Monday, April 2, 2012

B is for Boats

Theme ~ Swedish Rhapsody

My dad is in the bow, my grandfather and great-uncle at the oars with their families.

Sweden gave me a love for water and boats of all kinds, so it's only natural that B has to stand for boats, ships, ferries, tugboats, sailboats and so on.


It's around 10 p.m. here on a June night and people are still 


out sailing.


A lone sailboat in the middle of the city.


A regatta underway in the waters of central Stockholm. The German Church in Old Town is in the background. 


A cruise ship arrives in Stockholm. This is a so-called party boat that goes from Stockholm through the archipelago to Finland. A beautiful voyage, often dimmed by the enormous amounts of alcohol supposedly consumed by many on these tours.


The currents here in the waters of central Stockholm have tremendous force. The pull of the water is extremely powerful; I doubt you would survive long should you fall in. I remember standing on the bridge in the background and feeling the power, strength, and force of the water. The type of boat with the large net you see to the right was used to fish these waters. Not sure if they still do, but they were something to behold.


This little ferry goes from Old Town to the island of Djurgarden, where the zoo, several museums, gardens, an amusement park and more can be found. 


Built in 1910, the steam boat Norrskaer still brings people from Stockholm to the coastal town of Vaxholm. 


Another picture from a summer's night in Stockholm. The bridge above is always full of cars, but below there's a marina. Sailing came later for me, not until my husband and I got a sail boat and sailed up and down the California coast and to Catalina island. I often wondered about the skill it would take to sail in the Stockholm archipelago with all the underwater hazards. In this picture, the tall tower to the left belongs to Stockholm's City Hall and the three to the right are church spires in Old Town.


29 comments:

  1. Your opening photo and yesterday's speak of an era long gone - thank you for sharing these unique memories Inger.

    What causes such strong currents to flow through Stockholm ... is it built on the mouth of a river?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Inger, your photos stirred the traveling shoes. I so want to visit Sweden again. We were there when the Regatta had just ended. It was sooo exciting. And all those handsome, rugged guys made for great scenery, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how I loved looking at the boat with your Father and relatives. They look so dressed up for boating but men always looked more dressed up then. You have such a love for water and you don't have much near you.... not even mud puddles. But I think I recalled you once mentioning some water you drove to. Yay for the B letter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am SO enjoying the tour of Sweden!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's lovely to see pictures from home :) I love the boats, and I am like you - have a big passion for the sea and boats. I use to be a part of a rowing team, it was great to get out on the sea during our practices. I like the last picture when you see Stadshuset in the distance.
    Have a lovely day my friend!

    Eva

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the photos and the education!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved the pictures ~ thanks for sharing them ~ Ally x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I simply must go there one day -- soon! Thanks again for the lovely tour.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Inger, you are going to make me fall in love with this place! I love the waters and any type of boat; such tranquility and well, peace.
    Thanks so much Inger; grand post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your stories of your family and your area along with the beautiful photos are amazing. Can't wait to see more
    Kathy at Oak Lawn Images

    ReplyDelete
  11. i can only imagine you must miss the waters...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Himla bra skrivet och dokumenterat. Förstår att de som läser din blogg blir intresserade av Sverige. VIlken reklam du gör!!
    Hoppas du mår bra och kram!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I know you love the desert too, but you must miss this a bit. It's lovely, and so different.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Some days I miss drifting down river in a boat.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My uncle loved Sweden when he visited there....I understand why!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sweden is so beautiful. Thanks for the photo-vacation I enjoyed this p.m.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I hope you will share more of Sweden with the A-Z challenge! I am loving it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What great perfectly clear photos, Inger! I love hearing about others lives!...:)JP

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your photos are absolutely beautiful... and not just the ones you posted here - I also love the ones of your family pets on the side. Especially the budgie, for some reason. I dunno... there's just something adorable about those yappy little sweeties.
    Happy A to Z!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I always find water scenes to be delightful. Sometimes frightening when the sea is high — but delightful even then (unless you're about to sink).

    Boats in the desert? Not so likely. But I don't know; maybe you're got two sailboats in a shed.

    Thanks for sharing the Swedish experience.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm enjoying your Swedish posts -- exploring the archipelago sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love old steamboat pictures, especially the gambler types from the 1800's.

    I got a kick out of your family pic. Your dad is chillin' like a villain, while the other men row their backs out. lol Smart guy.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I enjoy learning so much about Sweden. Thank you for choosing your home country as your topic.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  24. You have portrayed such a beautiful country. I love water and boats, particularly in photographs. You have captured the tranquillity and the peace that can be found in challenge, exercise and the wide open spaces.

    ReplyDelete
  25. We've been thinking of going on a cruise of some sort for a while (not one where you sunbathe on deck) and I'm thinking now that Stockholm might be the place for us.

    http://rosalindadam.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/to-z-1950s60s-nostalgia-c.html

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks for your comments and a few comments and answers back, I don't know if you go back, but here they are:
    OSC: Stockholm is built on I think 14 islands, located in part in sweet lake water and in part on salt sea water. I believe that's what causes the strong currents where the water narrows.
    Rosalind: A cruise through the Stockholm archipelago is a stunning adventure. I've gone from London to Stockholm on ships.
    I don't miss the water here. At first I thought I was crazy to move to the desert, but now I love it. I miss Sweden though.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Inger .. wonderful you've got those old photos of your grandfather and great uncle .. amazing - love the boat too ..

    oh yes - I'd love to go up to Finland .. from Sweden sometime ..

    Loving this tour .. cheers Hilar

    ReplyDelete
  28. My visit is on C day. I have enjoyed the pics of the boats. I love sailing and was recalling a few memories as I looked at your pics. beautiful pics.
    http://sidnereading.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love the photos! Great AtoZ post! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment.. ~~ Inger

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails