Monday, March 19, 2012

Snow and Tracks in the Canyon


Thanks for your comments -- yes, a virtual walk sounds like a great idea, Rob-bear. I couldn't resist going for a real one today, but didn't make it very far. 

 
 Soldier's ears!
Yes, my Swedish friend, we do get snow in California. You can famously get from the beach to the snow in a couple of hours if you live in Los Angeles. Here in the pass, we are at around 4,000 feet -- the Tehachapis go up to almost 8,000 feet. We are located at the very southern end of the Sierra Nevada mountains in California. This winter has been the first one with little snow since we moved here, so I was very happy with the blizzard we had yesterday. It will melt fast so I just had to go out and take a few pictures. 


There were some strange tracks in the snow that must have been a jack rabbit jumping in deep snow. But I'm not sure.


A juniper tree heavy with snow.


I didn't even make it to the barn. I need a lot of work to build my strength up. The snow went over my boots, so it was hard work, but so much fun. Normally, we'd go hiking all over the land in this kind of weather. 


Jack rabbit tracks, perhaps. Wish I was a tracker! The distance between the tracks was huge.


After we got in the house, the dogs let loose, barking like crazy. By the time I got to the window, the coyote was way down on the road. But it had gone right past our living room window, leaving these nice tracks in the snow.


I don't think you can see the coyote tracks here, but doesn't the Jeep look cute, covered in snow?
Annette, thanks for giving the storm warning. I had no idea all this was coming.
Janie Junebug, I haven't been in my email for almost a month. I need to figure out how to get to you blog all over again. 
Fishducky, I will get to emails later this week. I don't have energy to deal with them all and I have to get our income taxes ready for the tax lady today and tomorrow.
Upupaepops, I wish you were here to interpret all the tracks in the snow for me. It's interesting to imagine that all these critters are here all the time and you just don't know.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails