Monday, March 9, 2020

Notes From The Canyon


My first note is a thank you for your comments on my storytelling. The only way to get better is to keep at it and I'm glad you are OK with the process. 

I've loved the English language from the moment I began to study it when I was eleven. But still, Swedish is my first language, my emotional language, my favorite poetry language, even Shakespeare translated to Swedish sounds better to me. Yes, I know, I probably shouldn't have confessed to that one

This is what I have been up to since my last notes:

My washing machine broke a while ago. I've now had both Mark and Glenn declare the machine dead so I will buy a new one soon. Meanwhile, my friend Carol who lives exactly 113 miles from here in Strathmore, a small town in the Central Valley of California, suggested I pack up as much dirty stuff as I could and come to visit and do laundry. 


Sierra Nevada Mountains 

Due to my advanced age (I always wanted to say that) I felt a round-trip would be a bit much, so I stayed the night. Joyce fed the dogs and all went very well; the laundry got done, Carol and I visited and talked; the dogs were OK. 



The Central Valley is the bread basket of America, they say. It's certainly the fruit and nut basket and Carol has the absolutely best Naval oranges in her backyard. I came home with two big bags.

Glenn came by on Friday to help with some electric stuff. As it turned out, I didn't have a problem, I just forgot that even before checking the fuses, I'm supposed to push on that little red button on the outlet. Oh, well, we had a nice visit and he got to diagnose my washing machine and concur with Mark that I need a new one. 


The G6 version of my continuous glucose monitoring system arrived. This is the latest version and the one that eliminates pricking fingers to use a drop of blood to monitor blood sugar levels. It's much easier to insert than the G5 system and I find that I trust it to be correct. I didn't trust the G5 at all, which sort of defeated its purpose. 


The 30th anniversary of my Adult Onset Type 1 Diabetes diagnosis, came and went without fanfare in early February. I have managed it well, I have no complications, but there has never been a single day that I have felt SPONTANEOUS and FREE. Being very sensitive to insulin, I have always had to be on the alert, worried about night time low sugars, checking up to 10 times a day, remembering to bring glucose tablets to fix low sugars and on and on. 

With the G6 system, I'm beginning to feel free again. I don't worry before I go to sleep. I trust that it will beep me and wake me up in time. Trusting the system is for me what's most important. The convenience, and it is very convenient,  is of much less importance. 


One morning last week, I heard a familiar twitter outside my window. I went to look at the old nest and found that my house finches are back and busy cleaning it up. 

Since then the weather has turned cold and the winds have picked up. We may be getting some rain this week, much needed since our normally rainy month of February came and went without a drop. 

But the weather isn't bad here, considering what's going on in so many other places. Thinking of those who live where floods and tornadoes create such devastation. 


Samson will soon look like this again. Right now he's one dirty dog. I tell him that white dogs are not allowed to dig. To no avail, of course.


Faith will be six in April. I look for gray fur, but so far - nothing.

The pictures here are old. I need to get with the computer guy soon. I miss taking pictures and then posting them here.












LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails