Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Snow Falls On Our Daily Walk



I woke up wondering what to write in my blog today. It was gray and cold outside, but my husband wanted to walk the dogs anyway. So I had the idea that I would document our daily walk. While I complained about the cold, hubby said, "Just put your ear muffins on!" Well, he's from New Orleans, so what does he know about ear muffs?!


On TV they said snow to 3,000 ft (we're at 4,141) so that would be us! Finally!
Dark clouds covered the mountains that were covered with pogo nip yesterday. As we drove to town yesterday, without my camera again, we noticed all the trees in the mountains to the east were covered in pogo nip. It is a spooky looking phenomenon that I wish I could one day see up close. If you are interested, you can read about it here.


After we reach the mailboxes at the main road, we turn around and see this. A bit more actually since I'm already on my way back to the house here.


Soldier is doing great! See that big stretch in his hind legs. Last night he made it up on the dogs' love seat. And today he walked this walk three times around. Angel and I made it twice only. We're the oldest, that's for sure.


Hubby and dogs say, "Come on, we're supposed to walk together." I say, "I MUST take pictures, it takes time!" 


Here the road becomes private and leads up to our house. 


Past the house, it takes us to the barn. It's uphill all the way. Angel and I are panting. Phew, but we make it! 


The area around the barn is all fenced in with these great old gate posts framing it.


Around the barn we go.


It's lovely up here, quiet with nature all around to make you slow down and enjoy the peace.


And then it starts. It hasn't snowed here since the fifth of November 2011. 

Angel gets covered pretty fast. I take her in the house for a moment and dry her off, but she wants to walk more, so off we go again.


Here we are at the end of our driveway, facing the mailboxes over there by those hills you can barely see.


When Angel walks with daddy, she wants me and keeps turning around, looking for me, making sure I'm keeping up. When she walks with me, she can't wait to catch up with daddy and drags me down the road. 


Here we are, turning around and beginning our walk back home.


Back at the barn, something catches Angel's attention.


While the others continue walking, she wants to investigate.


At 13 1/2 years old, she is still the most attentive and observant of the dogs. Always the first to notice things. After walking around twice, Angel and I go home where we try to get dry. Daddy walks the other two around one more time. All in all this is probably a couple of miles, no more than three.


We used to go on long hikes in the mountains around here, but Angel is old and Soldier was so injured that this year we haven't gone. I am beginning to miss it. After everyone's back, hubby makes a nice fire.


And Samson and Angel watch the snow fall.


Samson Says: We hope you enjoyed walking with us this morning. I had lots of fun playing in the snow! 
THE END




LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails