Friday, December 10, 2010

A Very Good Day, Indeed!

Yesterday, the dentist successfully completed the root canal, saved the tooth, and saved me a ton of money. Since money is in short supply here right now, this is the best news I could share with you. I'm touched by your concern for both my root canal and my injuries. My shoulder is much better and I'm doing the range of motion exercises at home. I see the chiropractor for the whiplash injury to my back. It will take a while, but I'm now at the point where I can work on getting stronger and getting past all that happened.

I was early for my appointment, so with some time to spare, I stopped by one of the thrift shops in town. With the exception of bookstores and thrift shops, I truly don't like to shop. Since this store also has a ton of books, it's fun for me to look for treasures there. Yesterday, I needed a fairly large Christmas basket for gifts and then I wanted to look for books. 


I found this basket for $3.00 and it came with a bonus: Pine cones. It will work perfectly.

Then on my way to the books, I spotted a huge basket with plastic bags full of soap. Now, I just won those wonderful homemade soaps from Nancy's drawing, but these were very different. Small sample soaps, some from good manufacturers, others from various hotels from the best spas to Motel 6. So, not knowing what the coming year will bring, I figured at least we will be clean, because these soaps will last for a very long time. I bought two bags, for $1.00 each, and got close to 50 little soaps. They will work perfectly as guest soaps and in my kitchen soap dish. 


Then, on to the real treats! I walked over to the books and didn't have the patience for all the paperbacks, stacked out of order and sideways, so I focused on the hardcover books that sold for $1.00 each. The first one that caught my attention was Coming Attractions, by Fannie Flagg. 

 

I thought I had read all her books, but I missed this one. By transporting me back in time to small town America with apple trees in the back yard, daisies in front, and houses surrounded by white picket fences, no one cheers me up like Fannie Flagg. The people in her books are so real, always slightly nuts and so much fun. Of course, I know that the early 1950s were not at all an ideal time in America or the world. But setting that aside, her books are thoroughly enjoyable reads.

The great Frank McCourt wrote his memoirs as a trilogy, covering his childhood in Ireland in the very successful Angela's Ashes, followed by 'TIS, and ending with Teacher Man. After reading the first and last books of the trilogy, I have longed to read the middle one. Being frugal, I was hoping to get it from the library, but without a car for so long, I haven't been there in ages. Imagine how thrilled I was when I spotted a very new and unread looking book on the shelf. Yes, it was the book 'TIS. Sometimes life is good!

So yesterday was a wonderful day, indeed. Hope you all have a great one today. 


After catching up on some other work and chores around here, I plan to spend hours in the coming days, reading all your blogs. I have missed you all.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails