Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Tuesday's Treasures & Things



Welcome two new followers, Armindo Tavares whose blog is about raising birds, I believe.(The language is Portuguese and I haven't tried the Google translator yet.) And also a warm welcome to a new follower, a woman from Russia, who is in real estate, but whose name I don't know how to write in English. Here's the link to her blog: berseneva.blogspot.com 


Every Saturday, I look forward to finding out what's "new" on Jim's Retro Saturday post on his blog, Ocean Breezes. Last Saturday, Jim posted pictures of a bowl, a wonderful example of early 1960s table ware. This reminded me that I may just have a few treasures from that period myself. I checked my drawers where I have my dishes and found this:



I believe this dish is very representative of the period in Sweden. When I first got it, back then in the 1960s, I'm afraid I used it as an ash tray. After we moved here, I found this dish, and a ceramic vase that sort of matches it, looked really good on a side table in our living room. That was until Samson arrived in his joyous puppy stage and everything was put away. It will come back out again soon, as Samson is growing up.


The dish was made at the Swedish porcelain/ceramic factory, Rorstrand. I look at it and smile, remembering how things used to look in Sweden back then. 


A Health Update:


I want to thank all of you, my dear blogger friends, for asking how I am doing with my back and for even remembering that I hurt myself. I mean we all have busy lives here, but still, you do remember and you do ask. This is touching my heart and I want you to know that. 


The good news is that my back pain is getting better. Yesterday, I had my appointment with my endocrinologist (diabetes doctor), Dr. E., in Bakersfield. I have had some problems with my primary care doctor, Dr. R., here in town, so I run things by Dr. E., because I trust him completely. He was so concerned about my bones that he called the radiology lab in town (I had gotten approval for a bone scan, but Dr. R. didn't indicate that it was important to do this asap) and asked them to see me right away. They agreed, so we went there and were done with it within the hour. I have to wait about four days to find out if I have osteoporosis. According to Dr. E., I have it, but we will find out how bad and what to do to treat it. He said I must do all I can to avoid breaking a hip. This is true, of course, and I am so grateful to have found a doctor like him here. He is as good and as caring as the best doctors I saw at UCLA. But all this has made me feel so darned old. Nothing wrong with being old, but I don't like not being able to trust my own strength. I guess that's something you have to learn as you grow old. Accepting things. The good news is that my diabetes control and my cholesterol are both getting better. I will let you know about my bones when I get the test results. And, yes, I know it could be much worse.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails