy. Based on what the vet saw, Soldier has a slipped disk. Surgery, at $6,000 and up is out of the question for us. And it may or may not be successful. So we decided on the other option: treating him with medicines. 


Since we were in town, we stopped by the grocery store. I made the mistake of staying in the Jeep with Soldier, letting my husband loose inside the store. That, plus the fact that our town was under snowstorm warning, which makes everyone come out to stock up, a simple picking up some French bread turned into a lengthy visit. Soldier sat on his bad right leg and when we came home, he couldn't stand up. You can see in both pictures how his leg gets folded underneath him. 




This morning, he was able to get up and go outside to pee. Had some problems with that right leg slipping underneath him and not being able to stand up. It's sickening the way it looks when that happens. I saw the paw of his right hind leg turned completely backwards once. 


Now he's on: anti-inflammatory medicine, pain pills as needed, and muscle relaxants. Then I have sedatives for vet visits. I know I don't have to ask you to send good thoughts for Soldier. And Terry, I will send you my address. Thank you so much for offering to send the harness. I know it will help a lot. It is so amazing to me to have met so many good people and made such good friends here. Thanks again.

22 comments:

  1. oh, good luck, dear soldier... and inger...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the update, Inger. I know all of you are going through a rough time right now. Hope husband didn't buy out the entire store before the snow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor Soldier, I hope the anti inflammatory drugs help him a lot. Sending my best for him, wish I could do more.

    XXX

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe an electric blanket might help or a warm water bottle and soft massages. So sorry to hear this news!

    Maybe try one of those healer types- you never know.

    Sending prayers for Soldier!

    I know this is a hard time for you. Take care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had the same ideas as Jacqueline, try if warm suits him and if massages help and maybe look for some alternative methods. You are in my thoughts, Soldier, wishing you well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think Jacqueline's idea of hot water bottles & massages might help. Getting old can be hell, even for animals. He seems to be taking it like the Soldier he really is. My heart goes out to you & your baby!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry to hear about Soldier, Inger. Hoping the meds start to help. Take care. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Inger! I've been thinking so much of you and Soldier and while it's a bit of 'mixed news' we're sending good thoughts and prayers for him. I think you've gotten some good advice about keeping him warm, and I was also going to suggest a sling to help support him when he stands. (How kind of Terry!). Until you get one, you can use a towel, and I've known other people who have used a sweatshirt--Here's a link to a web page that may be of help you...

    http://www.handicappedpets.com/Articles/sling/

    Again know I'm keeping you all in my prayers!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope all you do will help Soldier soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Again, thanks for your comments. I have a heating pad and I will use it. Thanks for your suggestions and for the web site. My husband is using a sling right now, but I'm not strong enough to get Soldier up with it. After resting this morning, he was able to get up on his own again, wobbly, but still up. Soldier is our smallest dog, but the heaviest at around 77 lbs of muscle. His front end is very, very strong, which will help him now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Soldier, hang in there baby and keep getting stronger...the will to carry on requires incredible strength.
    hugs and prayers to you...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope the treatment works.. we do love out puppy friends...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Inger have you tried using a towel if you have to lift him by folding in lengthwise then putting it under him pulling up with both hands on the towel. Hope things go well with the drugs. We're just starting a snow storm tonight. Nan

    ReplyDelete
  14. Poor Soldier! I hope the anti-inflammatory drugs help.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Inger - I can feel for all of you .. you and hubs, Samson and Soldier in particular .. I do hope all eases - with thoughts ... Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  16. Inger I am sorry your olde friend is feeling unwell

    disc, spondylosis ( bridging spurs) and arthritis type changes is common, almost a given , in dogs this size and age.

    bute aspirin pred dex all can help

    ask your vet about adding Cosamine and perhaps Adequan to support joint and soft tissue happiness

    Cosamine for dogs ( glucosamine condroitin) is OTC via mail order ( Smart Pak is my favorite, yes that is the spelling~ or in many health food stores) Adequan is an injectable

    It is a slow process to recover here, time is your friend. You can help with locomotion by using a long towel under the belly as sling support when you walk.

    rest, extra padding on sleeping areas. Animal ( and people) often rest down on the painful areas ( hip / side) as it actually makes it feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Inger...I have had two dogs with serious problems. One was a small Lhasa mix who had a ruptured disc. He weighed around 14 pounds and did have surgery which gave him a great quality of life for many more years ($1400 is a lot different than $6000). One of our other dogs (big like Soldier) had a displaced sacroiliac which you could do nothing about. He could not stand up. Very muscled in the front and weak in the back. We lifted him using a blanket and carried him outside several times a day and when he was in the house he crawled all over the place. Before long, he was able to balance on his back feet outside and the vet gave him a cortisone shot to try and stimulate the muscles. He made a full comeback. Don't give up on your beautiful boy.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are doing everything right and I really think that sling will help you both. People have slipped discs and get better. I have a herniated one I live with. Believe and keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  19. My husband and I both thank you so much for your help in suggesting how to move Soldier around and the meds that may help. I am so grateful to all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hoping Soldier recovers completely.. he deserves the best since he had such a rough start in life... Stay cheerful for him and give him lots of love and attention.

    ReplyDelete
  21. So sorry to hear about Soldier... I hope he will recovers very soon and completely.
    He looks adorable.

    My daughter Sofia has a dog named Brahma and she looks like so much with Soldier.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment.. ~~ Inger

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails