Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Tuesday's Treasures & Things


Welcome Vicki Lane, John Gray, and Cheryl Ann...I'm so glad you signed up to follow my blog.

Last night as I wrapped myself in my ruana and sat down on the couch to watch the finale of Dancing with the Stars, I began to wonder what my treasure for today would be. I had no idea and no treasure came to mind. I even got up and wandered around my house, but didn't feel inspired. Then I thought, as I wrapped the nice woolen blanket tighter around myself, this is my treasure, right here. And a treasure it is... it keeps me warm during these cold winter months.

A long time ago, I lived for 12 years in Princeton, N. J. and there I met Bianca and Guillermo, a very nice and lively couple from Columbia. After a trip back home they gave me this authentic Columbian ruana. 


Here I am today all wrapped up and it is just as nice and warm as it was back then. It even looks like new. (My haircut is by my friend Rachael. Just a little asides for those of you who have followed me for a while.) 


The ruana also makes a nice throw.


Or a small, but warm blanket.


Here is some proof of both its and my longevity. I believe this is from a mid-60s trip to New Hampshire. 


And this is also from the 1960s. I remember this: It's from a trip to New Brunswick, Canada, and I am looking at the Bay of Fundy as it meets the Saint John river and famously makes the flow of the river reverse itself for several hours during high tide. An interesting natural wonder to behold.


And here I am all wrapped up on the UCLA campus sometime in the 1970s. You would all crack up if I showed you the very 1970s style of clothes I'm wearing under the ruana. I had to laugh out loud myself.

And on a completely different subject, this is what I did with the apples yesterday. It doesn't look all that great, but it tasted really good and all that cinnamon made the house smell like Christmas. I just sliced the apples and layered them in this dish (is this a Pyrex -- do I own a Pyrex dish after all?? Jim?? Sharon?? Let me know!!). I sprinkled brown sugar and cinnamon between the layers, dotted it with a little butter and put some water in the bottom. Then I baked it for 25 minutes at 375. And it came out so good, I'm happy to say. Simple and easy, just the way I like it and nothing went to waste as the dogs, happily ate the apple cores. Thank you so much all of you who offered recipes and suggestions. I have to look into how to make some of the apple dishes you mentioned.


Another big storm is supposed to come our way, bringing more snow and up 60 mph wind gusts. I just love it!! I'll let you know what happens.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails