Friday, July 12, 2013

An Extraordinary Account of Survival

OK, so I posted this at 7:37 PT this morning and it is not updating in anyone's sidebar where Favorite Blogs are listed. I have tried everything, short of reposting it, so I will see if this update works first.

Something extraordinary is happening in Bloggyland right now and, although I'm late in doing this, I must let you know about it. 

Last year, my blogger friend in Montana, feral woman, and her husband were caught in the horrendous Montana fires, which burned over 300,000 acres. And now, she and her husband are writing an account here: 


of how they, both trained professionals in forestry and fire safety, survived this fire. These are her words:

 This is our factual account of what happened here
on the night of July 3, and early morning of July 4, 2012, 
concerning the Taylor Creek Fire, 
which burned over 65,000 acres; 
this was later added to the Ash Creek Fire Complex, 
for a total of over 300,000 acres burned total in our area.

As you know, I read books all the time, but I have never, ever, read such a harrowing, heart breaking, heart thumping even, account of survival. Feral woman is not only a timber cruising, forest living, feral person, she is also a writer of the highest caliber. She does not hesitate to share her fears, her anger with stupid neighbors who nearly got them killed, her love for their animals, and her love and immense trust in her husband as she describes that one unbelievable night. 

For those of you who live in fire country, this is a must read, as feral woman also gives great advice. And for the rest of you who read my posts, this has been the week I'm referring you to other blogs, please, just one more time, click on the link and read feral woman's story of survival, you will not be sorry. 


Wednesday night on TV, I was happy to learn that a fundraiser held by Kern County Fire in conjunction with our local, out of Bakersfield, NBC affiliate TV station, raised over $55,000 for the families of the 19 fallen fire fighters in Arizona. 


The fire fighters stood across the street from the TV station for just that one day, reaching out to passing cars with a boot in their hands, and people drove up and put cash in the boots. Now Bakersfield is not a wealthy town, so that they were able to raise $55,000 in mostly cash really touched my heart. I imagine fire fighters are doing this in many other towns as well. 


Wednesday, after almost two weeks of 100 plus degrees in the shade ~ here, where there is no shade, the sky turned gray. Thunder rolled around the mountains and about six drops of rain fell. A bit more rain came in the night, and yesterday it drizzled a little. Not much, but a joy nevertheless and a wonderful break for me who is not all that heat tolerant. 









33 comments:

  1. that is a fantastic amount of money they raised..I to am not heat tolerant, or for that matter cold tolerant, i like MEDIUM cold or hot... to bad we can't special order our weather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, I don't think I would have been able to read feral's story if I hadn't known they made it. It gave me the chills to read and terrified me. Unbelievable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read her posts (the whole story) & am now a follower. She wrote so well that it was almost like I was there--but I'm SO glad I wasn't!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh, glad you had even a bit of rain there! hopefully more to come!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Inger this is a beautiful write up about our Feral Woman I am so glad you did this. I was trying to get everyone to read it it is nice that you are spreading the word.
    Your words are awesome I wish I had your way with words you should be a book reviewer or promoter:)
    Thank you for helping to get this story out.
    Take care in that heat Inger. Hug and Love B

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Inger this is a beautiful write up about our Feral Woman I am so glad you did this. I was trying to get everyone to read it it is nice that you are spreading the word.
    Your words are awesome I wish I had your way with words you should be a book reviewer or promoter:)
    Thank you for helping to get this story out.
    Take care in that heat Inger. Hug and Love B

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hoping for more rain for you Inger -- wishing you, your hubby and the pups a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad to hear that you had a little rain...wishing you all a lovely weekend. Thank you so much for your comments on my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great For Bakersfield! They are wealthier in Spirit than many places -

    Inger . . it's sounds like it's time for a Rain Dance.

    Love & Love,
    -g-

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad you shared this, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. xoxox

    love you, you swedish goddess with a troll attitude once in awhile, you...!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for sharing this, Inger.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  13. I too have been reading the accounts of Ferals words.everything you said rings so true .
    Feral is an amazing woman giving an amazing account of what happened.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Will check it out, Inger. I remember you telling us about the fire.

    Hope you get a little heat relief.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the referral to Feral woman's account. I'm going there now. Don't you love it when the sky puts on a big show --- and nothing comes of it. Happening here a lot too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for sharing this amazing story. I wish I could write you a sky full of rain.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Glad that you are having rain. How wonderful that so much money was raised.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Rain has been all around us, but not in my town. There are scattered showers that have been more than showers and have caused flash flooding, but my grass is turning brown.

    What these firefighter do and risk their lives for others and their properties is heroic and words can't express the country's sorrow at this tragedy. I do hope they colllect hundreds of thousands more to help these families. However, nothing can bring these brave men back and we can never show our gratitude enough to all these special people who dedicate their lives to fighting these fires. They are all truly heroes.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, what an amazing account of that fire. Thanks for telling us about it.

    I hope you get some more rain soon. We've had an overabundance of it this year. It beats the awful droughts we've had the past few years, but if it keeps up, we're all gonna rust.

    Happy weekend, Inger!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Puh That seems rather hot Inger....Welcome "home" to the swedish summer + 20 degrees C. That is perfect :-))
    Wish you all the best !! ....and thousand thanks for the nice words on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Inger .. I'll be back to read Feral Woman's story .. it sounds an extraordinary write up .. and I'm sure I'll learn a great deal ..

    We're meant to be having a scorcher this weekend .. and sadly I expect there'll be fires here too ..

    All the best - and hope that rain does come sometime soon - even for a day or two .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Inger - then I forgot the fundraising efforts - so worthwhile - I do feel for all those who have lost their loved ones and for the community as a whole - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a frightening account. We see the news but until you hear from a person who actually goes through the trauma, it is hard to imagine. Those poor animals broke my heart. Thanks for the link to put the tragedy in perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Feral Woman's story is horryfying and uplifting at the same time ...

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am so glad I live in an area where there are no wild fires, floods, earthquakes, tornadoes, or hurricanes (okay, occasionally a hurricane will make it all the way up the coast to us but rarely). Out long winters might not be such a bad trade off.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I could barely wait for each post from Feral woman. Hung on every word, a truly gifted writer. It's always good to bring more heartfelt stories to others who might not be following all of the great blogs out there.

    Also glad to read your words as well.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I've not heard of her blog, so will hop over there to read what I've no doubt is a compelling story. Thanks for the link. I hope you are doing well--I've had problems with my blog all week, and so I hope yours are resolved, and I also hope all is well in your time zone! Take care!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Halloj!
    Hur har du det där borta?? Verklign varmt ni har, vi har haft runt +25 grader vilket är skön sommarvärme för oss.
    Sjön hade +22 grader på 1 meters djup.
    Vi hade det härligt där igår.

    ReplyDelete
  29. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Good Morning Inger! I wanted to thank-you again for sharing the link to 'feralwoman.' I read the entire story last night, and re-read it again this morning. What an amazing story of survival and what amazing people she and her husband are. They stayed calm and focused and kept their wits about them when so many like me would not have. They have my admiration and respect and prayers that they find peace and comfort as all like them who were affected by the fires last year and this year continue to rebuild their lives.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thank you all so much for going over to Feral Woman's blog and read their story. I too pray that they will find peace and comfort and that writing their story helped somewhat with this.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I will definitely read feral woman's account of the fires. Forestry work and the work of fire fighters in the open wilderness fascinates me. I recently read a book about the great fires of 1910 and my perspective has forever changed on what is entailed in being safe in wildfire conditions. How wonderful, too, to hear about fundraising for the families of the Arizona firefighters who so tragically lost their lives. I'll look forward to the other blogging friends you share with us! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  33. I can't imagine what it must have been like, so terrifying. It's amazing that they are now sharing their story and helping others.
    x Hayley-Eszti

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment.. ~~ Inger

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails