Monday, April 1, 2019

The Green, Green Hills Of


What? Kern county? Yes, it happens for a fleeting moment in time and I'm so happy Jeanne, Mary and I took short road trip to enjoy them. 


We drove on country roads, lined by oak trees,


down steep hills, that opened up to beautiful views of


green fields, hills, and oaks with more leaves than those above.


As I post this, I notice a faint hint of orange across the hillsides, a promise of what's to come once the poppies open up. It will be gorgeous and inspire more road trips. I took the picture because of the railroad tracks that curve around the hill, I didn't really notice all that orange. I can only now imagine how incredible the poppies will be. And pretty much unreachable by humans, maybe.... Hope so, anyway. I know I will be turned off by the crowds at the poppy preserve. Jeanne told us a helicopter landed in the midst of it all when she was there! Really! I have been there and people trample, people lie down, people walk on the flowers, and so on, with no respect for nature, just wanting to get the best selfie.......


We saw many beehives in the fields by the road.



On a different road, we found fields covered in wildflowers.


Sturdy yellow fiddlenecks and dainty white flowers.


And no people, just Mary getting her camera out of the car. 


We finished our outing with lunch at the Keene Cafe, in the company of locals, firemen, and our favorite highway patrol officer, a woman who has come to our canyon meetings to talk about road laws and road safety. 


The fire helicopter at the station next door to the cafe. And can you see the orange spread across the hill in the distance?


On the way home, up the last hill before our town. 







LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails