Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Snow Falls On Our Daily Walk



I woke up wondering what to write in my blog today. It was gray and cold outside, but my husband wanted to walk the dogs anyway. So I had the idea that I would document our daily walk. While I complained about the cold, hubby said, "Just put your ear muffins on!" Well, he's from New Orleans, so what does he know about ear muffs?!


On TV they said snow to 3,000 ft (we're at 4,141) so that would be us! Finally!
Dark clouds covered the mountains that were covered with pogo nip yesterday. As we drove to town yesterday, without my camera again, we noticed all the trees in the mountains to the east were covered in pogo nip. It is a spooky looking phenomenon that I wish I could one day see up close. If you are interested, you can read about it here.


After we reach the mailboxes at the main road, we turn around and see this. A bit more actually since I'm already on my way back to the house here.


Soldier is doing great! See that big stretch in his hind legs. Last night he made it up on the dogs' love seat. And today he walked this walk three times around. Angel and I made it twice only. We're the oldest, that's for sure.


Hubby and dogs say, "Come on, we're supposed to walk together." I say, "I MUST take pictures, it takes time!" 


Here the road becomes private and leads up to our house. 


Past the house, it takes us to the barn. It's uphill all the way. Angel and I are panting. Phew, but we make it! 


The area around the barn is all fenced in with these great old gate posts framing it.


Around the barn we go.


It's lovely up here, quiet with nature all around to make you slow down and enjoy the peace.


And then it starts. It hasn't snowed here since the fifth of November 2011. 

Angel gets covered pretty fast. I take her in the house for a moment and dry her off, but she wants to walk more, so off we go again.


Here we are at the end of our driveway, facing the mailboxes over there by those hills you can barely see.


When Angel walks with daddy, she wants me and keeps turning around, looking for me, making sure I'm keeping up. When she walks with me, she can't wait to catch up with daddy and drags me down the road. 


Here we are, turning around and beginning our walk back home.


Back at the barn, something catches Angel's attention.


While the others continue walking, she wants to investigate.


At 13 1/2 years old, she is still the most attentive and observant of the dogs. Always the first to notice things. After walking around twice, Angel and I go home where we try to get dry. Daddy walks the other two around one more time. All in all this is probably a couple of miles, no more than three.


We used to go on long hikes in the mountains around here, but Angel is old and Soldier was so injured that this year we haven't gone. I am beginning to miss it. After everyone's back, hubby makes a nice fire.


And Samson and Angel watch the snow fall.


Samson Says: We hope you enjoyed walking with us this morning. I had lots of fun playing in the snow! 
THE END




29 comments:

  1. Glad you got some snow! And thank you for teaching me two new words today, "pogonip" & of course, "ear muffins". That last picture of Samson is priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Häftigt att ni fått snö. Men det ligger väl inte kvar så länge hos er. Trevlig berättelse om er promenad och fina bilder av er omgivning. Då vet man lite hur du har det runt dig.
    Kram från Sverige

    ReplyDelete
  3. How adorable that your hubby calls them "ear muffins"...hug him for that one!...:)JP

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm loving seeing the snow fall! so great to see the dogs all doing well (and you, too!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was a great walk! Great country!

    I could feel the snow falling. How did you do that?

    Glad to hear Soldier is so much better!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did enjoy that walk! So nice to see your snowfall. I have missed ours just a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The first pictures looked so drab and cold, but once it started to snow, I felt like the mood lightened. Very pretty snowfall!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I learn so much from reading your blog. I had never heard of pogo nip. Love the pics of your walk.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad to see you got some snow that is alway nice when you get so little moisture there. I have never heard of Pogo Nip but have heard of ice fog which they get up in Fairbanks. You can't be cold enough for ice fog there I would think. Those are way in the minus temps. I'm thinking what you saw was just the frost on the trees? I see that a lot here the moisture freezes on them forming ice crystals?
    Nan

    ReplyDelete
  10. The desert has a beauty all its own doesn't it. We got some snow but mostly rain.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful post, Inger. Love seeing Angel and Soldier doing so well. And Samson is a doll -- can't forget Samson!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Samson looks as if he would be a snow lover. My beloved Faulkner used to stick his nose in the snow and make this funny snorting sound. Then he would have a little snow drift on top of his snout. Your photos are lovely.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  13. This was such an adventure to read! As always I love your pictures :)

    Oh Samson is sooo cute!

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOVE your walking route..how gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I had never heard of pogonip and clicked your link. Thanks, Inger. Learned a lot. What a great walk everyone. No snow since Nov.? Wow, that's not good. Glad some finally fell. Angel and Soldier seem to love it.

    Ear muffins seems 'bout right to this LA gal. *chuckles*

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hooray! You finally got some snow!
    I loved the 'ear muffins'.
    I had never heard of pogo nip before... but we've experienced it - we just call it ice fog or the resulting hoar frost.
    Thanks for all of the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I never heard of pogo nip either, although we sure have it! I'll have to slip that word into my conversation now!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have definitely learned something new today!: Pogo nip. Didn't know there were so many variations on what happens to fog when it gets very cold. Excellent pictures -- could really imagine your walk and Soldier, Angel and Samson are just priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you so much for your comments. Yes, we do get ice fog here, not here where we live, but in the mountains above us where it gets cold enough for that to take place. And we can see it from here, the forest on the mountain takes on a completely different color. I would love to see it up close.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you so much for your comments. Yes, we do get ice fog here, not here where we live, but in the mountains above us where it gets cold enough for that to take place. And we can see it from here, the forest on the mountain takes on a completely different color. I would love to see it up close.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you so much for your comments. Yes, we do get ice fog here, not here where we live, but in the mountains above us where it gets cold enough for that to take place. And we can see it from here, the forest on the mountain takes on a completely different color. I would love to see it up close.

    ReplyDelete
  22. There is nothing nicer than sitting by the fire watching snow fall ...one of my favourite things to do...

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful Inger, but boy does it look cold!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Samson .. I sure enjoyed your walk .. and love snow too - but then it turns to ice and I can't visit my mother - so I find it a nuisance .. but I love seeing all your pictures yours Missus took - they be quite kindhearted souls me thinks .. you're as white as the snow too .. Cheers for now .. Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  25. Inger, this was wonderful! I really have a better appreciation of your area now. You are a good story-teller and the photos are perfect!
    The dogs look great and it's good to see the whole family together!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beautiful. That brings back memories of when we were in Walker Basin. :)

    And I learned something new today. I didn't know that nifty looking stuff was called pogonip. I hope I can remember the name for next time.

    ReplyDelete
  27. We got some snow today, too. About as much as you did. It was coming down so hard at one point we could Bearly see across the street. But in the end, it wasn't that much, and our world looked a lot like yours.

    Yeah; a nice snowfall is a great thing. I was inside while it was happening. I didn't complain.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Dear Inger,
    I didn't get out of the house today, so walking with you was a treat! Samson, Soldier, and Angel are filled with so much life. And they clearly are devoted to you and your husband. A wonderful family.

    Peace.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment.. ~~ Inger

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails