Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Tuesday's Treasures & Things

Things:  The modification of comments over one day old worked just fine. This morning I had five comments that needed to be modified. I may extend that to a couple of days later since I don't post every day. I didn't realize that so many of you had already removed word verification. I think it slows us down so much and I'm glad I got onboard too.

Yesterday afternoon, my blood sugars (I have type 1, insulin dependent, diabetes) were very high. When they are, you are supposed to take injections with a syringe, and not use your insulin pump. I guess I was a bit disoriented, because I forgot this rule and used the pump. Then I got terribly ill, vomited, and felt awful. I remembered that this was a sign of having ketones, a serious problem. I checked again, and my sugars were off the meter chart, which meant they were over 600  (100 is normal for me, less for healthy people). That's when I got my book that told me what to do: Take insulin with a syringe, take more than I normally would, drink a lot of water, and check every hour. And change the reservoir in the insulin pump. This I did and felt better after several hours.

This incident, I have never had one this bad in 20 years, reminded me that this disease is no joke and that it doesn't take long for serious problems to develop. I was very happy that my husband was here.

Now to this Tuesday's treasure. When I first started Tuesday's Treasures, I thought I would just post a photo with a few lines. Little did I realize that every treasure has a story to tell and these posts would soon become the most fun to write. Today, I'm back to my original idea of just a few lines.




This demitasse was a gift from my friend Lin. I helped her downsize back in 2006 when she moved to a senior citizen's home, the Motion Picture and Television Fund one, a lovely place in Woodland Hills, California, where she still lives. She gave me some beautiful things at the time, including the cabinet that houses my china. This cup was made in Japan and the saucer that doesn't match it, in Austria.




When you finish your coffee, you see this rose in the bottom of the cup. I think it's very pretty and I treasure it with all the other things Lin gave me. But most of all I treasure the fact that she is still around, as sharp and funny as always, at the age of 89.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails