Tuesday, April 10, 2012

I is for Ice ~ Rink, Hockey, Speed, Fun!

Theme ~ Swedish Rhapsody


Below our house in a Stockholm suburb were large fields where we would ride horses in the summer. The part of the field closest to the road was used for soccer in the summers, but when the weather got cold, they (I have no idea who) would spray it with water and create a large ice-rink for us kids to skate on. There was a small shed with a wood stove to keep us warm and some benches. That's where we changed into our ice skates.  No figure skating took place there. We all skated with hockey skates. We would play, chase each other, work on our speed. Boys chasing girls, jumping up in the snowdrifts that surrounded the ice-rink, and getting a first kiss, there in a snowdrift, perhaps. Personally, I have no recollection........




I became a passionate skater and later became a speed skater. I loved the sport, the speed, the training, everything. 




Older boys would play hockey on the ice-rink and we would practice our hockey moves. You know, those sharp turns and sudden stops where the ice would spray into the air. 




Every winter for years I lived on the ice, looked forward to it, enjoyed it with a passion. My legs are still strong from all that skating and training. A lasting benefit. When we hike, I run out of breath a whole lot faster than my legs get tired.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
We are taking Samson to the vet to be neutered this morning and then we'll run some errands. I may not have much time to visit today, but will do my best. Thanks for sending good thoughts for the boy, as I know you will.

22 comments:

  1. Ja det gjorde man i skolan alltid när man spolat fotbollsplan. Då var det skridsko för hela slanten. Även upp i högstadiet hade vi gympa på is då det fanns ishall...Sedan har vi ju levererat massa bra ishockyspelare till USA och Canada, Salming, Forsberg bara för att nämna de stora...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck Samson, so undignified but necessary.

    I could never ice skate but I used to love roller skating at the local rink.

    ReplyDelete
  3. good luck, samson! you'll be better off for it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ... no personal recollection of first kisses in the snowdrift heh? ... mmm ... :)

    I tried ice skating once but ended up on my back in a few minutes ... I just couldn't get the hang of it ...

    ... I've seen ice hockey on TV and frankly, it looks like quite a violent sport ... those guys seem to be fighting all the time ...

    ... are there womens' ice hockey teams too?

    awwww ... give Samson a comforting "Woof!" from me ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Winters in Sweden sound like winters in much of Canada. Hockey time; skating time. I played hockey, from elementary school aged to University. And the Swedes are always good, internationally, in hockey.

    ReplyDelete
  6. In this part of Canada there isn't much winter skating outdoors. Lots of rinks though as hockey is a big deal in Canucks-crazy Vancouver. I always wanted to be a good skater and especially to make those ice-spraying stops. I'm so jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This reminds me of Alaska as they like hockey way over figure skating. Bob and I skate too but figure not hockey. I still have my skates and can hit the rink once a year if that. I need a coach to remember my dance steps I used to do and we of course do not have one up here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like wonderful times.......

    ReplyDelete
  9. When I was very young we lived in north western Vermont. My father would flood a large field next to our house for skating -- and even had rigged up lights so kids could skate at night. The first pair of skates I ever had were white hockey skates -- but I longed for figure skates. I would skate all the hours God gave me to, and then later when I was in school the parents manned another ice skating rink where the whole school would meet almost every day. But that was definitely not where I got my first kiss ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ice rinks are beautiful (in my case, only to look at). The one in NY City is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Inger, what great memories...I lived in front of a river which froze every winter and we enjoed the same type of fun and recreation! I loved it and gosh, I have such fond memories!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Inger, what wonderful flashbacks you must have!...:)JP

    ReplyDelete
  13. I grew up ice skating in North Dakota. Thanks for reminding me of such good times.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It will be fine, Samson. Lots of treats for you, buddy.

    I used to figure skate a l-o-n-g time ago. Love the ice!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I first learned to ice skate in college. Only did it once or twice, but liked it. Can't do it now, but I still think it's fun to watch. (Especially speed skating...)

    Cat

    ReplyDelete
  16. I never would have guessed that you were a speed skater. It's just not a California thing! But, I can so easily picture you doing it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Inger, first time visitor and great to meet you! I grew up in Michigan and miss the ice and snow. I wasn;t a good skater, but had lots of fun anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You're so talented, Inger. Speed skating isn't for the faint of heart. I can't skate, was on skates once and retired when I finally got around the rink without falling. Oh, but you had glorious winters on ice!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I grew up on a lake in Indiana and spent many winter days ice skating. Reading this brought back all those wonderful memories for me.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Really interesting blog covering with valuable information, I am always looking for such kind of blog that provide great information so thanks for shared with us
    Figure Ice Skates

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment.. ~~ Inger

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails